Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I've received offers from the following universities:
1. UCL - Built Environment: Sustainable Heritage MSc
2. Edinburgh - MSc Architectural Conservation
3. Kent - Architectural Conservation MSc
4. York - MA in Conservation Studies (Historic Buildings)
5. Bath - Conservation of Historic Buildings MSc

I'm currently in the industry for nearly 3 years and was a Building Surveying student, gained very few knowledge about architectural conservation during undergraduate. UCL's programme is on sustainability which seems to be a more and more popular topic while the other four have similar course structure that offers more technical knowledge.

Can anyone share your experiences and thoughts on any of the courses or universities to help me make the decision?

Thanks
AI1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi there, I was an architecture student and I also had offers from the same 5 universities as you. I narrowed them down to bath or kent since they have similar courses but i'm still hesitating between the two. What about you, which one did you choose?
W55LY
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by sj0628)
I've received offers from the following universities:
1. UCL - Built Environment: Sustainable Heritage MSc
2. Edinburgh - MSc Architectural Conservation
3. Kent - Architectural Conservation MSc
4. York - MA in Conservation Studies (Historic Buildings)
5. Bath - Conservation of Historic Buildings MSc

I'm currently in the industry for nearly 3 years and was a Building Surveying student, gained very few knowledge about architectural conservation during undergraduate. UCL's programme is on sustainability which seems to be a more and more popular topic while the other four have similar course structure that offers more technical knowledge.

Can anyone share your experiences and thoughts on any of the courses or universities to help me make the decision?

Thanks
I'm enrolled at Kent on a MSc Logistics and Supply Chain Man. I can't comment on your other choices but I can attest to the excellent PG facilities at the KBS (Kent Business School)
heritageloves
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hello, I am currently in my last term on the MSc Building Conservation and Adaptation course at the University of Central Lancashire and although this course isn't on the above list, I do think that this course warrants a mention amongst the postgraduate building conservation courses available in the UK. Firstly, the course is the only postgraduate building conservation course in the UK that is currently accredited by both the IHBC and the RICS which is a great way to start on an accredited career path through both these professional organisations. Secondly, the course is a unique combination of both building and architectural history, as well as giving a thorough grounding in planning, change management within the historic building environment, building re-adaptation, conservative repair, as well as urban regeneration and heritage skills such as joinery, pointing and plastering. Whilst I agree with one comment below that the UCL programme is more sustainability-orientated, the UCLAN course is a good all-round course offering excellent theoretical, technical and practical tuition and should definitely be considered for anyone interested in studying building conservation at postgraduate level. I have thoroughly enjoyed the course and would have been more than happy to stay at UCLAN to do my PhD if they offered PG research in that field. Hope this helps.Good luck!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (337)
15.64%
The paper was reasonable (1172)
54.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (466)
21.62%
It was TERRIBLE (180)
8.35%

Watched Threads