The Student Room Group

Dating someone who is Suicidal?

Hi all,

I am really sad about this and need some support. So I've been seeing a guy (Gay) for around two months now; we're still dating I guess, but more or less together.

We like eachother alot, speak all day and I've never been happier than I am now. But he struggles with his mental health I've tried getting him help, recommended medication (I take sertraline as of 3 months ago) and its turned my life around, but everything I offer he refuses. He has no energy to do things, and I'm writing this now as he's gone to sleep (7:40pm).

He said something earlier which made me completely stop in my tracks. He said he would never commit suicide as he doesn't like pain, but if he had the chance he would go to one of those assisted suicide clinics in Switzerland so he can die peacefully.

I am just at a complete loss now as to what to do. Can anyone help? I've never been in this position before and I'm struggling.

Thanks!
Kyle
Original post by kg00105
Hi all,

I am really sad about this and need some support. So I've been seeing a guy (Gay) for around two months now; we're still dating I guess, but more or less together.

We like eachother alot, speak all day and I've never been happier than I am now. But he struggles with his mental health I've tried getting him help, recommended medication (I take sertraline as of 3 months ago) and its turned my life around, but everything I offer he refuses. He has no energy to do things, and I'm writing this now as he's gone to sleep (7:40pm).

He said something earlier which made me completely stop in my tracks. He said he would never commit suicide as he doesn't like pain, but if he had the chance he would go to one of those assisted suicide clinics in Switzerland so he can die peacefully.

I am just at a complete loss now as to what to do. Can anyone help? I've never been in this position before and I'm struggling.

Thanks!
Kyle

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do for him if he refuses to be helped. In order to help someone they have to want to help themselves. I suggest you just be there for him and support him. But ultimately you're unable to do anything if he doesn't want the help.
I know what its like to just feel like you want to give up and end it all. henoestly. there is one thing that could possibly help thought and even if it doesnt its worth a try. having him speak to someone who has been through that same sort of thing (just make sure they are comming out the other side or they will both become 1000x worse) . this person should idealy be anonamous or some one who he doesnt know so he can feel like anything he says wont be held against him as this person isnt in his day to day life. they should just be there to listen. hopefully this should show him that if someone who doesnt even know him cares than his life is worth living allowing him to see the good in the world. its a shame that most good is hidden behind layers of bad and yes it might take him a while to get better but hopefully this helps and hopefully he agrees if you can find someone. sorry if it doesnt its just that its worth a try . ive helped someone before and now there the happiest theyve ever been. good luck

Quick Reply