91.3%
Nobody (0)
0%
gryffindor_02
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I mean les-bi-honest, everyone loves a good pun or joke but who should be able to make them about LGBT topics?

Post your opinion and any LGBT jokes or puns (that aren't offensive/tasteless) you have for others to see
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
If gays want to be seen as normal people they must endure being joked about for their choices like every other normal person.
Really, because anytime a gay person makes a joke about straight people their response is basically "this is why everyone wants to murder you why can't you be nice" so like, maybe spend half a second critically thinking before making dumb comments?

Because gay people "endure" a hell of a lot from straight people, whether it's jokes, slurs, fists, or bullets.

(Original post by gryffindor_02)
I mean les-bi-honest, everyone loves a good pun or joke but who should be able to make them about LGBT topics?

Post your opinion and any LGBT jokes or puns (that aren't offensive/tasteless) you have for others to see
In general the usual rules apply - if you know them well and are good friends with them and they don't specifically say "that was offensive/hurtful/inappropriate/in poor taste" fine, whatever. Every one has different tolerance levels for such stuff, gay or straight, and you can't generalise that. I know one of my friends will make jokes about his weight a lot, and doesn't mind other people making (good natured) comments about it. Another is very sensitive about it and we know not to be a **** and make him uncomfortable about that. It's not hard to be a normal human being, or maybe it is for some of you...
Mickey Torrento
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
With the right people, I don't see why not.
I guess it depends on the people you are around with, just like with any kind of joke. If you assume they'll get offended (whether there is a reason for it or not); simply don't. For the sake of peace.
Tootles
Report 11 months ago
Anyone and everyone. Why? Because everyone's funny. Everyone's funny and everyone should be fair game as far as humour is concerned - provided, of course, you're not aiming to offend. There have to be limits.
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Really, because anytime a gay person makes a joke about straight people their response is basically "this is why everyone wants to murder you why can't you be nice" so like, maybe spend half a second critically thinking before making dumb comments?

Because gay people "endure" a hell of a lot from straight people, whether it's jokes, slurs, fists, or bullets.

In general the usual rules apply - if you know them well and are good friends with them and they don't specifically say "that was offensive/hurtful/inappropriate/in poor taste" fine, whatever. Every one has different tolerance levels for such stuff, gay or straight, and you can't generalise that. I know one of my friends will make jokes about his weight a lot, and doesn't mind other people making (good natured) comments about it. Another is very sensitive about it and we know not to be a **** and make him uncomfortable about that. It's not hard to be a normal human being, or maybe it is for some of you...

"because anytime a gay person makes a joke about straight people their response is basically "this is why everyone wants to murder you why can't you be nice" "

Yes I see so many people saying "this is why everyone wants to murder you" especially in the west where gay murder rates are not exactly something very high.

"Endure" welcome to life, we all must "endure" and "enduring" jokes is laughable, if you cant "endure" a simple joke be it about your choices or your lifestyle then you might want to buckle up and check yourself for being a bit too sensitive. "fists" well I could not find statistics about physical violence vs Gays, just """""""hate crimes"""""" against LGBT people but I would assume most gays are not physically assaulted especially not shot. in the west at least
Test133
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
that shirt you're wearing is gay
ghostiecat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
To people commenting on this thread: being LGBT+ is not a choice, as I’ve seen mentioned.
It’s just who you are.
No one chooses to be at risk of discrimination, trust me.

And I think it depends on the situation.
Let’s say, in a group, if the LGBT+ people in that group are chill with it and it doesn’t make them uncomfortable, anyone can go for it. That’s basically the rule with all jokes, about any group.
Just have to be careful they’re actually jokes, and not people being horribly offensive and hiding behind the claim that they’re “jokes”.
username4094562
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Yes anyone should be able to make gay jokes/puns. I make them myself and I am bi. As long as people know when a joke stops being a joke and turns into something malicious, it's fine.
codecommand
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Preventing people is becoming facist.
newhello
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
IF you can take a **** you can take a joke 👍
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
"because anytime a gay person makes a joke about straight people their response is basically "this is why everyone wants to murder you why can't you be nice" "

Yes I see so many people saying "this is why everyone wants to murder you" especially in the west where gay murder rates are not exactly something very high.

"Endure" welcome to life, we all must "endure" and "enduring" jokes is laughable, if you cant "endure" a simple joke be it about your choices or your lifestyle then you might want to buckle up and check yourself for being a bit too sensitive. "fists" well I could not find statistics about physical violence vs Gays, just """""""hate crimes"""""" against LGBT people but I would assume most gays are not physically assaulted especially not shot. in the west at least
The Pulse shooting was a year and a month ago. In the US. "the west".
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
The Pulse shooting was a year and a month ago. In the US. "the west".
One shooting. Saying that all gay people greatly fear being shot/killed (in the west) is a blatant lie or the gay people are wrong
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Either everybody or nobody.
feralte
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
One shooting. Saying that all gay people greatly fear being shot/killed (in the west) is a blatant lie or the gay people are wrong
According to a YouGov survey in 2017, one in five LGBT respondents had been the victim of a hate crime because of their sexual orientation or gender identity in the last twelve months. https://www.stonewall.org.uk/comeout...ain/hate-crime
g131999
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I was going to make a gay joke, butt **** it!
username2763536
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Well it wasn't exactly all that long ago that you could be imprisoned or worse for being gay.Only really 50 years.Gay people also suffered a lot under the Nazis.Yet people rarely make anti- Semitic jokes so why are gays fair game? Only last year 4 gay men were murdered in London but the police didn't take it seriously.They thought it was suicide even though the killer left a heavily suspicious note saying it wasn't him.Now either the police are dumb as hell or they didn't investigate properly due to who the victims were.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Robby2312)
Well it wasn't exactly all that long ago that you could be imprisoned or worse for being gay.Only really 50 years.Gay people also suffered a lot under the Nazis.Yet people rarely make anti- Semitic jokes so why are gays fair game? Only last year 4 gay men were murdered in London but the police didn't take it seriously.They thought it was suicide even though the killer left a heavily suspicious note saying it wasn't him.Now either the police are dumb as hell or they didn't investigate properly due to who the victims were.
Jews are fair game too. gays especially since it is a choice unlike being a jew.
username2763536
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Jews are fair game too. gays especially since it is a choice unlike being a jew.
I'd say you got that the wrong way around.Judaism is a belief whilst sexuality is inherent.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Robby2312)
I'd say you got that the wrong way around.Judaism is a belief whilst sexuality is inherent.
I was more talking about ethnic jews, but you would be right if you were talking about religious jews. and sexuality is not inherent, it has never been proven and has many factors, some may be genetic and others may involve your choices and upbringing
username2763536
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I was more talking about ethnic jews, but you would be right if you were talking about religious jews. and sexuality is not inherent, it has never been proven and has many factors, some may be genetic and others may involve your choices and upbringing
It's never not been proven either.I think it's fairly obvious that attraction isn't a choice.Have you ever chosen to be attracted to someone?Could you right now choose to be attracted to a guy? What are the benefits of doing So? Also upbringing still wouldn't make it a choice.This is besides the point any way.Even if it were a choice that still doesn't give people the right to mistreat others.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who do you think will be the next PM?

Boris Johnson (162)
74.31%
Jeremy Hunt (56)
25.69%

Watched Threads