Should I take A-Level Geology

Watch this thread
cbutler100
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I know I want to take Chemistry and Maths, However Im unsure if I should take a level geology. I take gcse geography and I am enjoying the course but I'm unsure about geology. Can someone tell me if it's enjoyable , what you'll learn about and what type of people will enjoy it . Can you also tell me if it will benefit me as i want to take a chemistry degree. I know physics or biology would benefit me more but I don't really want to take them so is geology a good alternative ?
RhynieChert
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
maths and chemistry are the most important a levels for a chemistry degree so geology is a fine third a level! most important thing to do is take the course that you feel you will enjoy most and get the best grade in. you should be able to get an idea of the content and if you'd enjoy it by looking up the specification for the a level online
username4156622
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cbutler100)
I know I want to take Chemistry and Maths, However Im unsure if I should take a level geology. I take gcse geography and I am enjoying the course but I'm unsure about geology. Can someone tell me if it's enjoyable , what you'll learn about and what type of people will enjoy it . Can you also tell me if it will benefit me as i want to take a chemistry degree. I know physics or biology would benefit me more but I don't really want to take them so is geology a good alternative ?
I took geology on a whim. *Not the wisest move tbh* but yeah, it's one of my best subjects. It's like the physical side of geography just with waaay more science added. I'm with the Welsh board wjec I think?... and we learn the basics in the first year, not sure abt the second. We learnt for the fundamentals,
- earth structure
- igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks
- fossils
- deformation, faults and mapwork
* surprisingly there s a lot of mapwork

We're now on the geological themes now, earthquakes mass movement etc. With chem and maths you'll be fine as geology counts as a second science I believe *I cannot stress this enough check the entry requirements to chem courses at universities*. It's also quite a different thing to other applicants which might make you stand out but check with different universities. Tbh a lot of people take geology on a whim but don't realise that it's just as much work as a regular science and plus with our exam board we do a lot of practical skills like using klinometers and planning investigations identifying minerals and rocks *there s a whole practical paper*. The type of person to enjoy geology varies but if you're fine with the above you'll be fine, the way you learn, at least how we learnt, is very structured and to my knowledge there are no long essay questions anymore (thank the lord)
Sorry this is long I hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (90)
42.65%
They're exactly what I expected (49)