The Student Room Group

Resitting UKCAT

Hi there,

I currently hold two offers for Medicine, but I did quite bad in my UKCAT last year and am considering resitting this summer so that I could maybe get a better score and apply to other universities I couldn't apply to last year. I know this sounds strange since I already have two offers but there are other universities out there that I would be interested in and I want to give myself a lot of options when it comes to results day. For example, if I do better in my UKCAT I can apply to other universities next year, like Glasgow and Newcastle, but that would mean personal statement, interviews etc all over again, or if I do badly, I can just stick with the offers I have and find out where I'm going on results day. So what should I do? Retake my UKCAT? And if I do resit and do badly, will this effect the offers I currently hold?

I would really appreciate some help, I really don't know what to do!

Original post by halfbloodprncss
Hi there,

I currently hold two offers for Medicine, but I did quite bad in my UKCAT last year and am considering resitting this summer so that I could maybe get a better score and apply to other universities I couldn't apply to last year. I know this sounds strange since I already have two offers but there are other universities out there that I would be interested in and I want to give myself a lot of options when it comes to results day. For example, if I do better in my UKCAT I can apply to other universities next year, like Glasgow and Newcastle, but that would mean personal statement, interviews etc all over again, or if I do badly, I can just stick with the offers I have and find out where I'm going on results day. So what should I do? Retake my UKCAT? And if I do resit and do badly, will this effect the offers I currently hold?

Why does it make a difference where you go? You end up with the same degree.
You're studying dentistry. The university shouldn't matter unless you have a major preference for one city over the other or something else. Remember, the majority of people don't even get offers first time around so count yourself very fortunate. Giving away the 2 offers to reapply would be wasting an opportunity you might not get again
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi there,

As already mentioned, where you get a degree in medicine from will make no difference at the end of the day. You have two offers and that is fantastic, many struggle to get one. And as you said, the UKCAT is not the only thing that you would have to redo if you reapplied, and there is no guarantee of receiving offers next cycle even if you got offers this cycle.

That said, if you are willing to shell out money to sit the UKCAT again, there is nothing stopping you. I just think its a waste of money that you could be saving for the future.
Hi there,

What don't you like about the universities you currently hold offers from?

It's pointless in my opinion, but i guess you wouldn't lose anything by taking the UKCAT again before your results.
I personally think it’s a very bad plan. I am a EU student and have applied to 3 countries, and have 9 offers in total. I recognize right now what a waste of my time it was getting so worried and applying to France, the uk and the Netherlands. Seriously, just take a break and choose the school you prefer the most between the two that have given you an offer. You can spend your time in such a better way, and you should be grateful and glad for your results!
Two offers?! I'm so jealous! When you graduate you can always relocate if wanting to stay local is your thing? You could sit the UKCAT again and I don't see how it would affect your current offers... But i'd be careful about turning down two offers for the hope that you can get some more again next year! You could end up not getting in anywhere! You could sit again and if you get a high score then consider it? But don't turn those offers down unless you're absolutely certain!
Thanks everyone for your responses, I really appreciate it! The reason I’m considering reapplying is because my firm choice is a really local uni that many people I know will go to. I would quite like to experience something new and different- but I suppose you’re right, I could do that after I graduate. I’m putting so much pressure on the decision of where i should go next year because I just want everything to be perfect! But I understand that can’t be the case.
Thanks everyone for your responses, I really appreciate it! The reason I’m considering reapplying is because my firm choice is a really local uni that many people I know will go to. I would quite like to experience something new and different- but I suppose you’re right, I could do that after I graduate. I’m putting so much pressure on the decision of where i should go next year because I just want everything to be perfect! But I understand that can’t be the case.

What about your second offer? Is that local too?
No it’s not local, I think it would be a good place for me! But whether I go there or not depends on my results so it’s not something I can control right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending