The Student Room Group

Which degree is better at a top uni?

//
(edited 5 years ago)
Do you want to be a lawyer? Because if you don't its a worthless degree tbh. And its odd because it only qualifies you to begin training to be a lawyer, so it really kind of tracks you in.

History and politics is more interchangeable and seen as the short of degree where you pick up analytical thinking skills and could work anywhere.

When you say top unis? Which ones did you have in mind,

You could in theory do one or two apps to law, and then three to H&P.

Tbh H&P would be an interesting and frankly eaiser degree to get, not piss easy but more manageable imo. I know some people who do law, and they live in the library year one to three. By the time you get to third year in H&P most people are just improving their average and coasting in comparison.
Original post by Sergioo
Hi,

Basically, I’m stuck between studying Law or History&Politics at uni. I know law has much better prospects but should I just follow what I like more? I’m predicted 3A* at A level and I know for H&P I’m more likely to get in at a top uni. However Law is traditionally more viewed as an elite course and I am quite interested in it.
What do you guys think?

You should always go for that cross section of what you like, and what will get you to the career you love.

Which of the two would lead you to a career you love more? They're very similar, but prospects shows a bit of a difference between the career, which could give you an idea of what you prefer or would like to study: law, politics, history.
Reply 3
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Do you want to be a lawyer? Because if you don't its a worthless degree tbh. And its odd because it only qualifies you to begin training to be a lawyer, so it really kind of tracks you in.

History and politics is more interchangeable and seen as the short of degree where you pick up analytical thinking skills and could work anywhere.

When you say top unis? Which ones did you have in mind,

You could in theory do one or two apps to law, and then three to H&P.

Tbh H&P would be an interesting and frankly eaiser degree to get, not piss easy but more manageable imo. I know some people who do law, and they live in the library year one to three. By the time you get to third year in H&P most people are just improving their average and coasting in comparison.

Oh ok... Is law that bad in terms of no social life?
Original post by Sergioo
Oh ok... Is law that bad in terms of no social life?

No you can have a social life, just more of a tapered one, law simply requires alot of work, memorising sometimes complex aspects. Long lists like 100 cases at a time, its a commitment degree. H&P would be more flexible in that depending on your abilities. Probably half the work required.
Reply 5

Complete and utter nonsense.
Reply 6
Original post by Profesh
Complete and utter nonsense.

What do u mean?

I don't really buy this. A law degree is just as transferable as any arts or humanities degree, including business. Most people who take it don't end up working in law and yet their career is not dead. Name one career, with a history degree, other than teaching history, where you are at an advantage over a law grad? There are not many.

I went to the library once for about 2 hours, and then a fat lass who was eating a bag of crisps told me off for talking to my friend. I never went back. I find the idea that law requires great commitment something of a meme, when in reality to get an OK 2:1 all you need is to be a little smart and do some basic level of work. I am the laziest person you will meet, and I got by fine.
Reply 8
Original post by Notoriety
I went to the library once for about 2 hours, and then a fat lass who was eating a bag of crisps told me off for talking to my friend. I never went back. I find the idea that law requires great commitment something of a meme, when in reality to get an OK 2:1 all you need is to be a little smart and do some basic level of work. I am the laziest person you will meet, and I got by fine.

Ah where did you go and how did you do?
Reply 9
Original post by Sergioo
What do u mean?

That their opinion is unsubstantiated hogwash, and may be safely ignored.
I don't really buy this. A law degree is just as transferable as any arts or humanities degree, including business. Most people who take it don't end up working in law and yet their career is not dead. Name one career, with a history degree, other than teaching history, where you are at an advantage over a law grad? There are not many.

Wouldnt you always get that awkward question? Why arent you a fully qualified lawyer...

Point 2) yes of course
But im going off this person will need to do some studying as most people do, rarely can people pull 2:1s without any work in any respectable degree, at a reputable place.
Original post by Profesh
That their opinion is unsubstantiated hogwash, and may be safely ignored.

Your choice of words is strong, your substance however is awfully weak, why would OP be disadvantaged with a H&P degree for any job in comparison to an uncompleted law degree? And thats what it is, sort of a half start without a finish. Unless you want to be a lawyer im not sure i see the point. This is where you get to convince us all otherwise.
Wouldnt you always get that awkward question? Why arent you a fully qualified lawyer...

With respect, and I am not being a ****, you are saying that because you have no experience of general professional life. In reality, when you're in decent professional work, you're going to mix with people from all sorts of backgrounds. Only someone who knows nothing about that world would think anyone would be surprised that you aren't a lawyer. You will work with PhDs in biology, people who have business degrees and are middle management in telephony, and so on.

And you obviously haven't mixed with the law students at Notts, as you seem to believe that all of them are aspiring lawyers: they're not. A good number of law students take law because it is a respected degree which proves they possess an array of transferable skills. Just as you as a business student or a history student takes their degrees to end up working in accounting, or whatever. Our first lecture we were asked who wants to be a lawyer, put your hands up and it was less than 50%.

Point 2) yes of course
But im going off this person will need to do some studying as most people do, rarely can people pull 2:1s without any work in any respectable degree, at a reputable place.

I studied at a reputable place, believe me. All my friends, as you expect, were like me: lazy ****s. The point I lazily was getting at with the fat lass story is that she was being a slob (smelly food and making noise) yet was having a go at me for whispering. Why did she do that, given we were both being "offensive"? I was new and not part of the in-group she was a part of. She is not sitting there because she is working and reasonably expects everyone to facilitate her working. No, she just wants to sit around people she knows so she doesn't feel alone in the world.

Similar to the 65-year-old widower who spends every evening in a working men's club; they're not there for the cheap lager but to escape the ennui that life mainly offers. That lass, who you would think is a nerd, is no different to a 65-year-old alcoholic or the group of people who study in Pret or Starbucks. They're there for the experience rather than because they're first-class students.
(edited 5 years ago)
With respect, and I am not being a ****, you are saying that because you have no experience of general professional life. In reality, when you're in decent professional work, you're going to mix with people from all sorts of backgrounds. Only someone who knows nothing about that world would think anyone would be surprised that you aren't a lawyer. You will work with PhDs in biology, people who have business degrees and are are middle management in telephony, and so on.

I studied at a reputable place, believe me. All my friends, as you expect, were like me: lazy ****s. The point I lazily was getting at with the fat lass story is that she was being a slob (smelly food and making noise) yet was having a go at me for whispering. Why did she do that, given we were both being "offensive"? I was new and not part of the in-group she was a part of. She is not sitting there because she is working and reasonably expects everyone to facilitate her working. No, she just wants to sit around people she knows so she doesn't feel alone in the world.

Similar to the 65-year-old widower who spends every evening in a working men's club; they're not there for the cheap lager but to escape the ennui that life mainly offers. That lass, who you would think is a nerd, is no different to a 65-year-old alcoholic or the group of people who study in Pret or Starbucks. They're there for the experience rather than because they're first-class students.

I nearly offendedly stopped reading after business degree middle management telephony, really taking shots at us business degrees? 😭😂😂

But yes of course, you can definitely be lazy and cram, im sure its possible for law also, but i generally wouldnt recommend anyone go to uni to be lazy, so when i attempt to give advice i generally think of someone going to do well and give them a viewpoint as such lol, not them testing the boundaries lmao of not doing the work and pulling a 2:1.
Your choice of words is strong, your substance however is awfully weak, why would OP be disadvantaged with a H&P degree for any job in comparison to an uncompleted law degree?

I made no such argument: rather, your contention was to the effect that a degree in Law 'is only marketable to law-firms', which I rightly called out as uninformed dicksplash. At a "top uni", Law certainly opens at least as many doors as History & Politics: no-one who graduates M100 from my alma mater having decided against a legal career (ceteris paribus) will find themselves disadvantaged in comparison to a graduate of the latter.

And thats what it is, sort of a half start without a finish. Unless you want to be a lawyer im not sure i see the point. This is where you get to convince us all otherwise.

Given that yours is manifestly not the consensus position, and presents no compelling arguments to the contrary, I need "convince" no-one.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Profesh
I made no such argument: rather, your contention was to the effect that a degree in Law 'is only marketable to law-firms', which I rightly called out as uninformed dicksplash. At a "top uni", Law certainly opens at least as many doors as History & Politics: no-one who graduates M100 from my alma mater having decided against a legal career (ceteris paribus) will find themselves disadvantaged in comparison to a graduate of the latter.

Given that yours is manifestly not the consensus position, and presents no compelling arguments to the contrary, I need "convince" no-one.

Fair explanation, i think thats the information OP was looking for, the idea here is to give him some guidance, your name calling did little to that effect.

Quick Reply

Latest