The Student Room Group

Self-harm scars [Trigger warning]

How do you get rid of scares or burns if possible ?
Reply 1
I've not used any of these methods to reduce a scar before, but this page might help
https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Scars
I wrote out a huge reply to this and just accidentally deleted it, I'm so sorry :frown: x

IN SUMMARY

- Time is the best healer ( I had some nasty ones which are all but got now )
- Take proper care of them if they're fresh; use antiseptic cream like sudocrem, plasters, bandages, etc to help heal them in short-run
- If they are definitely healed, try fake-tanning so everything is a similar colour, use concealer if you wish. If they're not properly healed, don't do this as it might infect them x
- Get a wrist support to hide it and help protect it. If people ask why you wear one, you can say its a repetitive strain injury or carpal tunnel.
Nothing too serious to worry friends and family and people won't ask too many questions :smile:
- Wear long tops over plasters or bandages to help protect them further. In this weather a light shirt will do the trick
- Some people use bio-oil or aloe-vera, although the effectiveness of this is debatable
- Buy the DBT Worksheets book on Amazon by Marsha Lineham (£20) and ask your GP if your council offer DBT :smile: Its designed for people who self-harm and will help you learn prevention strategies, my DBT nurse used that book with me. It's really effective at stopping people from self-harming and
regulating emotions

The therapy is very effective so reach for that, but in the short-term the book will give you some strategies like 'opposite action' to help prevent it
happening again...
Thus getting rid of them in the long-term :smile:

I hope this helps! Please remember that you're not alone, 1 in 4 people suffer from mental health issues but there is always a way out :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Lostsomewhere1
How do you get rid of scares or burns if possible ?

Try rubbing bio-oil into them
Worked for my scars
If you have a light complexion, lemon juice apparently lightens the scar tissue, making them harder to distinguish from the rest of your skin.

However reducing the appearance of self-harm scars isn't a solution to any future relapses into self-harming. I'd suggest speaking with your school/University's counsellor if you've still got some issues on your mind. Your username sounds like you are indeed still struggling.

https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/your-feelings/self-harm/self-harm/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GEN_E_Childline_Self_Harm&utm_term=childline_self-harm&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1NzZBRCoARIsAIaMwusyOF3a-7pd2xwSv4bYSb4VMVjusPR3T8QVK33IvT4V3Nlzh_suumIaAlqZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

- Childline link.

Apologies if my assumption of you still being in education is wrong and I sound condescending.
(edited 5 years ago)
E4 seems to help a little for me

good luck :hugs:
Reply 6
Microneedling. (Ironically.)

Quick Reply

Latest