The Student Room Group

Should I go to uni just for the sake of it or not bother

I would've posted this in the mental health section but it wouldn't let me.

So basically I have very low self esteem. I feel like I'm not this enough or that enough. The only thing I've got going for me is my looks, I just haven't got anything to say for myself. I got average GCSEs and failed my A levels twice and I'm very insecure about this.

The thing is, you could say it doesn't really matter because I actually enjoy working in retail, it's the only thing I can see myself doing and I don't want some fancy career.

However I'm insecure about working in retail and feel like a degree would magically get rid of my self esteem issues.

But like I said, I still want to work in retail after my degree. When people ask what I'm doing in life, I can say I'm working in retail but my degree acts as a defence lol. I'll just say I couldn't find work in my field of study or couldn't be bothered to do a masters.

Do you think this is a good enough reason to go to uni - to get rid of my self esteem issues?

Or should I just get over myself and not bother?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I would've posted this in the mental health section but it wouldn't let me.

So basically I have very low self esteem. I feel like I'm not this enough or that enough. The only thing I've got going for me is my looks, I just haven't got anything to say for myself. I got average GCSEs and failed my A levels twice and I'm very insecure about this.

The thing is, you could say it doesn't really matter because I actually enjoy working in retail, it's the only thing I can see myself doing and I don't want some fancy career.

However I'm insecure about working in retail and feel like a degree would magically get rid of my self esteem issues.

But like I said, I still want to work in retail after my degree. When people ask what I'm doing in life, I can say I'm working in retail but my degree acts as a defence lol. I'll just say I couldn't find work in my field of study or couldn't be bothered to do a masters.

Do you think this is a good enough reason to go to uni - to get rid of my self esteem issues?

Or should I just get over myself and not bother?

Your self-esteem issues won't go away by trying to get a degree. I guarantee it. They'll get worse because of having to study and work long hours on something which you don't really want to do, or you'll find something else to start stressing over.

If you have low self-esteem in a certain field, that's something you need to work on and won't be fixed by a change of circumstances.
Going to uni will be a very costly (~£50k) change of circumstances that would simply temporarily postpone your issues.

If you enjoy working retail, ****ing work in retail, work your way up and get yourself to a comfy stable position. If anyone tries to bash that, they're the fools.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending