HELP: English Language Language Investigation Watch

tanisha04
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I am about to start my English Language Investigation but i am stuck for ideas. Is there anyone out there that has already done the investigation and would be willing to share some ideas? So far im thinking of doing an investigation into the use of language technique in news reports in news reports of the 9/11 attacks. I did want to do an investigation into comparing the gender difference between David Cameron and Theresa May but i have found that this is a very common idea and i want to be original. Please hmu anyone !!
IB NINA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I don’t know if this is a good idea but maybe investigate the difference in language usage used by millennials compared to language usage in like the 70s. Evaluate how there’s so much jargon and slang nowadays through texts and social media whereas maybe back then everything was in full sentences and not a lot of slang.

Or even investigate the difference of language usage in social media vs. Literature.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Flocoa
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Well, I'd first pin down the sort of overriding section of language you want to investigate (for example like what area of sociolinguistics would you want to investigate in particular - gender? race? youth? occupation? power?). With this method you will always have some form of theory to talk about. In terms of uniqueness, I wouldn't pin originality with the most important aspect of picking a topic since it has to interest you as an individual (it's just a bonus if it's super original!). For example, one of the more quirky ones from past years at my school was an investigation in class and how language used in different supermarkets (waitrose/tesco/aldi) differentiated. When I was deciding my topic I did a mindmap to get my interests down and had like 5 plans of potential investigations. Try to think openly in these early stages of planning your investigation, also the idea that you have on news reports seems really interesting! Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (115)
17.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (69)
10.57%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (113)
17.3%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (97)
14.85%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (196)
30.02%

Watched Threads