Stargirl2.0
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What high level words can I use to describe events/characters in Macbeth? Also tell me if the words I have already found make sense to describe these characters/events please:
indolent - Macbeth
gratuitous - Duncan's murder
furtive - Lady Macbeth and Macbeth
haughtly - Macbeth
cajole - Lady Macbeth
connive - Planning to kill Duncan
infamy - Macbeth/Lady Macbeth
rife - the theme of power
VM02
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The word 'hamartia' could be used to describe Macbeth's fatal ambition - Lady Macbeth on the other hand, could be described as 'malevolent', 'machiavellian' or 'sly'. Both Duncan and Banquo are more 'respectable'. Hope this helps!
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lady macbeth could be described as a femme fatale
pinkbacon1437
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Machiavellian, manipulative, driven, hegemonizing for lady macbeth. I know some aren’t so high level but That’s what I use (+ a few others ) when I’m writing an essay about her.
Macbeth is a tragic hero (someone who starts good and goes bad). Hope you don’t mind me nicking a few of the ones you mentioned x
bluebells1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just wanted to say, if you're concerned you won't reach high grades without using high level words, you can!
I got two 9s in English, and whilst I remember I used some key terminology and appropriate high level words for the meaning I wanted to convey, they were nowhere near as flowery as SOME of the ones mentioned above.

By all means use where appropriate but if you drop in a 'cajole' or 'hamartia' when the rest of it is not at the same standard it puts the examiner off. Definitely use those words, but make sure the rest of the essay reflects and shows that you're confident using that language.

Teachers scare you to get marks, that's all I'm gonna say! Good luck
Stargirl2.0
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by bluebells1)
Just wanted to say, if you're concerned you won't reach high grades without using high level words, you can!
I got two 9s in English, and whilst I remember I used some key terminology and appropriate high level words for the meaning I wanted to convey, they were nowhere near as flowery as SOME of the ones mentioned above.

By all means use where appropriate but if you drop in a 'cajole' or 'hamartia' when the rest of it is not at the same standard it puts the examiner off. Definitely use those words, but make sure the rest of the essay reflects and shows that you're confident using that language.

Teachers scare you to get marks, that's all I'm gonna say! Good luck
Thanks this was helpful. When I read my peers' work it has a mature sound to it (shows they're confident using the language). How do you suggest I achieve this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.73%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.65%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.2%
It might lead to more bullying (132)
38.6%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.82%

Watched Threads