Bubbles14lol
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

So I applied for csm product design, they asked for a merit but I got a pass. My teacher said she's gonna give them a call but that will be on Monday, and I'm anxious. I don't want to attend my other choices, also I think product design is not for me. I don't know what to do, is applying for clearing any good? If I apply on clearimg to another course, will they ask for a portfolio as well? And my portfolio is graphic and products design, is it impossible to apply for either fashion design or textiles? I have a lot of fashion designs I do at home which some are good, will that be of any help?

Plz guys let me know any info!

Thank you!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My impression was that usually you'll still have portfolio reviews in clearing (my sister did). You may be able to talk about the more general design processes you went through in building up your portfolio and talk about how that would relate to and be beneficial in a fashion or textiles design context, if your portfolio isn't as related, but my impression is some understanding of working with the different textiles is important to understand the limitations they impose on the design process...so this may vary.

Ultimately apparel is just another "product", simply not a technological one at the user end side (although it will involve a lot of technology to get to that stage). Realistically the industry is about large scale production of designs, so your experiences of product design may inform this in a useful manner, compared with those who may be more focused on the idea of "haute couture" and hand sewing over the top gowns and so on, which is realistically not actually a revenue source even for many major design houses.

You may find something like Fashion Marketing/Merchandising or similar of interest as well, and might draw more from your graphic design background explicitly too.
Bubbles14lol
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks a lot, so I guess I can still apply for the other courses and make it relevant in my talk and add a few fashion related things. This was so informative, thank you lot, I really appreciate it.
But do I have a big chance getting accepted through clearance? Or do they accept less people in clearance?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
24.15%
No (179)
75.85%

Watched Threads