The Student Room Group

Is preferring coursework to exams lazy?

I like to think I always put in maximum effort on everything grade related, and it's not that I don't study/try on exams, it's just that with coursework I have more time, there's a more relaxed environment, and I have time to go over it and correct any mistakes, and I feel less stress and pressure when I can edit anything I'm unsure on, but with exams it's the complete opposite.

In the time I've been at college I've done 5 AS courseworks and 3 A level courseworks and the lowest grade I got on any of them is a (high) B, and the rest of them were A or A-.
I try my best with revision and everything, but by the time I come out of exams my overall grade (with test results taken into account) is usually more like a B or C.

I was discussing unis and exams and stuff with my dad and he said preferring coursework to tests and choosing a uni that grades based more on coursework than exams makes me lazy and not willing to put in the effort. He said I was trying to take the path of least resistance and get by on the bare minimum amount of effort.

I thought I was just being practical by choosing a uni that bases the grades more on my strengths than my weaknesses, but is he right?
Original post by Anonymous
I like to think I always put in maximum effort on everything grade related, and it's not that I don't study/try on exams, it's just that with coursework I have more time, there's a more relaxed environment, and I have time to go over it and correct any mistakes, and I feel less stress and pressure when I can edit anything I'm unsure on, but with exams it's the complete opposite.

In the time I've been at college I've done 5 AS courseworks and 3 A level courseworks and the lowest grade I got on any of them is a (high) B, and the rest of them were A or A-.
I try my best with revision and everything, but by the time I come out of exams my overall grade (with test results taken into account) is usually more like a B or C.

I was discussing unis and exams and stuff with my dad and he said preferring coursework to tests and choosing a uni that grades based more on coursework than exams makes me lazy and not willing to put in the effort. He said I was trying to take the path of least resistance and get by on the bare minimum amount of effort.

I thought I was just being practical by choosing a uni that bases the grades more on my strengths than my weaknesses, but is he right?

Your dad is wrong. Coursework suits some and others prefer exams. Some have different aptitudes. I think exams are harder imo. Just do what gets you the best grades and onto the course you want.
No I think the opposite preferring exams to coursework is lazy, I just think that, albeit there being more nerves present, exams require a little less work and I prefer them because I'm lazy
Each to their own strengths, I'm far stronger in exams, I don't get creative block, i don't need to be 'in the mood' to revise and you can get the whole thing out the way quite quick. i'll do good written work, but i'll procrastinate a lot more over it and it'll mess up my anxiety and work/life balance more. Had plenty of students ask how the hell i could be so cool and collected come exam time, but just the same I marveled how some of them could just fart out a passing report in a day or two while i would agonise for a month plus over the same work and mess myself up.

I go back part time to mop up the last of my 2nd year next year and like 80% is just exams, it'll be an unbelievable skoosh :biggrin:
If anything it's probably the other way round. When you factor in the weighting I typically spend longer on coursework than I do revising. Also you can get away with last-minute cramming for an exam whereas some coursework assignments require too much work to do last minute.

That said, I definitely think coursework is easier.
But you still have to put in effort for your coursework. Some coursework (such as GCSE Science and similar) does require you to do experiments, etc. too.
Original post by Student-95
If anything it's probably the other way round. When you factor in the weighting I typically spend longer on coursework than I do revising. Also you can get away with last-minute cramming for an exam whereas some coursework assignments require too much work to do last minute.

That said, I definitely think coursework is easier.

Last minute cramming doesn't work at top unis.. Everyone else would have been sweating revision for at least a few weeks before.. Tried doing that this past exam season and learnt the hard way that **** doesn't fly.

Whereas, I went out the night before exams at my old uni and got a first, 2 2:1s and a 3rd.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Last minute cramming doesn't work at top unis.. Everyone else would have been sweating revision for at least a few weeks before.. Tried doing that this past exam season and learnt the hard way that **** doesn't fly.

Whereas, I went out the night before exams at my old uni and got a first, 2 2:1s and a 3rd.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I did chemical engineering at a top uni and it worked for me. Guess it will depend on the individual though - some people at top unis aren't especially intelligent but make up for it by working very hard but it's an option for more capable students.
There are several different sides to this, and ultimately neither is better or worse and it varies a lot depending on the actual rubric and course content (i.e. what is being assessed). However it's hard to generalise what is most advisable for you without more information.

It depends on what you want to do really, both at uni and beyond - for some areas, it may not really be an issue in the long run; for others, you are likely to have necessarily a fair amount of coursework, whether by formative or summative assessment, alongside exams, at least at uni (for example: language degrees, chemistry, etc).

If you want to go into banking, then you are necessarily going to need to do a primarily exam based course, because they only care where you go to uni, and all the "preferred" universities only offer such courses. Similarly, if you want to go into Law, you should expect to spend at least a couple years in an exam focused environment, because pretty much all routes into the area require it at one stage or another (how much this is necessary or relevant to the role is beyond the scope of this thread).

However if you want to go into e.g. a number of IT or software development roles, a course which has more coursework content may be suitable (it would likely require you to sell yourself more in the interview by discussing the specific examples from your work on the coursework that prepare you for the job role, as it's less likely you would have a "brand name" on your CV in that case). For most creative industries, a more coursework oriented course isn't necessarily desirable in of itself but realistically necessary to develop an appropriate portfolio by the end of it to actually get a job. For some lab based roles in e.g. chemical or life sciences, even if you don't do as well in exams, if you did well in the lab portions, and are able to discuss this in relation to the job appropriately in interviews, many lab technician or maybe manager/coordinator type roles might not only be possible bu in fact preferable to you.

Again, it's hard to say without having any idea of what you're studying, what you might want to study, and whether you have any notion of what you want to go onto after that. While you may not have a concrete idea for the latter two now, without even any indication it's impossible to really give you a straight answer, other than the correspondingly vague advice above...
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
There are several different sides to this, and ultimately neither is better or worse and it varies a lot depending on the actual rubric and course content (i.e. what is being assessed). However it's hard to generalise what is most advisable for you without more information.

It depends on what you want to do really, both at uni and beyond - for some areas, it may not really be an issue in the long run; for others, you are likely to have necessarily a fair amount of coursework, whether by formative or summative assessment, alongside exams, at least at uni (for example: language degrees, chemistry, etc).

If you want to go into banking, then you are necessarily going to need to do a primarily exam based course, because they only care where you go to uni, and all the "preferred" universities only offer such courses. Similarly, if you want to go into Law, you should expect to spend at least a couple years in an exam focused environment, because pretty much all routes into the area require it at one stage or another (how much this is necessary or relevant to the role is beyond the scope of this thread).

However if you want to go into e.g. a number of IT or software development roles, a course which has more coursework content may be suitable (it would likely require you to sell yourself more in the interview by discussing the specific examples from your work on the coursework that prepare you for the job role, as it's less likely you would have a "brand name" on your CV in that case). For most creative industries, a more coursework oriented course isn't necessarily desirable in of itself but realistically necessary to develop an appropriate portfolio by the end of it to actually get a job. For some lab based roles in e.g. chemical or life sciences, even if you don't do as well in exams, if you did well in the lab portions, and are able to discuss this in relation to the job appropriately in interviews, many lab technician or maybe manager/coordinator type roles might not only be possible bu in fact preferable to you.

Again, it's hard to say without having any idea of what you're studying, what you might want to study, and whether you have any notion of what you want to go onto after that. While you may not have a concrete idea for the latter two now, without even any indication it's impossible to really give you a straight answer, other than the correspondingly vague advice above...

I'm doing English at undergrad and thinking I might do high school or college level teaching with it
Original post by Princepieman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, same with me, I tried cramming and I’m sure I’ve absolutely flopped. Tbh I’ve found that at uni once you fall behind it’s tough to get back on track. At school/sixth form I used to just rely on being able to piece everything together last minute
I'm doing English at undergrad and thinking I might do high school or college level teaching with it

In that case it isn't such a pressing issue, because with the short supply for teaching staff they're hardly going to quibble over whether the course is exam or coursework based primarily.

However having some exam experience will likely provide you helpful context for preparing your students for their eventual exams.

@04MR17 has an interest in the education side of things and might be able to offer some more advise on that side :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Coursework still needs effort, so your dad is incorrect in saying that this is lazy!

Different assessments will suit different types of people. With coursework, you will be constantly working and researching for a piece that you submit before the deadline. With exams, you revise over the content you have learnt, perhaps do a little wider reading, and apply it to the exam questions. With exams you don't know what they will ask, whereas with coursework, you know what topic you are writing for. For me, exams suited me more.

I think you are quite sensible to pick the unis that suit you and your style more. You would still need to put in the work, but assessment by coursework will work in your favour. At the same time, try to improve your exam technique, as it is unlikely that all of your assessments will be by coursework. Look at practise questions, preparing essay plans and making notes concisely and effectively.
Original post by StriderHort
Each to their own strengths, I'm far stronger in exams, I don't get creative block, i don't need to be 'in the mood' to revise and you can get the whole thing out the way quite quick. i'll do good written work, but i'll procrastinate a lot more over it and it'll mess up my anxiety and work/life balance more. Had plenty of students ask how the hell i could be so cool and collected come exam time, but just the same I marveled how some of them could just fart out a passing report in a day or two while i would agonise for a month plus over the same work and mess myself up.

I go back part time to mop up the last of my 2nd year next year and like 80% is just exams, it'll be an unbelievable skoosh :biggrin:

Same (I’m only just out of GCSE’s though).

Music is something I love and I did great in the coursework (full marks). But I spent more time on my compositions (30% of course) than any exam. I was in every lunchtime for about a year because I’m a massive perfectionist.

I think many feel the same way for the same reasons you outlined - I certainly prefer coursework over exams but it's not lazy.
Original post by artful_lounger
In that case it isn't such a pressing issue, because with the short supply for teaching staff they're hardly going to quibble over whether the course is exam or coursework based primarily.

However having some exam experience will likely provide you helpful context for preparing your students for their eventual exams.

@04MR17 has an interest in the education side of things and might be able to offer some more advise on that side :smile:
You said it. The way the system works means that as a future teacher you may likely be preparing students to face exams. Sitting exams requires a particular mindset to do well, having a good aptitude for it, as 999tigger said perfectly, is important and instilling that into pupils will make you a good teacher (from the school's point of view - they focus on results).

Depending on government levels of coursework / exam ratio and dependency varies - especially for somethinf like English. Right now it's very exam weighted. 5 years ago it was quite different. That's the nature of education reform.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending