The Impact of Italian Renaissance on English

Watch
Kevin70
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The impact of Italian renaissance on English literature and culture is so deep that one can safely say that Italian Renaissance is the sole foundation of English literature.
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ehm..not quite but I dunno what Leonardo Da Vinci would say
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
:laugh:
Kevin70
Rep:
?
OK, as a start of my thread, I would like to compare the date of birth of Dante, the father of Italian language, and Chaucer, the father of English poetry.
Lit teacher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kevin70)
The impact of Italian renaissance on English literature and culture is so deep that one can safely say that Italian Renaissance is the sole foundation of English literature.
Beowulf
Piers Plowman
Gawain and the Green Knight
Canterbury Tales

English Literature existed before the renaissance. Sure, it had a major influence in the Elizabethan era but Shakespeare's drama was also heavily influenced by Greek and Roman writers.
Kevin70
Rep:
?
Dante was born in 1268 and died in 1321.
Chaucer was born 1343 and died in 1400.

Dante is the father of Italian literature and Chaucer is the father of English literature but Dante precedes Chaucer and from here the heavy influence of Italian literature on English literature starts, an overshadowing influence which spanned a period of over 300 years called the Italian Renaissance. English poetry, prose, drama, art, Opera, music, and even phiiosophy and theology were all completely shaped, formed and pruned by Italian Renaissance. How could Italy generate such a stunning phenomenon? What talent, asset, resources, genius and power existed in Italy to create such a glorious phenomenon beautifully called in sweet Latin language Renaissance. Dante’s Divine Comedy becomes the summit of a mountain every English poet and writer strives to reach but in vain. In art Michaelangelo, Da Vinci, Caravaggio and hundred others reach the highest level attainable not even by superhumans. In theology and philosophy and architecture Italy produces works that remain unsurpassed for ever. Florence, Venice and Verona become the utopia not only for the English but the rest of whole Europe. But how about music? Italian Renaissance composers introduced almost every music term into English language: Piano, Forte, Crescendo, Volte, Tempo, ad infinitum and most importantly they introduced us with Opera and Concert.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.17%
I'm not sure (59)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (382)
29.25%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (643)
49.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed