Should I complain to my university about shambolic exams? Watch

vanessabio8
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello Everyone,

I'm currently studying a part time (2 year masters) at a (supposedly) respected university. I have had quite a poor experience of the course since starting last September e.g. being registered onto the incorrect modules, lecture material being unavailable, very difficult to get in touch with lecturers to ask for advice, receiving marks back up to 3 months after submitting assignments etc.. (I could go on all day). Despite this (and working a full time job) I have managed to achieve decent grades, all of which range from 68-85%.

A couple of days ago I sat my exams, we were given just 30 minutes for each module, and each exam was weighted as 50% of the module. We got very little guidance before the exam, no past papers, no example questions, the lecturers were very ambiguous when explaining exam structure and marking. It was stressed that the exam would not go into vast amounts of details due to the time limit (my subject is scientific, so there are vast amounts of highly specific details in the lecture content).

The exams were poorly executed, extremely disorganised and the wording/sentence structure of each question was also terrible (obviously hadn't been proof read beforehand). Some questions were also duplicated (definitely a copy and paste job!). Just to top it all off some questions asked for really specific details even though we were all encouraged NOT to memorise specific details for each subject, as they just wanted to ensure a general understanding of the fundamental principles that had been covered in the vast amount of lecture content.

Now, despite all of this I don't feel like I did catastrophically badly (though its hard to tell because apparently they have a negative marking scheme so anything is possible!). I am however, very disappointed with how the exams went and feel as if I did not get a chance to really display my knowledge, and now, as a result, my average grades are probably going to be dragged down significantly.

Lots of people on the course seem to feel the same and are complaining to the course leader. I'm weary about doing this as i'm worried I will be penalised when they mark the exams. However, I am paying a lot of money for this course, and right now I feel a bit cheated!

Should I complain about how the exams went, or should I just take the hit and pray for decent grades? Is there an independent body I could perhaps complain to instead of the course leader (who wrote, and is marking the exams)?.

Sorry for such a long post, and thank you in advance!
Holsthompson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vanessabio8)
Hello Everyone,

I'm currently studying a part time (2 year masters) at a (supposedly) respected university. I have had quite a poor experience of the course since starting last September e.g. being registered onto the incorrect modules, lecture material being unavailable, very difficult to get in touch with lecturers to ask for advice, receiving marks back up to 3 months after submitting assignments etc.. (I could go on all day). Despite this (and working a full time job) I have managed to achieve decent grades, all of which range from 68-85%.

A couple of days ago I sat my exams, we were given just 30 minutes for each module, and each exam was weighted as 50% of the module. We got very little guidance before the exam, no past papers, no example questions, the lecturers were very ambiguous when explaining exam structure and marking. It was stressed that the exam would not go into vast amounts of details due to the time limit (my subject is scientific, so there are vast amounts of highly specific details in the lecture content).

The exams were poorly executed, extremely disorganised and the wording/sentence structure of each question was also terrible (obviously hadn't been proof read beforehand). Some questions were also duplicated (definitely a copy and paste job!). Just to top it all off some questions asked for really specific details even though we were all encouraged NOT to memorise specific details for each subject, as they just wanted to ensure a general understanding of the fundamental principles that had been covered in the vast amount of lecture content.

Now, despite all of this I don't feel like I did catastrophically badly (though its hard to tell because apparently they have a negative marking scheme so anything is possible!). I am however, very disappointed with how the exams went and feel as if I did not get a chance to really display my knowledge, and now, as a result, my average grades are probably going to be dragged down significantly.

Lots of people on the course seem to feel the same and are complaining to the course leader. I'm weary about doing this as i'm worried I will be penalised when they mark the exams. However, I am paying a lot of money for this course, and right now I feel a bit cheated!

Should I complain about how the exams went, or should I just take the hit and pray for decent grades? Is there an independent body I could perhaps complain to instead of the course leader (who wrote, and is marking the exams)?.

Sorry for such a long post, and thank you in advance!
Maybe you gather everyone together who feels the same as you and go to the course leaders boss? At least that was it will all be official so they can’t mess with the exam marks? I’m not very aware of uni politics but this is what i would do if it was in my school x
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
OronaVader
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I second Holsthompson’s idea. It’s the only way you can make them understand that it actually is an issue which needs to be addressed by the higher management.

You could also try contacting any student committees that may tackle academic issues at your university. They are mostly comprised of students and they would definitely help you somehow.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.56%
No I am happy with my course choice (535)
59.44%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.22%

Watched Threads