The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I disagree. My parents stayed together for ten years for my sake when I was a kid and it made everyone in the family miserable. They were constantly arguing and there was a horrible atmosphere at home because they hated each other. The day they finally got a divorce was one the happiest days of my life. So I am only in favour of divorce and in fact not even getting married in the first place.

statistics don't care what you think, or for your own experiences.

They care about the average among many people - and the averages say that divorced or absent parents are the single most significant indicator towards the success of a child. They have a greater effect on potential earnings, crime rate, drug abuse, academic success, and the children's eventually ability to sustain relationships themselves, then any other single factor.

For every case like yours, there are more cases where the opposite is true. That normally plays out like this:

Couple are fighting and arguing a bit.. one side goes in for a divorce. The divorce takes two years to go through - during that time, thanks to our legal system, the tow members are pitted against each other and in essence told 'right, now you need to fight for all that you believe is yours'. The house, the kids, the money, the possessions, all are up in the air, and all need to be fought for. Lawyers get involved, it becomes very expensive, and both parties start to struggle financially. The process itself forces a much larger wedge between the two then existed before, and by the time the divorce is finalized, they both wish each other to be dead. After that they can enjoy years of arguing over custody and child-care issues, as they both look to remarry and introduce so much confusion into their kids lives.

Obviously a happy family is better then an unhappy family.. but generally speaking, as long as its not abusive, an unhappy family is better for children then a broken family.
Original post by fallen_acorns
statistics don't care what you think, or for your own experiences.

They care about the average among many people - and the averages say that divorced or absent parents are the single most significant indicator towards the success of a child. They have a greater effect on potential earnings, crime rate, drug abuse, academic success, and the children's eventually ability to sustain relationships themselves, then any other single factor.

For every case like yours, there are more cases where the opposite is true. That normally plays out like this:

Couple are fighting and arguing a bit.. one side goes in for a divorce. The divorce takes two years to go through - during that time, thanks to our legal system, the tow members are pitted against each other and in essence told 'right, now you need to fight for all that you believe is yours'. The house, the kids, the money, the possessions, all are up in the air, and all need to be fought for. Lawyers get involved, it becomes very expensive, and both parties start to struggle financially. The process itself forces a much larger wedge between the two then existed before, and by the time the divorce is finalized, they both wish each other to be dead. After that they can enjoy years of arguing over custody and child-care issues, as they both look to remarry and introduce so much confusion into their kids lives.

Obviously a happy family is better then an unhappy family.. but generally speaking, as long as its not abusive, an unhappy family is better for children then a broken family.

Correlation-Causation

You're missing a lot of nuance in this view of statistics - much of that nuance is specific to individuals/the calculus changes depending on non-quantitative parameters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Correlation-Causation

Is not a criticism without justification.

You're missing a lot of nuance in this view of statistics

Obviously in this case I am - I haven't provided or referenced any of the evidence, and I am talking in huge generalizations.

- much of that nuance is specific to individuals/the calculus changes depending on non-quantitative parameters.

I don't see how this contradicts what I said at all. Obviously each individual case is specific, and you could have a very nuanced discussion that focused on the incredible verity of circumstances.. but its equally useful to look at large statistical trends. If I am discussing an individual case then yes, lets look at the circumstances and the 'nuance' you want - but if you want to talk about divorce or any other societal matter on a larger scale, then you can't get stuck speculating about non-quantitative parameters. Instead its most useful to talk broadly, using the best data we have, to draw the best conclusions for society as a whole.

Posted from TSR Mobile

in bold
This comment section is briliant
Ofc I don't want every guy down every corner to have shagged my gf
Honestly I do care in a sense because it’s makes me feel less special to my partner. Think about it. Your partner was free and single and have sex with multiple people of which she didn’t love. And may have had no limits with. But with you it’s different. She loves you but it still hurts to know that there been multiple guys who have slept and even possibly came in her. I still love my girlfriend but now our sex life doesn’t feel so special anymore.
Original post by Isaiahjones2001
Honestly I do care in a sense because it’s makes me feel less special to my partner. Think about it. Your partner was free and single and have sex with multiple people of which she didn’t love. And may have had no limits with. But with you it’s different. She loves you but it still hurts to know that there been multiple guys who have slept and even possibly came in her. I still love my girlfriend but now our sex life doesn’t feel so special anymore.

The thread's a little on the old side to be replying to. :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending