The Student Room Group

does IQ matter?

hi ive just had my induction week for sixth form and im your average high B low A student, and im choosing biology, chemistry and maths which are my best subjects. i was in the class though and i felt so intimidated cus everyone seemed so smart and it just demotivated me because i seem so dumb compared to them. the teachers say not to predict your grades based on your GCSEs and apparently IQ doesnt matter because its about the effort and work put it. i feel so sad right now because im willing to put the effort in and im so intimidated right now but i might be changing my subjects cus i might not do good.
IQ will play no meaningful part in your success or failure. Almost anyone who does not have a learning difficulty or some other condition which impedes their ability to learn is capable of achieving As in A levels. Your grades will primarily be a product of the effort you put in. It is certainly true that different people will need to put in varying amounts of effort to achieve X or Y grade, but if you are willing to work hard you will do absolutely fine. Don't worry about other people, focus on yourself and what you can do now to prepare yourself for your courses.

Best of luck.
Of course it matters but it's not necessary. If you put the work in you will get good grades, you might just need to work harder than other people.
Original post by wheresmunchkin
hi ive just had my induction week for sixth form and im your average high B low A student, and im choosing biology, chemistry and maths which are my best subjects. i was in the class though and i felt so intimidated cus everyone seemed so smart and it just demotivated me because i seem so dumb compared to them. the teachers say not to predict your grades based on your GCSEs and apparently IQ doesnt matter because its about the effort and work put it. i feel so sad right now because im willing to put the effort in and im so intimidated right now but i might be changing my subjects cus i might not do good.

Why don't you try revising hard and doing papers before jumping to any definitive conclusions?
Reply 4
Your A-Level course is all about your work ethic. It's generally a test of memory as opposed to a test of intelligence. Although the 'smarter' kids may find the course easier, there is no reason why you can't achieve top marks.
Original post by wheresmunchkin

It’s just imposter syndrome, you’re probably smarter than them, especially given that you acknowledge your weaknesses. One thing I’ve noticed a lot during my time at university is that people tend to appear smarter than they actually are. If you really want to be comforted, you can take a Mensa IQ test for around £25, they’re rather fun. But other than that, an acknowledgement of you weakness and a low ego are very helpful when it comes to doing well, so I’d wager on you being a very successful student at a level.
IQ is arguably pretty arbitrary. IMO exams are memory tests. 'Smart' people do well because they have study plans and revise effectively. A huge advantage is also if you're able to understand the content. When you understand something, it's WAY easier to regurgitate it whereas when you memorize something you need to be able to state it again to a tee. To do well in exams you need to set a timetable up so you can schedule your studying and know when to put the pen down so you can live your life without feeling like studying is taking over.
Reply 7
Original post by TimGB
It’s just imposter syndrome, you’re probably smarter than them, especially given that you acknowledge your weaknesses. One thing I’ve noticed a lot during my time at university is that people tend to appear smarter than they actually are. If you really want to be comforted, you can take a Mensa IQ test for around £25, they’re rather fun. But other than that, an acknowledgement of you weakness and a low ego are very helpful when it comes to doing well, so I’d wager on you being a very successful student at a level.

Thats a very good point, everyone portrays themselves as smart at these induction days. Im sure once you get it you will find that you will be generally smarter than most of the students there.
IQ does play a part. https://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/sites/gl/files/images/Files/GCSE_Technical_Information.pdf
But I would imagine a hardworking individual with an IQ past 100 has a decent chance at achieving some/all As at A Levels.

Quick Reply

Latest