Abblob
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello!

I’m planning on starting my IB maths IA exploration for my HL class these holidays, and I was wondering whether anyone has any ideas for good topics? I’m interested in algebra, calculus and geometry. 

I do have some ideas for topics, and I’m leaning towards:

Fractals - I’m not sure if this is a good topic or not, as after hours of scrolling through threads on here many people have said that it is too complicated? I had originally planned to perhaps figure out some formulas regarding some of the simpler fractal designs like the Koch snowflake, and maybe looking at the coastline paradox. Is this a good topic, and if so what else could be explored? I do find fractals quite intriguing but I’m just not sure what could be explored.

Amusement park mathematics - I personally think that this topic could be interesting to explore. I was thinking that I could look at roller coasters and Ferris wheels, and maybe those clown mouth things where you throw balls in them. I thought I could calcalate speed, height, surface area, cost and derivatives of the Ferris wheel and roller coaster, and also find out how to get the ball in the clown’s mouth using maths. What else could be explored, and is the maths advanced enough?

Famous structures around the world - I thought for this topic I could explore structures like the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Eiffel Tower, etc. and discuss their surface area, cost, safety, angles, etc. What else could I explore amongst these structures that would be unique and interesting? And is the maths sufficient for this level?

Also, for the last two points, I know I should probably focus on one aspect of amusement parks/structure. What one should I focus on?
 Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! 
Rohan77642
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did mine on investigating the relation between definite integrals and the symmetry of graphs.

But I got 13/20 which is a 5 so I don't know whether you want advice from me.
Abblob
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Haha thank you, but it’s okay, I know what I’m doing now
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (202)
19.27%
Labour (444)
42.37%
Liberal Democrats (204)
19.47%
Green Party (54)
5.15%
Brexit Party (28)
2.67%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (15)
1.43%
Plaid Cymru (10)
0.95%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.1%
Sinn Fein (2)
0.19%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (3)