Personal statement prep - law student reading list

Watch
Nal678
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I would like to study law at uni - is there any recommended books or reading i should be looking at and having a read of ,i want to improve my knowledge of the subject and this will help me write my personal statement - can you plz list as many books and readings i should take part it .. thanks very much
PlayWithMarkers
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Having just got accepted onto a Law degree, I'll say there's absolutely no need to go overboard with reading for the sake of a personal statement. Reeling off the names of 10 different textbooks just isn't all that impressive. Personally I dropped in a mentioned of http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/ and that's about it.
Pugglet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I didn’t mention any law books in mine. Just mentioned work experience
Nal678
Rep:
?
Thank you so much and congratulations for being accepted to do law , hope you have fun studying the subject and achieve the best of the best in your career
Nal678
Rep:
?
May i ask pugglet what kind of experience did you do .. law firms are the normal place but its very hard to find law firms that take work experience
Pugglet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’ve done a month with Eversheds Sutherland and two months with Clyde and Co

I also spoke about volunteering, DofE etc
Hanziebabe
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have a law degree and when I did my personal statement I didn’t have any experience just what I felt I could offer the University. I did have a Law A Level though
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nal678)
May i ask pugglet what kind of experience did you do .. law firms are the normal place but its very hard to find law firms that take work experience
Given that law is an academic subject that doesn’t lead to a career as a lawyer you don’t need work experience.
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi Nal678

I'm currently in my second year of the Graduate Entrant (Scots and English LLB) at Strathclyde University.

There are no recommended books as such for the LLB before starting the programme! The fact you love reading is a bonus as there is a lot of reading involved in this degree. Your lecturers will give you a recommended reading list for your course when you start uni.

As PlayWithMarkers said- it's impressive to know about the Law Society. There are two different bodies- The Law Society (England and Wales) and Law Society of Scotland (Scotland). Are you thinking of studying English law or Scots law?

UCAS has really helpful hints and tips for writing personal statements. Here's a link: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...onal-statement

I found the 'personal statement mindmap' and 'personal statement worksheet' under the section 'how to write' beneficial.

Hope this helps, do you have any more questions?
Nal678
Rep:
?
@universityofstrathclydestudenta mbassador I’m hoping to do english law
Nal678
Rep:
?
Thanks for your help and advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (25)
21.93%
No (89)
78.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed