The Student Room Group

Driving test nerves

Hello. Wondered if anybody could offer me any advice? About a month ago I failed my driving test due to nerves as I was rushing and didn’t take my time properly causing me to fail as I wasn’t looking closely enough and it was really hard to see, causing me to fail because of observation. My dad is a qualified instructor and I have severe anxiety and tells me I am more than ready for my test and I deserve to pass because I am a really good driver and can pass easily if I don’t over think things and just drive” however my test is in 3 days and the last 2 days I have become really nervous and started doing things wrong. For instance on my last test I had the bay park and I did this perfectly on my test, can I do a bay park now NO. I really want to cancel this test but he won’t let me as he says he knows I am good enough to pass and that I will never feel 100% ready. But how can I feel confident when I am messing these things up that I never used to mess up? I am also panicking because recently he had heard that they have recently introduced a new test route which I have only covered once each because these never used to be a rest route and they are really complicated and I genuinely feel if this comes up I my test I will not be able to do it due to nerves and stress? Can anyone help?
Severe anxiety is down to overthinking and being pessimistic. Do the opposite; Be optimistic and say to yourself that you can drive. If you really say you're a good driver, then stop being nervous and stay with that thought.
Original post by TSR_Leon
Severe anxiety is down to overthinking and being pessimistic. Do the opposite; Be optimistic and say to yourself that you can drive. If you really say you're a good driver, then stop being nervous and stay with that thought.

Thank you I will do my best
What grade instructor is your father, and what did mark did he get on his check test? Even though he's your dad, he needs to make sure that you have a repeatable method for doing everything. If you don't have that then although you might pass your test you may not be ready to go out on the road.

Why not call up another instructor an see of they'll take you out for a mock test. Go to the .gov.uk website to 'find a driving instructor'. See if there is a grade A instructor with a score of around 50.
Original post by DrivingTestPro
What grade instructor is your father, and what did mark did he get on his check test? Even though he's your dad, he needs to make sure that you have a repeatable method for doing everything. If you don't have that then although you might pass your test you may not be ready to go out on the road.

Why not call up another instructor an see of they'll take you out for a mock test. Go to the .gov.uk website to 'find a driving instructor'. See if there is a grade A instructor with a score of around 50.

My dad got the highest grade on the check test they give grades now as they recently changed it and he got an A. I do a mock test pretty much every time we go out too
That's good. Just wanted to make sure that you were aware. If your dad's a grade A and says you're ready he can see that you have the ability. There is a difference between ability in the real world and test performance. The test is an artificial situation that causes a different emotional respose to driving once the test is passed. Although you are suffering performance anxiety, it would be a good idea to take the test. If you fail you can always have another go, if you fail it might help reduce your anxiety for the next test. Good luck.
Original post by DrivingTestPro
That's good. Just wanted to make sure that you were aware. If your dad's a grade A and says you're ready he can see that you have the ability. There is a difference between ability in the real world and test performance. The test is an artificial situation that causes a different emotional respose to driving once the test is passed. Although you are suffering performance anxiety, it would be a good idea to take the test. If you fail you can always have another go, if you fail it might help reduce your anxiety for the next test. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your advice I will do my best to feel more confident x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending