Want more information about this university?

How is the area for Queen Mary's University London for students?

Watch
The Memory Cell
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, so i recently went to an open day for medicine in barts and qmul. Everything about the university was perfect except from the area it was in. As soon as you get out of the university, you are in a very rundown area and it seems like a dangerous place if you don't know where you're going. This is the only thing thats deterring me away from applying. If anyone goes to the actual university, please do speak up on how the area itself is and life living there is.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah the area is rubbish. I avoid it as much as I can. But I might also be biased - others love the 'multicultural' aspect of the area and there's this whole 'Barts community' feel but I just don't really feel it tbh.

Edit: this is for the Whitechapel campus. The main campus at Mile End is marginally better.
EnterUsername.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Never been, but the East End of London always seemed incredibly dodgy....
haseebj49
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by The Memory Cell)
Hi, so i recently went to an open day for medicine in barts and qmul. Everything about the university was perfect except from the area it was in. As soon as you get out of the university, you are in a very rundown area and it seems like a dangerous place if you don't know where you're going. This is the only thing thats deterring me away from applying. If anyone goes to the actual university, please do speak up on how the area itself is and life living there is.
I went to the open day last Saturday too and I literally didn't even notice the university from outside 😂 I do agree that the streets outside do seem a little unsafe and confusing - but only for qmul.
Whitechapel seemed OK but it was right next to the massive hospital which was quite intimidating 😂
pereira325
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you talking about Mile End? Welcome to London, my friend. Ok, at least not the posh parts... It's really not a big deal though I mean you just walk through and get on with your life. Everyone else does the same.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Mile End isn’t very dangerous. alrhough not visually pleasing, the main road is always crowded. Nobody will do anything to you there.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The thing is I was born in a very rough area of which catered for the burgers and johnsons so this is nothing new to me. Its the actual area. I'm also quite flashy so i'm worried i might get robbed.
You won’t get robbed. The high road is always busy.
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
lol damn ppl. TBH mile end and Whitechapel are very close to the centre of London, if you walk down the street queen Mary is on, you’ll slowly see it become more dilapidated and see council estates and such for a few mins, then out of nowhere skyscrapers and modern buildings= Liverpool street/central London. its a road like many, if you actually live anywhere near central london. Queen mary is also actually in London, its not to hard to get to, there’s a few tube stations close by to both the Whitechapel and mile end campus, mostly the central line going to them( which is one of the most packed hottest tube line). The scholarships and nursery they offer are also great.

In all honesty the area its in is like much of London, theres very nice and very bad areas just crammed right next to each other, the rich and the poor areas literally a few mins away. The Ares they are in are is the working class area of london though, or what was it, it slowly being gentrified. Both campus also have a large Asian population, its in tower hamlet, which is a very small but heavily populated borough of london, it also has a Asain population near the same size as the white poluation. Mainly bangali, it’s the place they moved into when a large amount of them emigrated in the 70’s to 80’s, since the area what cheap and run down, always had been( it’s the place jack the ripper did his murders) . it’s pretty much got the largest population of Bengalis youll find in the UK.

But it’s a good uni, and honestly its in london, walk a few mins and youll be centra london, hackney, Camden,Islington, Haringay ect ect. If the fact its in a working class area put you off, them that fine, since there loads of people, esp in east london, that wanna go to it, so no lose for them really.

Also comeone people, i live in east london, i have friends that love close to queen mary, i have walked down that street at midnight many times, its safe .... if your from a little village, the other people on the street might be too much for you, but the street are pretty safe, as a londoner there a lot of other places, mostly outside of zone 2, where theres less people and street lights and gangs, that i have been more worried about walking down, that the student and people infested street near queen mary ... if you wanna see the real london, outside the west and the centra, the area outside queen marry is it ( like someone above has mentioned).
The Memory Cell
Rep:
?
(Original post by rimstone)
lol damn ppl. TBH mile end and Whitechapel are very close to the centre of London, if you walk down the street queen Mary is on, you’ll slowly see it become more dilapidated and see council estates and such for a few mins, then out of nowhere skyscrapers and modern buildings= Liverpool street/central London. its a road like many, if you actually live anywhere near central london. Queen mary is also actually in London, its not to hard to get to, there’s a few tube stations close by to both the Whitechapel and mile end campus, mostly the central line going to them( which is one of the most packed hottest tube line). The scholarships and nursery they offer are also great.

In all honesty the area its in is like much of London, theres very nice and very bad areas just crammed right next to each other, the rich and the poor areas literally a few mins away. The Ares they are in are is the working class area of london though, or what was it, it slowly being gentrified. Both campus also have a large Asian population, its in tower hamlet, which is a very small but heavily populated borough of london, it also has a Asain population near the same size as the white poluation. Mainly bangali, it’s the place they moved into when a large amount of them emigrated in the 70’s to 80’s, since the area what cheap and run down, always had been( it’s the place jack the ripper did his murders) . it’s pretty much got the largest population of Bengalis youll find in the UK.

But it’s a good uni, and honestly its in london, walk a few mins and youll be centra london, hackney, Camden,Islington, Haringay ect ect. If the fact its in a working class area put you off, them that fine, since there loads of people, esp in east london, that wanna go to it, so no lose for them really.

Also comeone people, i live in east london, i have friends that love close to queen mary, i have walked down that street at midnight many times, its safe .... if your from a little village, the other people on the street might be too much for you, but the street are pretty safe, as a londoner there a lot of other places, mostly outside of zone 2, where theres less people and street lights and gangs, that i have been more worried about walking down, that the student and people infested street near queen mary ... if you wanna see the real london, outside the west and the centra, the area outside queen marry is it ( like someone above has mentioned).
Thank you for taking your time to reply. As with the village thing, I'm originally from Birmingham and thus very skeptical about moving to an area which has none of my relatives in it and is a bit of an antisocial area. I am also Bengali, so will be less of a target considering the nature of the people there? Also, what kind of recreating is there around the Uni? I'm not about that clubbing life so don't have to worry about that but what is there to do? When I attended the open day, The area was just full of food shops and i had to take a few trains to get to central london to get to the recreation. Thanks again
The Memory Cell
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andrew97)
You won’t get robbed. The high road is always busy.
What about the areas outside the high roadd?
pereira325
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The thing is I was born in a very rough area of which catered for the burgers and johnsons so this is nothing new to me. Its the actual area. I'm also quite flashy so i'm worried i might get robbed.
Mate you'll be alright. I'm brown too and there are loads of brown people at queen marys. It's a very multi-cultural uni and all religions are there too if you are worried about that either.
It sounds like you'll be just fine and it might remind you of home lol. I have not been robbed and not heard of anyone else in my course being robbed either. I mean there's always a risk of being robbed in London in general tbh but it doesn't seem to be anything more
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for taking your time to reply. As with the village thing, I'm originally from Birmingham and thus very skeptical about moving to an area which has none of my relatives in it and is a bit of an antisocial area. I am also Bengali, so will be less of a target considering the nature of the people there? Also, what kind of recreating is there around the Uni? I'm not about that clubbing life so don't have to worry about that but what is there to do? When I attended the open day, The area was just full of food shops and i had to take a few trains to get to central london to get to the recreation. Thanks again

whats there to do ? TBH your from Birmingham( i go to a uni outside of london and tbh london and the things you can do there are unreal ), london is a great city, it has a ton of things to do, and i mean a ton. the public transport here is also great, 24/7 tubes, that go near both queen mary campus btw, 24/7 buses as well, so youll be able to easily get to all of london and use the facilities in london. Its not cheap though, which is one of the annoying things about living there, but the area in which queen mary is in, is known to be a cheaper area of london, which is great for students. And central london = zone 1, queen marry is in zone 2( mile end tube station is 3/4 stops from the end of zone 1..I.E its very close, queen mary is very close to the centra of london .. very very close if you want me to put it like that), it takes about 10 mins by tube to get into zone 1 and zone 3, youll be able to get to a lot of places and areas of london very quickly, so youll be able to do a lot.

if you want a honest answer, from some who lives in london, east london. Has many friends going queen mary, queen mary is a great UNI, it offers great education and is a gem in central east london, one of the best ( who am i kidding THE best ) uni in the area. The area it is in is safe, or as safe as london gets, there are no 100% 'safe'' places in london. i mean the fact your Bengali helps as well, most the gangs around that area are Bengali/asain and theyll most likely wont even bother with you, i mean they dont really a problem anyways. youll face less racism, cos no one gonna be racist to you when the amount of asain in the area are large, racist mostly single out ppl when theyre alone. but all in all, your honestly overthinking it .... its UNI bro, queen mary is a safe great UNI if thats what your asking . Like i said before and some of the people above have mildly knocked QM, if you dont think its for you no worries, there a large amount of ppl in east london, they offer great scholarships and bursaries to locals and outside, its russle group ( which means nothing tbh ... but yh its old ) that wanna go there ... so no lose for them.
angelinahx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I lived close to Mile End (Canning Town) in my first year in London before moving to the Paddington/Kensington area. Would avoid at all costs on principle because I had an awful experience there, but the area probably isn't too objectively bad - I was never harrassed or anything, I'm a single female and would come home late at night drunk sometimes and nothing ever happened, but it's generally poverty-strucken. There are definitely better areas in London and even in the East (Hoxton/Liverpool Street/Haggerston/Shoreditch).
The Memory Cell
Rep:
?
(Original post by angelinahx)
I lived close to Mile End (Canning Town) in my first year in London before moving to the Paddington/Kensington area. Would avoid at all costs on principle because I had an awful experience there, but the area probably isn't too objectively bad - I was never harrassed or anything, I'm a single female and would come home late at night drunk sometimes and nothing ever happened, but it's generally poverty-strucken. There are definitely better areas in London and even in the East (Hoxton/Liverpool Street/Haggerston/Shoreditch).
Yeah, I'm considering on having my accomodation in central london but we'll see. Thank you for your input
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (638)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (805)
42.24%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (377)
19.78%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.51%

Watched Threads