Want more information about this university?

Is the final degree mark rounded up/down?

Watch
Msurreyzo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is the final degree mark rounded up/down?
I have got a 59.55% will that be rounded up to 60 for a 2.1? At university of surrey

''When calculating a student's aggregate mark for their final degree classification the University requires that the result of the calculation is as a whole integer. In calculations aggregate marks of 0.01-0.49 are rounded down; marks of 0.5-0.99 are rounded up.'' this is what the handbook states.
Alexnicklen96
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
At Newcastle University, final averages are rounded up to one decimal place if the second number after the decimal point is above five. So your average would become 59.6 but not 60. However, we have a system that rounds degree classifications up if you are within 2% of the next grade AND you have EITHER above 75 in the dissertation OR more module grades at the higher class boundary than any other grade. So if you have 59.6 (like you do) and you have 75 in the dissertation you would be awarded a 2:1. Alternatively, if you have 59.6 and 4 or more of your third-year modules are 2:1s then you would also graduate with a 2:1. Every university is different though.
Msurreyzo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alexnicklen96)
At Newcastle University, final averages are rounded up to one decimal place if the second number after the decimal point is above five. So your average would become 59.6 but not 60. However, we have a system that rounds degree classifications up if you are within 2% of the next grade AND you have EITHER above 75 in the dissertation OR more module grades at the higher class boundary than any other grade. So if you have 59.6 (like you do) and you have 75 in the dissertation you would be awarded a 2:1. Alternatively, if you have 59.6 and 4 or more of your third-year modules are 2:1s then you would also graduate with a 2:1. Every university is different though.
Thank you!!
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They will probably round up. Your student handbook should tell you what they do in the event of a borderline classification.
Msurreyzo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pathway)
They will probably round up. Your student handbook should tell you what they do in the event of a borderline classification.
It says in the handbook aggregate marks are rounded up im not sure if aggregate marks are each module marks or the overall classification mark?
abz1200
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If anyone is wondering the university of surrey rounds up.

I got 69.76 and got a first class. Uni of surrey has to be a whole integer so it went to 70% and that's a first. If I got 69.49 I would have got a 2:1 so round up at 0.5 and down at 0.49
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (177)
28.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (104)
16.69%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (57)
9.15%
I want to meet current students (52)
8.35%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (50)
8.03%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (126)
20.22%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (37)
5.94%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.21%

Watched Threads