The Student Room Group

Turning down Cambridge?

Hey everyone, I have an offer for a masters. I worked very hard for this but am now having second thoughts. Could some older people just give opinions on turning it down and sticking at a mid-ranking russel group pls? Job wise in the future I want to be a professor or some sort of scientist.

Anyway the things which worry me are:

8 week terms, I'm not in contact with my family and holidays always get very lonely.
My personal tutor is truly exceptional here and has helped me a lot when I've got depressed here. I know realistically I'm not going to get the same sort of guy at Cambridge (not dissing other unis I just got very lucky here and got a truly brilliant guy).
Currently I'm getting about almost 90 percent at my current uni so am pretty much guaranteed a first in masters here. I know it's probably a lot harder to get a first at Cambridge.
I may have to care for a younger brother (about 20 percent chance) which would be a major stress. Could cope with that here but only cause I find it easy.
I hate saying this but I feel very out of place at my current uni, almost everyone is noticeably "posh" and hard to relate to, and this is obviously going to be worse at Cambridge.

And the things I think look great:

Very hard work and probably much more challenging. I would like to be pushed a bit more.
Looks good on cv which should help with getting a good phd prof.
Modules are slightly more in line with what I'm interested in, although it's not major.
More chances to network with other profs than the ones I know at my current uni, who I already know very well.

In conclusion, in my case does it sound best just to stick at my current uni? Thankyou
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
honestly doesn't seem like it's worth it, stick to where you're at, get that easy 1st, and you'll be in a good position to apply to PhDs. I wouldn't rock the boat so close to the finish line, what if you struggle at Cam?
Original post by drsfgdg
Hey everyone, I have an offer for "mast physics" which just the 4th year of undergrad physics. I worked very hard for this but am now having second thoughts. Could some older people just give opinions on turning it down and sticking at a mid-ranking russel group pls? Job wise in the future I want to be a professor or some sort of scientist.

Anyway the things which worry me are:

8 week terms, I'm not in contact with my family and holidays always get very lonely.
My personal tutor is truly exceptional here and has helped me a lot when I've got depressed here. I know realistically I'm not going to get the same sort of guy at Cambridge (not dissing other unis I just got very lucky here and got a truly brilliant guy).
Currently I'm getting about almost 90 percent at my current uni so am pretty much guaranteed a first in masters here. I know it's probably a lot harder to get a first at Cambridge.
I may have to care for a younger brother (about 20 percent chance) which would be a major stress. Could cope with that here but only cause I find it easy.
I hate saying this but I feel very out of place at my current uni, almost everyone is noticeably "posh" and hard to relate to, and this is obviously going to be worse at Cambridge.

And the things I think look great:

Very hard work and probably much more challenging. I would like to be pushed a bit more.
Looks good on cv which should help with getting a good phd prof.
Modules are slightly more in line with what I'm interested in, although it's not major.
More chances to network with other profs than the ones I know at my current uni, who I already know very well.

In conclusion, in my case does it sound best just to stick at my current uni? Thankyou

Do they have tutorials for it?

The main differentiator for Cambridge compared to other top unis is tutorials and prestige.

If these factors are important for you, then perhaps go.

in either case, it's only one year in length (well 8-9 months to be precise)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Sorry for not replying to all of you, didn't get a notification for whatever reason

Original post by marupe
honestly doesn't seem like it's worth it, stick to where you're at, get that easy 1st, and you'll be in a good position to apply to PhDs. I wouldn't rock the boat so close to the finish line, what if you struggle at Cam?

Yeah this has been my logic. It's definitely risky compared to just staying here.

Original post by Kyber Ninja
Do they have tutorials for it?

The main differentiator for Cambridge compared to other top unis is tutorials and prestige.

If these factors are important for you, then perhaps go.

in either case, it's only one year in length (well 8-9 months to be precise)

Officially they have them, but they just sound like seminars for the course. Ignoring personal reasons I think the prestige would be useful for phd, unless I'm wrong here.

Original post by Doonesbury
Hi, I've moved this to the Mathematics forum, with a link in Postgraduate Applications :smile:

Thankyou, but this is actually the a physics course, not one of the various (much more famous) maths ones and would probably be more suited to [url="https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=50"]Physics, Chemistry and NatSci university courses if you could move it there?. :colondollar:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by drsfgdg
Thankyou, but this is actually the natural sciences physics course, not one of the various (much more famous) maths ones and would probably be more suited to Physics, Chemistry and NatSci university courses if you could move it there?. :colondollar:

Done :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
Done :biggrin:

Thanks, would rep but it doesn't let me :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by drsfgdg
Sorry for not replying to all of you, didn't get a notification for whatever reason

Yeah this has been my logic. It's definitely risky compared to just staying here.

Officially they have them, but they just sound like seminars in the 4th year. Ignoring personal reasons I think the prestige would be useful for phd, unless I'm wrong here.

Thankyou, but this is actually the natural sciences physics course, not one of the various (much more famous) maths ones and would probably be more suited to Physics, Chemistry and NatSci university courses if you could move it there?. :colondollar:

I don't think the extra prestige (if any) of doing 4th year at cambridge is worth the risk- what if you need to take care of your brother, or you need time to get used to the tutorial system/workload/pace at Camb? you won't have time since you'll be there for about half a year only! If you want to see supervisors for PhDs there's nothing stopping you from emailing right now and setting up a meeting with them. I mean most of the current DPhils get into PhD programs without studying there :smile:

I don't mean to put you off btw- if you really want to go there you should but make sure it's worth it in the end!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by marupe
I don't think the extra prestige (if any) of doing 4th year at cambridge is worth the risk- what if you need to take care of your brother, or you need time to get used to the tutorial system/workload/pace at Camb? you won't have time since you'll be there for about half a year only! If you want to see supervisors for PhDs there's nothing stopping you from emailing right now and setting up a meeting with them. I mean most of the current DPhils get into PhD programs without studying there :smile:

I don't mean to put you off btw- if you really want to go there you should but make sure it's worth it in the end!

Oh thankyou, I had no idea they would be willing to do talk to people that far from applying. I'll look into that so I can make a much more informed firm decision before I have to decide.

Would rep if I could.
Hi just wondering what uni do you go to and what year are you in?
Reply 9
Original post by eveross00
Hi just wondering what uni do you go to and what year are you in?

I'm sorry but I'd prefer not to say which uni since I could very easily be identified in real life and I like being anonymous here. It's a mid-high ranking russel group and I'm in third year.
Reply 10
Original post by drsfgdg
Oh thankyou, I had no idea they would be willing to do talk to people that far from applying. I'll look into that so I can make a much more informed firm decision before I have to decide.

Would rep if I could.

If you were starting in 2019 (I'm assuming) then it's the perfect time, if you're starting later you may need to wait but there's nothing stopping you from emailing!
Reply 11
Original post by marupe
If you were starting in 2019 (I'm assuming) then it's the perfect time, if you're starting later you may need to wait but there's nothing stopping you from emailing!

Yeah going to this tommorow.... Think I'm a bit of an idiot for not thinking about this before to be honest:biggrin: :congrats::congrats:
Reply 12
Original post by drsfgdg
Yeah going to this tommorow.... Think I'm a bit of an idiot for not thinking about this before to be honest:biggrin: :congrats::congrats:

hope it goes well! don't be afraid of sending chase-up emails either, professors get ridiculous numbers of emails :tongue:
Original post by drsfgdg
I'm sorry but I'd prefer not to say which uni since I could very easily be identified in real life and I like being anonymous here. It's a mid-high ranking russel group and I'm in third year.

no problem, i was just wondering why you chose to apply to cambridge during thrid year? wouldn't that me you have to start again
Reply 14
no problem, i was just wondering why you chose to apply to cambridge during thrid year? wouldn't that me you have to start again

No it's only a masters:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by drsfgdg
No it's only the final year:smile:

sorry again, but can you acutally do that?? what is that process called.

Thats seems like something i would like to do haha x
Reply 16
sorry again, but can you acutally do that?? what is that process called.

Thats seems like something i would like to do haha x

It's just a normal masters. Loads of unis do it, oxford, imperial,ucl etc. Good luck if you want to but be aware it's extremely competitive and you can't get a full loan for it
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by drsfgdg
It's just a normal masters, which is the 4th year of a degree. Loads of unis do it. Good luck if you want to but be aware it's extremely competitive and you can't get a full loan for it

Hey, thank you! I will look into that. Would i be able to private message to ask you a few questions x
Reply 18
Hey, thank you! I will look into that. Would i be able to private message to ask you a few questions x

sure
Original post by drsfgdg

Some of your pro's and cons may be valid, but some certainly aren't. If your younger brother is a minor, you aren't likely to be allowed to be his primary carer if you are at Uni, but if there are any less critical caring responsibilities than that, the very short terms at Cambridge are likely to be more accommodating, vacation times certainly won't be lonely with the caring and the Uni work. So your logic is wrong there.

There are great and multi-layered welfare resources at Cambridge, and no-one is irreplaceable, you are going to graduate and leave this guy a year later anyway. So while it will be a change, it is a change that has to happen soon, and there are still multiple safety nets.

That Cambridge is 'obviously' going to be posher than you current university is simply incorrect (and imagine judging people the other way around and using it as a genuine excuse)

Seems to me the decision is really one more year in your comfort zone and then launch into the real world with a mid-ranking RG Masters or shift out of your comfort zone, into a new but very comfortable environment at Cambridge and launch into the real world with a Cambridge Masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending