The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do with my life. No idea what career path to go for?

Hi everyone. I am new here and I am hoping that some of you may be able to help me or at least give me some advice.

I will briefly start off with my education history. I went to college after school to do Business and Administration, which I did not mind but it was not something I wanted to go into. Afterwards, I did a Health and Social Care Diploma while I was working as a Care Assistant and I also did an NVQ.

I thought that was the sector I wanted to go into, but since working in a care home, it has completely put me off and I am now working as a cleaner! It pays the bills. I went to university to study Social Sciences, I left with a PgDip because I had a baby. After maternity, I went to another university to do Health and Social Care.

To be quite honest, I did not have any drive or passion to even bother graduating. The university itself was not good (I only went there because it was close and I was hoping it was not as bad as everyone made it out to be, but I was wrong!) After a lot of thinking, I have decided the course is really not for me and I have made the decision to not graduate because I was not going well in my assignments. Secondly, I just couldn't integrate my experience and passion into it and my dissertation was also not worthy. I was looking at a 2:2, possibly a third.

Now I am stuck in a rut. I have spoken to career advisers, but they are not much help. I don't want to be cleaning for the rest of my life, I really want to do something not only for myself but for my family and my child as well. I have been looking at going back to college, Open University, distance learning.... I really, really do not have a clue! I feel like I was wrong to give up so easily getting a degree, but I did not think it was worth it because I just did not have the motivation to succeed.

I hope there is somebody out there who has been in the same shoes as me. I feel like I am one big failure! I just want to move on.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by powderpuff-92
Hi everyone. I am new here and I am hoping that some of you may be able to help me or at least give me some advice.

I will briefly start off with my education history. I went to college after school to do Business and Administration, which I did not mind but it was not something I wanted to go into. Afterwards, I did a Health and Social Care Diploma while I was working as a Care Assistant and I also did an NVQ.

I thought that was the sector I wanted to go into, but since working in a care home, it has completely put me off and I am now working as a cleaner! It pays the bills. I went to university to study Social Sciences, I left with a PgDip because I had a baby. After maternity, I went to another university to do Health and Social Care.

To be quite honest, I did not have any drive or passion to even bother graduating. The university itself was not good (I only went there because it was close and I was hoping it was not as bad as everyone made it out to be, but I was wrong!) After a lot of thinking, I have decided the course is really not for me and I have made the decision to not graduate because I was not going well in my assignments. Secondly, I just couldn't integrate my experience and passion into it and my dissertation was also not worthy. I was looking at a 2:2, possibly a third.

Now I am stuck in a rut. I have spoken to career advisers, but they are not much help. I don't want to be cleaning for the rest of my life, I really want to do something not only for myself but for my family and my child as well. I have been looking at going back to college, Open University, distance learning.... I really, really do not have a clue! I feel like I was wrong to give up so easily getting a degree, but I did not think it was worth it because I just did not have the motivation to succeed.

I hope there is somebody out there who has been in the same shoes as me. I feel like I am one big failure! I just want to move on.

Is there anything you particularly enjoy, or that interests you? Not necessarily from a career perspective, but in general. You might be able to find a career goal looking at it from that route, or at least some potential sectors to investigate?

Quick Reply

Latest