The Student Room Group

Applying to Oxford/Cambridge without GCSEs

I'm South African, and GCSEs isn't part of our curriculum. I am, however, doing 4 GCSE subjects and then their A levels, because I really want to go to Oxfor or Cambridge. I know Oxford finds GCSE results very important, that's why I want to know: if I receive good A level grades, would I stand a chance at admission by using my South African school marks instead of GCSEs?
Reply 1
You need to understand that Cambridge and Oxford are extremely competitive and that most students will have A or even A* in all of their A Levels. Because of this, GCSEs are often the only way to distinguish between applicants, so are weighed heavily.

It honestly, though, depends on the course that you are looking to apply to and whether or not your grades are up to their standards.
Original post by Emvdw
I'm South African, and GCSEs isn't part of our curriculum. I am, however, doing 4 GCSE subjects and then their A levels, because I really want to go to Oxfor or Cambridge. I know Oxford finds GCSE results very important, that's why I want to know: if I receive good A level grades, would I stand a chance at admission by using my South African school marks instead of GCSEs?

What do Oxford and Cambridge say on their websites about South African qualifications?
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
What do Oxford and Cambridge say on their websites about South African qualifications?

The South African National Senior Certificate (thus the South African qualification) isn't sufficient. I have to do A Levels in order for my entry to be eligible.
Original post by Emvdw
The South African National Senior Certificate (thus the South African qualification) isn't sufficient. I have to do A Levels in order for my entry to be eligible.

Ok, so nothing about any equivalent to GCSEs?
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
Ok, so nothing about any equivalent to GCSEs?

No, that's why I'm hoping that my current school marks could be seen as equivalent to GCSEs. I had an 89.6% average last year, which for Oxford isn't very well, so that's why I'm working hard this year to try and bring my grades up.
Original post by Emvdw
No, that's why I'm hoping that my current school marks could be seen as equivalent to GCSEs. I had an 89.6% average last year, which for Oxford isn't very well, so that's why I'm working hard this year to try and bring my grades up.

Nothing to stop you applying to either of them, but it's possible that you might be more successful post A-level.

There's a thread in the Cambridge forum where you can ask an admissions tutor a question, so that might be an idea.
Reply 7
Alright thanks for the help!
Original post by Emvdw

I would say it is very risky as Oxbridge tend to emphasis a lot on GCSEs. But why not give it a go if you think you feel that you are confident enough to get in. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending