Extended (BTEC) Diploma under UAL; Extenuating Circumstances Watch

Saphie B
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've recently hit a bit of a brick wall in terms of getting into university... said brick wall being my result of a Pass for my Extended Diploma in Animation. See, the way the grading works on my course is that final project of each year 100% determines the grades. For my Subsidiary (first year), I achieved a highly graded Merit, which I was informed was only a few marks off of a Distinction, missing only tad bits of criticism and linking between the topics I covered. This year, I was expected to get a Merit, with my target for the year being a Distinction.Unfortunately, as of March 2018, less than a month after my final project started, my father was assaulted and put into the neurological unit of intensive care. I won't go into too much detail, but he came out of hospital and into an intensive rehabilitation centre just over a month ago. He has not recovered as fast as expected, and while he is able to walk and talk, his critical thinking skills have not quite made a comeback; he is able to make a cup of tea with supervision, but his cooking (something he excelled at before) and decision-making skills are very much still lacking. He is unlikely to fully recover for years, if at all.The impact this has had on me is astounding, and the only word I can put to my current mental state is 'traumatised'. I have had to sign the consent forms, I've had to see my dad in his most vulnerable state. I had to be there on the days the doctors spoke to us about the very possible chance he could've died. I had to keep it all in, to protect my 6 year old sister who couldn't comprehend why our dad couldn't come and visit us. I've had to put up with backlash from his family and weird new girlfriend (who has known him for six weeks but is oddly devoted to him in a borderline creepy way.) Because of the complaints they've made about me, my sister and my mother (who accompanies us both because a.she has a heart and cares, b. there aren't regular buses there, so she's our only transport) we are now locked out of the loop regarding what's going on and where he's going next. I was told I would be put into counselling by the hospital, and offered but never given the same by the college I'm at.I immediately informed my teacher when I went back to college around 3-4 weeks into this mess (before that I visited the hospital nearly everyday to sign the next form, or hear what comes next from the neurosurgeons), and they gave me a two week extension. Unsurprisingly, this was not enough. While I am happy I didn't fail, and I do have the option to take an Art Foundation Lvl3/4 diploma, I feel as if this grade does not reflect my capabilities... is there anything I can do about this?
University of the Arts London
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saphie B)
I've recently hit a bit of a brick wall in terms of getting into university... said brick wall being my result of a Pass for my Extended Diploma in Animation. See, the way the grading works on my course is that final project of each year 100% determines the grades. For my Subsidiary (first year), I achieved a highly graded Merit, which I was informed was only a few marks off of a Distinction, missing only tad bits of criticism and linking between the topics I covered. This year, I was expected to get a Merit, with my target for the year being a Distinction.Unfortunately, as of March 2018, less than a month after my final project started, my father was assaulted and put into the neurological unit of intensive care. I won't go into too much detail, but he came out of hospital and into an intensive rehabilitation centre just over a month ago. He has not recovered as fast as expected, and while he is able to walk and talk, his critical thinking skills have not quite made a comeback; he is able to make a cup of tea with supervision, but his cooking (something he excelled at before) and decision-making skills are very much still lacking. He is unlikely to fully recover for years, if at all.The impact this has had on me is astounding, and the only word I can put to my current mental state is 'traumatised'. I have had to sign the consent forms, I've had to see my dad in his most vulnerable state. I had to be there on the days the doctors spoke to us about the very possible chance he could've died. I had to keep it all in, to protect my 6 year old sister who couldn't comprehend why our dad couldn't come and visit us. I've had to put up with backlash from his family and weird new girlfriend (who has known him for six weeks but is oddly devoted to him in a borderline creepy way.) Because of the complaints they've made about me, my sister and my mother (who accompanies us both because a.she has a heart and cares, b. there aren't regular buses there, so she's our only transport) we are now locked out of the loop regarding what's going on and where he's going next. I was told I would be put into counselling by the hospital, and offered but never given the same by the college I'm at.I immediately informed my teacher when I went back to college around 3-4 weeks into this mess (before that I visited the hospital nearly everyday to sign the next form, or hear what comes next from the neurosurgeons), and they gave me a two week extension. Unsurprisingly, this was not enough. While I am happy I didn't fail, and I do have the option to take an Art Foundation Lvl3/4 diploma, I feel as if this grade does not reflect my capabilities... is there anything I can do about this?
Hi there!

I am really sorry to hear about your circumstance , wishing your dad the best of health and a speedy recovery . As these were extenuating circumstances I totally understand why you feel that you did not reach your full potential in terms of the grades you received for your course. However it is great to know that you have passed , which means you should be ok to get onto a foundation course .

The lowest entry level for most undergraduate courses is usually a level 3 diploma . For access onto the foundation courses available at UAL the general entry requirements are as follows;

Portfolio of work
Personal statement
1 GCE A Level / AVCE / BTEC National Diploma / GNVQ Advanced Diploma supported by 3 GCSEs grade C or above
International Baccalaureate; students need to achieve at least 3 certificates - 2 at Higher Level and 1 at Standard Level - with a minimum grade 4 in each certificate
Alternative qualifications and experience will also be taken into consideration

If you are a UK or EU student who has been accepted onto the Foundation Diploma, but did not achieve a grade C or above in GCSE English or Maths, you will be given the opportunity to retake the exams as part of your Foundation Diploma courses .

For more information on the entry requirements for our foundation courses at UAL please follow the link below -

http://www.arts.ac.uk/study-at-ual/courses/

Applications for the foundation courses starting from September 2018 are currently closed . However I would definitely recommend applying for next year .

For now maybe look into some short courses . We have a wide range of those here at UAL . To look into what we have on offer follow link below -

http://www.arts.ac.uk/study-at-ual/short-courses/

Hope that I was of help
Memunatu 1st year BA Textiles Design Student at UAL: Central Saint Martin’s
Saphie B
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thank you! I will take this into consideration
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (23)
6.41%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (207)
57.66%
No (129)
35.93%

Watched Threads