The Student Room Group

Why do people take more than 3 A levels?

Unis only want 3 so I don't see why people take 4 or 5, it brings no benefits that I can see.

Scroll to see replies

e
Original post by Eihduejejeh
Unis only want 3 so I don't see why people take 4 or 5, it brings no benefits that I can see.

In theory it can show extra ability.
Some schools make you take 4.
It presents additional flexibility by allowing you to mess up an exam but still get the grades.
Because they enjoy more than 3 subjects
Also provides a larger range of professions to go in to
Reply 4
I took 7 A-Levels and I truly benefitted from
all of the subjects specially maths and biology.
Original post by Kevin70

You, my artificial bot friend, are a complete and utter liar.
Reply 6
I took 4 A levels basically because I was scared of getting a B in one of them. (I knew that I'd be able to get A*A* in Maths/Further Maths pretty comfortably, and that I'd need a further A for most unis I was interested in). You might say that it would have been better to focus my efforts and "ensure" an A, but tbh 4 A-levels isn't that much work, and on the day an exam can easily go wrong even if you're prepared.
edit: Kind of contradicting myself here since I'm saying I thought I could ensure A*A* in M/FM, but those A-levels are especially predictable and easy with preparation. My others, English and Physics, were less predictable, especially with the ******* exam board WJEC.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
I took 10 A-levels and got 9 A* and 1 A

That last A really ruined my career prospects
Original post by math42
I took 4 A levels basically because I was scared of getting a B in one of them. (I knew that I'd be able to get A*A* in Maths/Further Maths pretty comfortably, and that I'd need a further A for most unis I was interested in). You might say that it would have been better to focus my efforts and "ensure" an A, but tbh 4 A-levels isn't that much work, and on the day an exam can easily go wrong even if you're prepared.
edit: Kind of contradicting myself here since I'm saying I thought I could ensure A*A* in M/FM, but those A-levels are especially predictable and easy with preparation. My others, English and Physics, were less predictable, especially with the ******* exam board WJEC.

Hey I’m doing the exact same a levels as you
I do 4.

One of them is FM, so M doesn't really count. So it feels like 3 half the time.
Everyone starts with 4 at my school
Reply 11
Original post by Kevin70

I’m guessing you didn’t take English Language lol.
Almost everyone in our sixth form did 4 A levels in the first year. Most people drop 1 to do three but some decide to continue all four or five if they want to. People who want to continue their 4 or 5 however, have to had done well in 1st year though, otherwise they are advised to drop 1 or 2.
Reply 13
I'm worried I'll get a B in maths when I need an A to get to the uni I wanna go to. :afraid: I'm planning to take psych to get the grade, but I'll carry on with maths as well simply because I like it too much to drop it !
Reply 14
Original post by UmamiPiñapple
Hey I’m doing the exact same a levels as you

You have chosen wisely.
Yes, maths, biology, chemistry, physics, psychology, English and French were my favourites.
it may also depend on teaching environment for certain subjects, and the type of learning that people want to do.

some may, as said, have more than 3 interests, and they may find that their school (and possibly the course offered) would help them pursue their interest in a focused manner, with more guidance on important topics and problem-solving than self-study or reading solely for enjoyment might give.

it's likely that that would depend on their previous experiences (if any) with the subject at GCSE, the resources they thought they might have, and their knowledge of how well their teachers have taught them.

and, of course, it's also nice to work towards qualifications that keep your options open to a range of professions, and give you practice in a range of transferable skills.
Reply 17
Original post by 999tigger
e

In theory it can show extra ability.
Some schools make you take 4.
It presents additional flexibility by allowing you to mess up an exam but still get the grades.

But if you do 4 a levels then the uni should give you an offer consisting of 4 grades - unless of course they use the UCAS tariff system. Not too familiar with the points based system though, sorry!
I take 5 a levels because I enjoy them and I’m unsure still about what to do so It opens many prospects for me. Maths and Fmaths only count as one for most unis ( not maths courses )
Reply 19
Original post by L0renna
I take 5 a levels because I enjoy them and I’m unsure still about what to do so It opens many prospects for me. Maths and Fmaths only count as one for most unis ( not maths courses )

so if you take maths further maths and physics are you kinda screwed?

Quick Reply