The Student Room Group

Bad Predicted Grades

I am currently in year 12 and just did what would have been my AS levels but instead we did mocks because my school doesn't do AS levels. I would like to study computer science at university but fear my predicted grades will be too bad . In these mocks i achieved:
Computer Science - A*
Biology - A
Chemistry- C
Physics- E

I feel that i have underachieved in chemistry and physics, especially because i have achieved A's and B's in them before. I am yet to receive my predicted grades but fear they will be too low for any university to accept me. It is definitely a revision problem as i did not revise enough (still thinking revising the night before will work like in GCSE) I thought i was going to drop physics by the time i had my mocks but i didnt so did absolutely no revision at all. For chemistry, i revised a couple of hours the night before. But for computer science i revised the best part of 45 mins the night before yet achieved an A*. I need to revise more for chemistry and physics, and because of my lack of revision, i will most likely receive terrible predicted grades. Will uni's accept me with worse predicted grades? I know that i can achieve higher as this will only drive me forward.
Look like a good set of grades to me.
Reply 2
Original post by BritishJew
Look like a good set of grades to me.

Thanks, but i need AAA and there is no way that the C is going to an A :frown:
Original post by AlexxJ6401
Thanks, but i need AAA and there is no way that the C is going to an A :frown:

AAC is hardly the end of your life though, even if it forces you to adapt your plans.

Looks like you need to concentrate on Chemistry revision though, and just accept that you've f*cked Physics.
Reply 4
yeah basically, they said i can resit chemistry and physics in September if i want to. Ill probs sweat chem revision for 6 weeks straight and hope i get a B or higher
I am currently in year 12 and just did what would have been my AS levels but instead we did mocks because my school doesn't do AS levels. I would like to study computer science at university but fear my predicted grades will be too bad . In these mocks i achieved:
Computer Science - A*
Biology - A
Chemistry- C
Physics- E

I feel that i have underachieved in chemistry and physics, especially because i have achieved A's and B's in them before. I am yet to receive my predicted grades but fear they will be too low for any university to accept me. It is definitely a revision problem as i did not revise enough (still thinking revising the night before will work like in GCSE) I thought i was going to drop physics by the time i had my mocks but i didnt so did absolutely no revision at all. For chemistry, i revised a couple of hours the night before. But for computer science i revised the best part of 45 mins the night before yet achieved an A*. I need to revise more for chemistry and physics, and because of my lack of revision, i will most likely receive terrible predicted grades. Will uni's accept me with worse predicted grades? I know that i can achieve higher as this will only drive me forward.

Hey there,

Use this all as motivation. if you feel like you've underperformed then use this experience to fuel your desire to work harder and get those grades up. The good news is that they are predictions, which means they can be changed radically. Use this to your advantage, push hard and drive those grades up. You know you can do it, let me know how it goes.

Hope this helps.
Computer Science - A*
Biology - A
Chemistry- C
Physics- E

I'm in a very similar position to you too. I'm also intending to study comp sci at uni but I'm predicted:
Computer Science - A*
Biology - B (ATM but may change if I manage to do really well on the tests next week)
Maths - B
I'm so annoyed about maths because it's the applied paper that I messed up on cos I just need a lot more practice (I did revise a lot but I just didn't have the time to do as many practice questions as I would have liked). I got a C in the maths mock but have gotten very high marks in the other 2 tests we had earlier in the year and both of my teachers said that they know I'm capable of getting an A but apparently the head of maths wouldn't let them make my UCAS prediction an A. I asked if I could do a retest or anything to prove myself before the grades get sent off to uni but the head of maths refuses and says the predicted grades aren't going to change at all.
Computer Science - A*
Biology - A
Chemistry- C
Physics- E

universities will accept you on those predicted grades but most leading universities do not accept you for Computer science without A level Maths. Those that will include Lancaster,Kings and Nottingham. You also need to drop Physics and concentrate on gettine an A or B in Chemistry
Reply 8
Hey guys, very sorry for the late reply, completely forgot about this. With regards to my predicted grades, I am now predicted the following:
Computer Science = A
Biology = A
Chemistry = A
Physics = B
I took resits in chemistry and physics, i was two off a B in Physics and achieved a B in Chemistry. Also had 95% in my computer science mock :smile:.I hope to get in to Cardiff University to study either pure computer science or Computer science with forensics and security. Swansea and UWE also do not require Maths at A level.
Hey guys, very sorry for the late reply, completely forgot about this. With regards to my predicted grades, I am now predicted the following:
Computer Science = A
Biology = A
Chemistry = A
Physics = B
I took resits in chemistry and physics, i was two off a B in Physics and achieved a B in Chemistry. Also had 95% in my computer science mock :smile:.I hope to get in to Cardiff University to study either pure computer science or Computer science with forensics and security. Swansea and UWE also do not require Maths at A level.

why dont you drop Physics as you dont need it. Universities look at 3 A levels not 4 so you should spend all your time on your 3 best subjects to achieve your best results. For what its worth Swansea, UWE and probably Cardiff will likely accept you with lower than AAA
Reply 10
Original post by swanseajack1
why dont you drop Physics as you dont need it. Universities look at 3 A levels not 4 so you should spend all your time on your 3 best subjects to achieve your best results. For what its worth Swansea, UWE and probably Cardiff will likely accept you with lower than AAA

Dropping physics has always been on my mind but i am really not sure how much it will help with my other subjects after I drop it. I barely get set any homework for physics but I do find that it impacts on my revision for my other subjects. On the other hand, I would feel like all my work had been wasted.
Dropping physics has always been on my mind but i am really not sure how much it will help with my other subjects after I drop it. I barely get set any homework for physics but I do find that it impacts on my revision for my other subjects. On the other hand, I would feel like all my work had been wasted.

Getting into your university is all that matters and doing whatever it takes is what you should do. Dropping Physics and taking 3 a leels would give you more time for the other subjects. This is all that matters. Dont worry aout the time wasted as you cannot change that.
To me, it looks like you're so focused on doing computer science that you are neglecting your other subjects, and universities probably won't want to see that. As for your predictions, you only have yourself to blame for doing so little revision, but take it as a time to learn from your mistakes. If you usually achieve A's and B's in your sciences, I highly doubt you will be predicted an A* but I doubt you will be predicted a C or below either. Focus on computer science but don't keep overlooking the other subjects just because they have no direct relation to what you want to study at uni.

As for Physics, if you decide to drop it, DROP IT NOW! :smile: Not many universities (pretty much none) give offers on 4 subjects and even if they do, they typically give 3 A-level offers.

AAA > AABB

Edit: I didn't read the posts above (how stupid of me). Those are some solid predictions, now don't let us down!
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest