The Student Room Group

Should anyone be able to make gay jokes/puns?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AperfectBalance
I was more talking about ethnic jews, but you would be right if you were talking about religious jews. and sexuality is not inherent, it has never been proven and has many factors, some may be genetic and others may involve your choices and upbringing

"Yeah they should just stop being gay like people living in poverty should just stop being poor."
Original post by Robby2312
It's never not been proven either.I think it's fairly obvious that attraction isn't a choice.Have you ever chosen to be attracted to someone?Could you right now choose to be attracted to a guy? What are the benefits of doing So? Also upbringing still wouldn't make it a choice.This is besides the point any way.Even if it were a choice that still doesn't give people the right to mistreat others.

God have never been proven, never not been proven does not mean he is real. well I am not attracted to men but that does not mean my lack of attraction was from birth, I could have grown up and become gay due to circumstance or upbringing, not saying it is not partly genetic but I think it only has a small ish part.
God have never been proven, never not been proven does not mean he is real. well I am not attracted to men but that does not mean my lack of attraction was from birth, I could have grown up and become gay due to circumstance or upbringing, not saying it is not partly genetic but I think it only has a small ish part.

Right but that's still not a choice is it? You can't choose your circumstances or upbringing.Might be it's the parents fault but I still don't see how the child makes that choice.And nobody is attracted to anyone at birth.You find out who you are attracted to during puberty.Still doesn't mean it's not genetic.Some people are naturally great at maths but they wouldn't discover that until they were at least 4.And no god isn't real.There is no evidence at all for his existence.
Right but that's still not a choice is it? You can't choose your circumstances or upbringing.Might be it's the parents fault but I still don't see how the child makes that choice.And nobody is attracted to anyone at birth.You find out who you are attracted to during puberty.Still doesn't mean it's not genetic.Some people are naturally great at maths but they wouldn't discover that until they were at least 4.And no god isn't real.There is no evidence at all for his existence.

yes but you still make the active choice to be gay.

Well what are they supposed to Do? Not fall in love with anyone ever?
Whats the point of being in a relationship if there is no attraction there?Or would you force them to marry the opposite sex? That would not be helpful for anyone least of all the kids.And why should they really? Stop trying to force your opinions on other people.That's totalitarian.You don't get to decide what other people do with their own bodies.Just because you don't like the idea is no reason to ban something.
Bill Burr observed that when he does his stand-up everybody laughs at everything until the butt of the joke comes around to them.

So can I ask people saying you shouldn't tell gay jokes, can you give us a list of things we can't tell jokes about?
War
Death,
Cancer,
Aids,
Rape,
Violence,
Junkies
Gays,
Straights,
Mad people
Sad people
Jews,
Muslims,
Christians.
Divorce
Menstruation
Female circumcisions
Male circumcisions
Paedophiles.....?
Everybody has something that they feel touchy about.
(edited 5 years ago)
sup ****
https://youtu.be/KXDHjwaUtPI

Jerry Seinfeld on the subject of gay puns.

Alright then, prove it.

Right now, try choosing to be gay, then you can switch back to being straight after, by your logic.

(Spoiler: you won’t be able to, because you can’t magically create attraction to the same sex. If you think you can, I have something to tell you, buddy...)
Original post by ghostiecat
Alright then, prove it.

Right now, try choosing to be gay, then you can switch back to being straight after, by your logic.

(Spoiler: you won’t be able to, because you can’t magically create attraction to the same sex. If you think you can, I have something to tell you, buddy...)

... Just because you cannot actively choose to enjoy something does not mean that it is not a choice, I enjoy cricket, I dislike football, just because I cannot force myself to dislike cricket or like football does not mean I was born liking cricket, I cannot prove that being gay is somewhat of a choice, but scientists cannot prove it is fully due to birth
Original post by newhello
IF you can take a **** you can take a joke 👍

Lol. You got that from Jim Jeffries. Nice one though.
... Just because you cannot actively choose to enjoy something does not mean that it is not a choice, I enjoy cricket, I dislike football, just because I cannot force myself to dislike cricket or like football does not mean I was born liking cricket, I cannot prove that being gay is somewhat of a choice, but scientists cannot prove it is fully due to birth

What kind of dribbling at the mouth are you attempting to do here?

If you cannot force yourself to dislike cricket then you cannot force yourself to like it either... replace the words 'cricket' with, well I'll leave that to what I'm sure is your very vivid imagination, and you arrive at the conclusion that sexuality is not a choice.

If you want to talk about whether sexuality is a result of biology or conditioning/upbringing then you may have something resembling a valid argument but whenever you talk to a gay person and tell them their sexuality was a choice, they invariably can draw on their own first-hand testimony in saying "I don't recall ever making a choice to become gay". And believe us, we're not lying to you - it's not a conspiracy.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 32
Will and Grace revolves around gay jokes and the straight characters tell them as well. but irl i don't think the average straight person could pull off a gay joke the way a gay person could, but hey your funeral.
Absolutely.

The more offensive, the better.
Puns are okay I guess but some jokes are offensive.
Original post by Johnathan94
What kind of dribbling at the mouth are you attempting to do here?

If you cannot force yourself to dislike cricket then you cannot force yourself to like it either... replace the words 'cricket' with, well I'll leave that to what I'm sure is your very vivid imagination, and you arrive at the conclusion that sexuality is not a choice.

If you want to talk about whether sexuality is a result of biology or conditioning/upbringing then you may have something resembling a valid argument but whenever you talk to a gay person and tell them their sexuality was a choice, they invariably can draw on their own first-hand testimony in saying "I don't recall ever making a choice to become gay". And believe us, we're not lying to you - it's not a conspiracy.

I dont think you understand me, just because I cannot snap my fingers and dislike cricket it DOES NOT mean that I was born liking cricket.

If you want to talk about whether sexuality is a result of biology or conditioning/upbringing then you may have something resembling a valid argument
That is literally what I am saying.
Wouldn't be Islamophobic to not allow them?
I dont think you understand me, just because I cannot snap my fingers and dislike cricket it DOES NOT mean that I was born liking cricket.

If you want to talk about whether sexuality is a result of biology or conditioning/upbringing then you may have something resembling a valid argument

But nobody is saying you were born liking cricket.Babies can barely even think.You could easily have a genetic predisposition to liking cricket though.It doesn't make it a choice to like cricket.Its not a choice.You are just genetically predispositioned to like cricket.Unless you think the whole thing is nurture but I don't see why that should be.Its been shown that people with obese parents are more likely to be obese and intelligence is definitely genetic.No matter how hard I study I'll never be a genius like Newton or Einstein.Ill never be able to paint like Da Vinci who incidentally wasn't entirely straight.Somethings are just genetic and I don't see why sexuality shouldn't be one of them.
But nobody is saying you were born liking cricket.Babies can barely even think.You could easily have a genetic predisposition to liking cricket though.It doesn't make it a choice to like cricket.Its not a choice.You are just genetically predispositioned to like cricket.Unless you think the whole thing is nurture but I don't see why that should be.Its been shown that people with obese parents are more likely to be obese and intelligence is definitely genetic.No matter how hard I study I'll never be a genius like Newton or Einstein.Ill never be able to paint like Da Vinci who incidentally wasn't entirely straight.Somethings are just genetic and I don't see why sexuality shouldn't be one of them.

am I genetically predispositioned to like cricket? I was shown cricket at a young age and was encouraged to play it when I was very young, I would happily say it was nurture far more than anything.

While some factors may lead to obesity due to obese parents you have to realise that they are probably going to pass on their bad eating habits to their kids by serving them the food and allowing them to think that eating far more than normal is perfectly fine.

I think the same for gays, there may be some genetic/biological reason but I think it is mostly nurture

It's literally not.
Conditioning or upbringing does not equate to "choice", at least not the choice of the individual. It might well be the case that it isn't even a choice on the part of the parent.

Let's say for example that there was a correlation between being born poor and turning out gay... the child certainly didn't make the choice to be born poor, and the parent may not have made the choice to have a child consciously either.

Your argument is barely coherent but until you can distinguish between the circumstance of one's birth and the word 'choice', you would do better to be seeking an education than stating an opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending