Getting a degree just for the sake of it - or should not bother wasting my time

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So basically I have very low self esteem. I feel like I'm not this enough or that enough.

The only thing I've got going for me is my looks, I just haven't got anything to say for myself. I got average GCSEs and failed my A levels twice and I'm very insecure about this.

You could say it doesn't really matter because I actually enjoy working in retail, it's the only thing I can see myself doing and I don't want some fancy career.

However I'm insecure about the fact I work in retail and feel like a degree would magically get rid of my self esteem issues.

But like I said, I still want to work in retail after my degree. When people ask what I'm doing in life, I can say I'm working in retail but my degree acts as a defence lol. I'll just say I couldn't find work in my field of study or couldn't be bothered to do a masters.

Do you think this is a good enough reason to go to uni - to get rid of my self esteem issues? Or should I just get over myself and not bother?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There's nothing to say that going to uni would help you at all. Would the debt really be worth it? And yes, I know it's not debt in that sense; but personally, I wouldn't go for that reason.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Going to uni with these issues may help, it may not or it may even make things worse. It would depend on the exact nature of the problem but for me crucially how much of a really good support network you had whilst at uni. Some don't have much of a support network at all.

This may be a controversial viewpoint but I think self esteem is a well meant but overused word. For people I have met that dubbed themselves as having very low self esteem, they had a lot of self hatred. Also depression, anxiety and other things. Getting rid of that if that were the issue people still have low self esteem but in an all right place and then can use the buzzwords and techniques widely advertised to raise it.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some people, including me, found going to uni actually made their depression worse. I had depression 2 years before. Sorted it. (mixture of a gap year and doing a completely different course) Or so I thought. I then spent the last 2 months or so of uni very ill.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (21)
6.09%
Uncertainty around my education (37)
10.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (40)
11.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (47)
13.62%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
4.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.64%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.72%
Financial worries (24)
6.96%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.35%
Exposure to negative news/social media (21)
6.09%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.9%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (35)
10.14%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (25)
7.25%

Watched Threads