A. Solis 99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Does leukemia start in a single bone marrow or it involves all bone marrows of the body?
great guy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A. Solis 99)
Does leukemia start in a single bone marrow or it involves all bone marrows of the body?
There are different types of leukaemia but the one you are talking about starts in a single bone marrow then spreads quickly to other regions of the body.
Pearlfection1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depends on the type.

There are some which start on single bone marrow and progress to other parts of the body.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Bone marrow is a tissue. Its not a single unit like an organ. Its like saying 'does eczema affects one skin or all of them?'.

Like all cancers, leukemia will start in a single cell and spread from there. By the time you have blasts in your blood (the definition of leukemia), it will be spread around all of your bone marrow yes.
A. Solis 99
Rep:
?
(Original post by nexttime)
Bone marrow is a tissue. Its not a single unit like an organ. Its like saying 'does eczema affects one skin or all of them?'.

Like all cancers, leukemia will start in a single cell and spread from there. By the time you have blasts in your blood (the definition of leukemia), it will be spread around all of your bone marrow yes.
By that fact, why they were considering treating it with autologous BMT? (despite its not the best choice). Shouldnt all bone marrow of the body be defected?
great guy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Exactly
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
By that fact, why they were considering treating it with autologous BMT? (despite its not the best choice). Shouldnt all bone marrow of the body be defected?
You collect when in remission hope you don't pick up any of the leukemia cells. Emphasis on the 'hope' - its not a great treatment.

Also, you clearly don't know how bone marrow is collected for transplant. Look it up.
A. Solis 99
Rep:
?
You collect when in remission hope you don't pick up any of the leukemia cells. Emphasis on the 'hope' - its not a great treatment.

Also, you clearly don't know how bone marrow is collected for transplant. Look it up.
Thanks a lot for both answers.
malkimoo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
what are the overall survival rates
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by malkimoo)
Couldn't you have done some research yourself?

Here is a wikipedia article for you to start on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_leukemia
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by malkimoo)
Depends on the type. Google.
Jpw1097
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Also bear in mind that really, the main of aim of autologous stem cell transplants is to give a much higher dose of chemotherapy. The dose of chemotherapy given will completely wipe out the patients bone marrow, which would be irreversible and would be fatal if stem cells were not given to rescue the bone marrow. The autologous stem cell transplant is normally given as a consolidation therapy after a complete remission has been achieved (ideally), which by definition is when the bone marrow contains less than 5% blasts. However, patients in complete remission could still have a high tumour burden of up to 10^10 tumour cells! So autologous stem cell transplants aren’t really the best as it might not get rid of all the leukaemia cells. This is why allogeneic stem cell transplants are better, because the donors stem cells essentially attack and kill the leukaemia cells - this is known as graft-versus-leukaemia, it’s similar to graft-versus-host.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (23)
10.13%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (135)
59.47%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (31)
13.66%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (33)
14.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.2%

Watched Threads