noonelikesu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
please click on the images to know the question, it's only 4 marks so it doesn't need a lot, thank you
noonelikesu
Rep:
?
Name:  IMG_20180628_204512-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 29
Size:  36.5 KB Name:  IMG_20180628_204520-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 23
Size:  20.2 KB
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

This is a question testing your knowledge of evolution by natural selection - don't get sidetracked by the strange bird.

Due to immense variation in nature, different birds of this species would have different shapes and lengths of bills. A mutation in one of the genes that determines the length of the bill could result in birds with short, hence uncrossed bills. Such birds would be slow at eating seeds, and hence would be at a disadvantage compared to birds with longer crossed bills. The former would gradually die earlier and produce less offspring, and eventually would be wiped out by natural selection i.e. the birds with crossed bills would pass on their "good" genes to their chicks. Over time, the vast majority of crossbill birds would have longer crossed bills = evolution.
noonelikesu
Rep:
?
(Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)
Hi,

This is a question testing your knowledge of evolution by natural selection - don't get sidetracked by the strange bird.

Due to immense variation in nature, different birds of this species would have different shapes and lengths of bills. A mutation in one of the genes that determines the length of the bill could result in birds with short, hence uncrossed bills. Such birds would be slow at eating seeds, and hence would be at a disadvantage compared to birds with longer crossed bills. The former would gradually die earlier and produce less offspring, and eventually would be wiped out by natural selection i.e. the birds with crossed bills would pass on their "good" genes to their chicks. Over time, the vast majority of crossbill birds would have longer crossed bills = evolution.
if I could, I would kiss you over the screen rn. thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?