ZacharyHamilton
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So... I am a very confused with a question I have to answer.
I have data on the (resting) metabolic rate of many fish species, along with their trophic level (how high up the food chain they are).
The p value for this statistical analysis suggests a 'statistically significant result'. So I might expect a plot of the data to show a clear linear, (positive, because the Pearson correlation value is positive) relationship between trophic level and metabolic rate. However, in fact in the plot of the data I don't see any clear lineal. The points are literally everywhere. What could be the possible answer from the following ones??
a. The correlation between metabolic rate and trophic level represents a statistically significant result
b. The correlation between metabolic rate and trophic level is statistically significant but the relationship appears to be weak
c. Increases in trophic level are correlated with increases in metabolic rate
d. The is a positive relationship between metabolic rate and trophic level in fish

Thanks, I struggle a lot with this type of multi choice questions that seem so confusing.
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ZacharyHamilton)
So... I am a very confused with a question I have to answer.
I have data on the (resting) metabolic rate of many fish species, along with their trophic level (how high up the food chain they are).
The p value for this statistical analysis suggests a 'statistically significant result'. So I might expect a plot of the data to show a clear linear, (positive, because the Pearson correlation value is positive) relationship between trophic level and metabolic rate. However, in fact in the plot of the data I don't see any clear lineal. The points are literally everywhere. What could be the possible answer from the following ones??
a. The correlation between metabolic rate and trophic level represents a statistically significant result
b. The correlation between metabolic rate and trophic level is statistically significant but the relationship appears to be weak
c. Increases in trophic level are correlated with increases in metabolic rate
d. The is a positive relationship between metabolic rate and trophic level in fish

Thanks, I struggle a lot with this type of multi choice questions that seem so confusing.
Could you post the actual question and the plot of the data you mention? Also, if you have the numbers for the p value and the correlation coefficient, though these may be qualitative in the question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (165)
14.59%
I'm not sure (51)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (335)
29.62%
I have already dropped out (34)
3.01%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.28%

Watched Threads