The Student Room Group

People keep complaining about the heat in this country, but is it really THAT hot?

Obviously as you are all aware, the UK is basking in a heatwave right now. It's been sunny, hot weather for a number of days now.

But is it really THAT hot? Everywhere I go, people keep complaining about the heat.

"oh it's sweltering, I'm baked, it's so hot outside, I feel so tired from all this heat"

The temperature hasn't even hit 30 degrees Celsius. Where I am, the peak temperature during the day is around 27 degrees Celcius, maybe 28 Celcius. Sure, that's reasonably hot and more than we're used to during British summer times. In the grand scheme of things though, it's not that hot.

Now if it was 38 degrees Celcius, that WOULD be hot. But 28? No, that's nothing really.

By the way, I'm a white English person with pasty skin, parents were born in England, lived here my whole life. So it's not like I originate from a hot climate - and even I don't find this weather particularly hot.

What is everyone's opinions on this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As you seem to already be aware, it's all relative. To a person from SoCal it's not hot, but equally to them our winters are unbearably cold. Swings and roundabouts.

The fact that we're starting to get bush fires though indicates that objectively speaking, yes, it's hot.
I think you're forgetting that sometimes, in a temp of 38 degrees, with high winds, it can feel like 20 degrees.

It's 28 degrees, but there is also no wind, meaning it feels hotter than ever.
Reply 3
Original post by Dheorl
As you seem to already be aware, it's all relative. To a person from SoCal it's not hot, but equally to them our winters are unbearably cold. Swings and roundabouts.

The fact that we're starting to get bush fires though indicates that objectively speaking, yes, it's hot.
I understand that it's all relative. But I guessed you missed the part where I said I'm a white, pasty skinned person who has lived here all my life. So I'm very much used to the mild/cold climate of the UK. And even I do not find it particularly hot at the moment.

I'd love the country to experience some real heat - 35°C or higher for several weeks in a row. Now that would really be a proper heatwave.
It’s hot compared to what it should be in the U.K. The average June high is about 18c.
Reply 5
We're a nation of professional whingers. It's part of what makes us British.
Reply 6
Original post by snowman77
I understand that it's all relative. But I guessed you missed the part where I said I'm a white, pasty skinned person who has lived here all my life. So I'm very much used to the mild/cold climate of the UK. And even I do not find it particularly hot at the moment.

I'd love the country to experience some real heat - 35°C or higher for several weeks in a row. Now that would really be a proper heatwave.

No, I didn't miss that part, it's still relative to what your body feels. I can stroll around in 35 and don't consider it overly hot in the slightest, but that's just because of my body I guess as I've also lived here most of my life.
I find it hot because it makes me feel dizzy. Anything over about 22 celsius messes with my head. It all depends on how well you handle heat and how much you enjoy it which I think contributes to whether you think it is too hot or not. I know some people though loving the weather, whereas it isn't for me.
The number of times I've been getting sunstroke because of the sun recently...
Reply 9
Dw it'll cool down in a bit

I'm going inside so that should cool things down
people have different tolerances to heat- i myself can't stand a temperature above 15 degrees (i'll start sweating); my heat tolerance is really low.
I'm asian and I can't handle this weather for some reason. You'd think i'd be able to so It is quite hot :s
Reply 12
british people always whine about weather whethers it too cold or hot

its in their genetics

they would be lost if there was a ban put on complaining about the weather
UK is generally reasonably humid, which makes 28C feel very hot.

I have family in Madrid and travel there every summer. From my personal experience, 35C in Madrid is more bearable than 28C in the UK. Might also be due to building design and the much greater presence of air conditioning units in buildings.
My aunt lives in Nevada, where this would be a spring day at best. Part of it is humidity in the UK, also air quality as we let idiots drive large cars (men with small penises) and this increases air pollution. Buildings are also not designed for such temperatures.

Though I don't think weather 'presenters' should assume warm is good, they should stick to the facts.
It's just what people are used to big man

I've lived in the 50degC heat, but I've also lived in -30degC freezing cold. I'm used to both extremes so temperatures don't affect me much at all, however my friends who have lived in either place cannot handle the other. Same with the British, whom are used to much more mild temperatures, just let them whinge in peace fam.
Reply 16
Original post by DSutch
also air quality as we let idiots drive large cars (men with small penises)

The USA must have the lowest average on the planet :biggrin:
Obviously as you are all aware, the UK is basking in a heatwave right now. It's been sunny, hot weather for a number of days now.

But is it really THAT hot? Everywhere I go, people keep complaining about the heat.

"oh it's sweltering, I'm baked, it's so hot outside, I feel so tired from all this heat"

The temperature hasn't even hit 30 degrees Celsius. Where I am, the peak temperature during the day is around 27 degrees Celcius, maybe 28 Celcius. Sure, that's reasonably hot and more than we're used to during British summer times. In the grand scheme of things though, it's not that hot.

Now if it was 38 degrees Celcius, that WOULD be hot. But 28? No, that's nothing really.

By the way, I'm a white English person with pasty skin, parents were born in England, lived here my whole life. So it's not like I originate from a hot climate - and even I don't find this weather particularly hot.

What is everyone's opinions on this?

You're a snowman! How can this not be too hot?

You remind me of when fifteen year olds boast about how much they can drink. If you want 35+ go to the Middle East
No 28°C is obviously not that hot considering some places reach 38°C and above. But for British weather it's extremely hot, especially compared to the average temperature in summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending