Reapply to medicine with GCSE English language grade C/possible RESIT? Watch

Benji_1999
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hello i achieved 2A*,5A and 3B and 1 C in English language just wondering if re-sitting English language in November 2019 past the October 15 medicine apply deadline will still lead to unis immediately rejecting my application as i have not meet the minimum GCSE requirements yet (B or above in most). I know some Unis accept grade C i.e. Plymouth however i am all for re-sitting my English as long as i can still apply in the 2019 cycle due to me not wanting to take another GAP year. Hopefully with a strong A levels and UKCAT score would extenuating circumstances for my GCSE be applicable due at the time we had mixture of supply teachers for English language ( i know its abit of a long shot), i emailed Cardiff admissions for medicine and she seemed to like my determination, and emailed me a extenuating circumstances form to fill out even though i didn't mention such a thing during my GCSE period so can i just wing it abit cos TBH at the time of GCSE i had no idea that 1) I wanted to do medicine and 2) English language would hold me back so much!
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Benji_1999)
Hello i achieved 2A*,5A and 3B and 1 C in English language just wondering if re-sitting English language in November 2019 past the October 15 medicine apply deadline will still lead to unis immediately rejecting my application as i have not meet the minimum GCSE requirements yet (B or above in most). I know some Unis accept grade C i.e. Plymouth however i am all for re-sitting my English as long as i can still apply in the 2019 cycle due to me not wanting to take another GAP year. Hopefully with a strong A levels and UKCAT score would extenuating circumstances for my GCSE be applicable due at the time we had mixture of supply teachers for English language ( i know its abit of a long shot), i emailed Cardiff admissions for medicine and she seemed to like my determination, and emailed me a extenuating circumstances form to fill out even though i didn't mention such a thing during my GCSE period so can i just wing it abit cos TBH at the time of GCSE i had no idea that 1) I wanted to do medicine and 2) English language would hold me back so much!
Did you apply to medical schools who ask for a B in GCSE English Language with a C?
Benji_1999
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Volibear)
Did you apply to medical schools who ask for a B in GCSE English Language with a C?
In my first time applying i made that mistake with Cardiff university and Edinburgh A100 medicine which require minimum B (also applying to Newcastle and Exeter for A100), without even emailing them...I really was stupid. Furthermore my UKCAT score was weak alongside my achieved AS levels ABB where not good. But after getting no offers (apart from backup) kinda was a blessing really opened my eyes and i worked really hard for my A levels getting A* A A in the mocks, i feel the real thing went just as well but we will have to wait and see. This leads me to my current situation i am currently doing the UKCAT again booked for 30th AUG, taking GAP year obviously and plans to re-sit English language at my local college in June 2019 so i can apply to a wider range of Unis.

Earlier today i messaged UCAS via FB asking about GCSE resits in which they said: and i can put my GCSE English language as pending to notify unis about my re-sit also they advice me to RING them before hand to firstly see if they allow this and secondly so i do not get immediately rejected and hopefully a fair chance with my achieved A levels, UKCAT etc.

Everything happens for a reason hopefully.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (33)
13.87%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.01%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.18%
How can I be the best version of myself? (71)
29.83%

Watched Threads