The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL War Studies reading list?

can anybody who does the course / knows what they're talking about recommend a book out of the recommended reading list?

(Herfried Munkler) The New Wars
(Rupert Smith) Utility of Force
(Lawrence Freedman, ed.) War
(John Keegan) The Face of Battle
(Michael Weiss and Hassan Hassan) ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror
(David Sanger) Confront and Conceal
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by raveyard
can anybody who does the course / knows what they're talking about recommend a book out of the recommended reading list?

(Herfried Munkler) The New Wars
(Rupert Smith) Utility of Force
(Lawrence Freedman, ed.) War
(John Keegan) The Face of Battle
(Michael Weiss and Hassan Hassan) ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror
(David Sanger) Confront and Conceal

I've just finished my first year on the course. The three most important ones there are War, The Utility of Force and The Face of Battle. You could also try War and the Liberal Conscience, that's a very short read and you'll have a book review on it in the first term.
Reply 3
Original post by TangoWhisky
I've just finished my first year on the course. The three most important ones there are War, The Utility of Force and The Face of Battle. You could also try War and the Liberal Conscience, that's a very short read and you'll have a book review on it in the first term.

Thank you so much!
Any one of those three in particular?
Reply 4
Hey! Just finished my first year! The books recommended are seriously books you will use more on a consultation basis or read specific parts for certain assignments. I would recommend flipping through Freedman, since it is quite interesting, and picking out the parts you are most interested in. For Smith, reading the introduction and the third part of the book should suffice to give you a head start. But the one I would recommend above all is On War by Clausewitz, since it is by far the most important and most useful for first year. Hope that helped!!!

Quick Reply

Latest