Foster care and prison

Watch
HolocenePursuit
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Why do boys leaving foster care end up in prison? There is a clear link between foster care children and adult criminality but I am finding it hard finding specific information for boys leaving foster care and prison. Does anyone have any useful links? or even an opinion on why you think foster care boy leavers are more likely to end up in prison?
Thanks!
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
now thats a question I've never seen on here before!

Dunno tbh! Problems, lack of prospects, criminal record most likely, no education usually have few or no or poor gcse's, and used to "surviving" on the bare minimum or through ill means. Homelessness. Dunno just going by ppl I know, the reality, and that I was in care for a short time and saw how it went.

Girls too but most find a hostel and then work or claim child tax :dry: unfair how contrived it all is for women.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Foster children come under the umbrella of ‘looked after children’ and are over represented in the criminal justice system.
Here is where you can look for links.
The Prison Reform Trust Report - In Care, Out of Trouble.
The Howard League for Penal Reform Trust.
The Care Leavers Association.
Gov. UK will have the figures for fostered and looked after children who ended up in prison and the reasons why.
Look at ‘Staying Put’ which puts measures in place for fostered children to remain with their foster parents after they turn 18, so long as the foster family agrees.
I hope this gives you a start.
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Claire Fitzpatrick from Lancaster University has written a paper - Re-imagining penal policy. Achieving justice for children in care and care leavers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (15)
32.61%
No (31)
67.39%

Watched Threads