The Student Room Group

What is Core Maths A Level like?

What grade would you suggest I need at GCSE to do this? Also how much harder than GCSE is it?
Core maths in A-Level is a step up from GCSE

What will usually happen in year 12 is you explore some of the higher level GCSE topics such as indices and work forwards from it.

Certain topics include:
Surds, sketching quadratics, quadratic inequalities, coordinate geometry, trigonometry (and the identities), polynomials, transformation of graphs, binomial expansion, combinations and permutations, differentiation and integration, vectors, exponentials with logarithms and modelling curves.

If you have any questions with any of these topics just ask and I’m sure anyone will be happy to help. I’ll pop in a sort of question too as an example if I can.
In my school you need to get a B (or 6) or higher to do A Level in any subject. It’s quite demanding in that you got to practise a lot, but if you are happy with playing with numbers then you will be absolutely fine. The first topics are familiar and then start getting slightly more complex and new but not impossible.
Original post by Marcus_:D
In my school you need to get a B (or 6) or higher to do A Level in any subject. It’s quite demanding in that you got to practise a lot, but if you are happy with playing with numbers then you will be absolutely fine. The first topics are familiar and then start getting slightly more complex and new but not impossible.

I got an 8 last year and I’m struggling with it. My school said 7 min for a level maths and they’re quite good at getting As/A*s
Reply 4
It's got a lot of numbers dude
Original post by Sophbarry16
I got an 8 last year and I’m struggling with it. My school said 7 min for a level maths and they’re quite good at getting As/A*s

That’s good well keep practising using corbett maths, mathsgenie, mymaths and crashmaths for resources! I literally ploughed through all of the maths papers in the old spec and was really successful. If you have time, look into the A*/9 questions as it makes you think more.
its alright, first year is mostly just gcse stuff ngl with some new bits here and there added in. I’m bout to go into year 13 so i cant say a lot bout the second year but u can guess its gonna be slightly harder lol BUT PRACTICING QUESTIONS IS KEEYYY. and if ur good with numbers then honestly ur fine
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Marcus_:D
That’s good well keep practising using corbett maths, mathsgenie, mymaths and crashmaths for resources! I literally ploughed through all of the maths papers in the old spec and was really successful. If you have time, look into the A*/9 questions as it makes you think more.

What do you mean sorry? I’ve already done gcse maths!

Quick Reply

Latest