Please help me choose my first uni choice !! For Medicine Watch

xym
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I got predicted A*AA in bio chem maths. I want to do medicine and im looking at oxbridge/imperial to be my first choice:
should i :

a) beg my teacher for an A* so i can apply to cambridge. tbh it seems unlikely he will raise it
b) Apply to oxford. Although I really dont want to do the late BMAT it seems really risky
c) Give up on oxbridge and apply to imperial. I want to at least try for oxbridge though

I got 9A*s and 3As at gcse btw

thanks for any advice!!
xym
Rep:
?
Oxford cambridge or imperial??
Predicted grade: A*AA
I cant apply to cambridge but should i try asking my teacher for a higher grade?
Oxford - dont wanna do the late bmat but want to apply to oxbridge
Imperial - should i just give up on oxbridge
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xym)
I cant apply to cambridge but should i try asking my teacher for a higher grade?
Oxford and imperial. If you don’t get Oxford, go to imperial.
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What's your GCSE profile?

Also, it doesn't really matter what your first choice is right now because you don't even have any offers.
Kevin70
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oxford 100%
Ddraigdwr2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don’t ask for a change in predicted grade, no point getting an offer and then missing it. Only apply for Oxbridge if you REALLY want it and there is no where else you would rather go - trust me the application process for all subjects is GRUELLING, I’ve been through it (and been rejected lol). Your GCSEs seem good enough for Oxford, so if you really want it, go for Oxford. You can always apply to Imperial as well. Good luck with your application )
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
xym
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ddraigdwr2)
Don’t ask for a change in predicted grade, no point getting an offer and then missing it. Only apply for Oxbridge if you REALLY want it and there is no where else you would rather go - trust me the application process for all subjects is GRUELLING, I’ve been through it (and been rejected lol). Your GCSEs seem good enough for Oxford, so if you really want it, go for Oxford. You can always apply to Imperial as well. Good luck with your application )
Alright! thanks and I can imagine lmao Only problem with oxford is the late bmat but i'll just have to deal with it i guess.
xym
Rep:
?
(Original post by ProRoadman)
Oxford and imperial. If you don’t get Oxford, go to imperial.
ok thanks!
xym
Rep:
?
(Original post by Volibear)
What's your GCSE profile?

Also, it doesn't really matter what your first choice is right now because you don't even have any offers.
9A*s 3As
and I guess, but if I have no chance for oxbridge I don't really want to fill a precious space up with one, as you only get 4 choices for medicine

thanks anyway
xym
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kevin70)
Oxford 100%
ahh thanks! only problem is late bmat tho
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xym)
9A*s 3As
and I guess, but if I have no chance for oxbridge I don't really want to fill a precious space up with one, as you only get 4 choices for medicine

thanks anyway
Why do you have no chance? EDIT ok just read everything properly. Go for Oxford but do yourself a favour and don't apply to all BMAT medical schools.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xym)
You don't have a "first" choice until (and if) you've got actually more than one offer to choose from...

There's no priority order on a UCAS application. The universities don't know your other choices, or the listing order, until after you have confirmed your firm/insurance decision.

But, yes, you will need an A*A*A prediction if you decide to apply to Cambridge.

PS. This has been moved to the Medicine forum.
username3694440
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
okay so you'll have to do excellently in the bmat because although you have a lot of gcses, your percentage A* is relatively low/not at the top end for oxford medicine. Also, don't apply to cambridge if you don't meet the minimum entry requirements/predictions of A*A*A (so don't do it unless you get it changed). Imperial should be okay but it all rests on your bmat tbh.
xym
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
You don't have a "first" choice until (and if) you've got actually more than one offer to choose from...

There's no priority order on a UCAS application. The universities don't know your other choices, or the listing order, until after you have confirmed your firm/insurance decision.

But, yes, you will need an A*A*A prediction if you decide to apply to Cambridge.

PS. This has been moved to the Medicine forum.
thanks you!! yes the priority order isn't really my problem it's just deciding whether to apply for oxford cambridge or either at all
xym
Rep:
?
(Original post by Volibear)
Why do you have no chance? EDIT ok just read everything properly. Go for Oxford but do yourself a favour and don't apply to all BMAT medical schools.
yes thats very true thank you! i was thinking half half, so 2 BMAT 2 UKCAT
xym
Rep:
?
(Original post by hello2906)
okay so you'll have to do excellently in the bmat because although you have a lot of gcses, your percentage A* is relatively low/not at the top end for oxford medicine. Also, don't apply to cambridge if you don't meet the minimum entry requirements/predictions of A*A*A (so don't do it unless you get it changed). Imperial should be okay but it all rests on your bmat tbh.
yes i thought this too actually! isnt the average like 10 A*s? and yeah im going off cambridge because i really doubt my teacher will improve my grade.
thank youuuuuu
Kevin70
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oxford first
Cambridge next
Forget the rest
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by xym)
thanks you!! yes the priority order isn't really my problem it's just deciding whether to apply for oxford cambridge or either at all
Do you like the course at either Cambridge or Oxford?
Sien Hai
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Both Oxford and Imperial place a very heavy emphasis on the BMAT. Oxford is less lenient - 300 (out of 2000 applicants normally) shortlisted for interview solely based on highest BMAT scores (and contextual GCSE grades, the word contextual is VERY important as it outweighs all this "A* ratio" people keep mentioning. If someone at a worser school got all As they WILL get more points than someone at a good school with 10 A*s), and only around 150 awarded places post interview.

So if want to apply to both, just be cautious that you will need to exceed in the BMAT.
westcw13
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As has been said above, make sure you really want to go to Oxford/Cambridge before you choose to apply there, as opposed to letting your grades dictate it.

I found BMAT and interviews for Cambridge very tough, so you've got to want it bad to get it - although don't let this put you off applying, you can't get in if you don't apply after all!

If you really want Oxford, then I'd definitely apply if I were you
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads