law at university - UCL, kings college and LSE Watch

whitakeri
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am applying to study law at university and I am very interested in UCL, Kings college and LSE. I am only looking to apply to 2 of these universities... Could any current students give me an insight into student life and studying law at these universities. Thank you in advance.
DCDCo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by whitakeri)
I am applying to study law at university and I am very interested in UCL, Kings college and LSE. I am only looking to apply to 2 of these universities... Could any current students give me an insight into student life and studying law at these universities. Thank you in advance.
I applied to and received offers from all 3. I'd say some considerations are as follows:

1. Reputation: Generally, UCL/LSE are considered 'better' than KCL. This is subjective.

2. LNAT: All three Uni's require the LNAT now, however, based on this years results, KCL was accepting much lower LNAT scores than UCL. KCL also entirely disregards the essay portion of the LNAT. I expect LSE, given that is likes to mention it is "consistently the top Uni outside of Oxbridge" (quoted from their Open Day), I expect them to require Oxford-level scores (usually +7 the average Cohort).

3. Size: LSE is much smaller than KCL/UCL. Something to consider.

4. Personal Statement: LSE has a reputation for placing emphasis on this with many students rejected as a result.

In terms of learning. Whilst I haven't enrolled yet, LSE also requires you complete the LSE100 which is additional work for you. On my UCL open day, someone remarked the reason why they didn't choose LSE over UCL is that they "wanted a life". Make of that what you will.

Given the above, i'd say a sensible option would be to apply to KCL + One other. That way you are guarding yourself against not achieving predicted grades/high LNAT score whilst also having an application open to a Top Law Uni

Good luck.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd go for UCL + LSE if I was a strong candidate who did well in the LNAT, or KCL + one of the others if I was not.

There's really not much of a reason to pick KCL over UCL unless you cannot get into the latter.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
I'd go for UCL + LSE if I was a strong candidate who did well in the LNAT, or KCL + one of the others if I was not.

There's really not much of a reason to pick KCL over UCL unless you cannot get into the latter.
Well, the name's cooler. King's College versus University College.

We don't even have a king any more; how wacky.
DCDCo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Well, the name's cooler. King's College versus University College.

We don't even have a king any more; how wacky.
What even is a University College? Is it a University? A College? How could anyone possible attend an institution that is so ambiguous.
DCDCo
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)

I agree with this. In fact, I wish i'd be a little more organised and swapped out KCL for Oxford/Cambridge.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DCDCo)
What even is a University College? Is it a University? A College? How could anyone possible attend an institution that is so ambiguous.
Then you have the School of Economics. I am going to have a comparative economics lecturer teach me land law? No, thanks. KCL for me.
NYU℠
Badges: 20
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Then you have the School of Economics. I am going to have a comparative economics lecturer teach me land law? No, thanks. KCL for me.
Well, then you also have places like University of Chicago, where people think it’s fun to get a JD and a PhD in economics, and then apply game theory and econometrics to legal analysis.

Welcome to land law 101, today we’ll be reviewing how the land registration system affected property values.... look all these graphs! Let’s do the math.
Arbitio LNAT
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
UCL:

1. Course. Each Module's lecture series is outstanding and usually delivered by one or two convenors. The tutorial system is the second best to Oxbridge - there is a range in quality of tutors, but with some effort, you can ensure to be taught by some remarkable ones. The coursework element could be a bit more extensive in the first two years to push you that bit more. The workload is certainly more about quality than quantity.

2. Good selection of optional modules. You have a limited variety in the style of assessments, but you can still play up to your strengths. The standards are kept demanding across the board. Having said that, it feels like certain areas of law are flagship to the Faculty - for example, Property Law and Unjust Enrichment teaching is at the forefront of academia.

3. The Law Faculty is supportive and attracts great speakers to its rich programme of events. At the same time, it is not insular of the rest of university - there are opportunities to pursue related interests in other subjects as part of your degree. UCL LawSoc is active and has a host of good competitions.
whitakeri
Rep:
?
(Original post by DCDCo)
I applied to and received offers from all 3. I'd say some considerations are as follows:

1. Reputation: Generally, UCL/LSE are considered 'better' than KCL. This is subjective.

2. LNAT: All three Uni's require the LNAT now, however, based on this years results, KCL was accepting much lower LNAT scores than UCL. KCL also entirely disregards the essay portion of the LNAT. I expect LSE, given that is likes to mention it is "consistently the top Uni outside of Oxbridge" (quoted from their Open Day), I expect them to require Oxford-level scores (usually +7 the average Cohort).

3. Size: LSE is much smaller than KCL/UCL. Something to consider.

4. Personal Statement: LSE has a reputation for placing emphasis on this with many students rejected as a result.

In terms of learning. Whilst I haven't enrolled yet, LSE also requires you complete the LSE100 which is additional work for you. On my UCL open day, someone remarked the reason why they didn't choose LSE over UCL is that they "wanted a life". Make of that what you will.

Given the above, i'd say a sensible option would be to apply to KCL + One other. That way you are guarding yourself against not achieving predicted grades/high LNAT score whilst also having an application open to a Top Law Uni

Good luck.

Thank you so much for such a detailed response, it was very helpful!
whitakeri
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arbitio LNAT)
UCL:

1. Course. Each Module's lecture series is outstanding and usually delivered by one or two convenors. The tutorial system is the second best to Oxbridge - there is a range in quality of tutors, but with some effort, you can ensure to be taught by some remarkable ones. The coursework element could be a bit more extensive in the first two years to push you that bit more. The workload is certainly more about quality than quantity.

2. Good selection of optional modules. You have a limited variety in the style of assessments, but you can still play up to your strengths. The standards are kept demanding across the board. Having said that, it feels like certain areas of law are flagship to the Faculty - for example, Property Law and Unjust Enrichment teaching is at the forefront of academia.

3. The Law Faculty is supportive and attracts great speakers to its rich programme of events. At the same time, it is not insular of the rest of university - there are opportunities to pursue related interests in other subjects as part of your degree. UCL LawSoc is active and has a host of good competitions.
Thank you so much for such a great insight!
new1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I applied to Kings and UCL and got offers from both. If you need any advice about personal statements, predicted grades, wider reading or LNAT prep feel free to message me!
whitakeri
Rep:
?
(Original post by new1234)
I applied to Kings and UCL and got offers from both. If you need any advice about personal statements, predicted grades, wider reading or LNAT prep feel free to message me!
Thank you so much, that is very kind of you. And I will definitely take you up on your offer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (135)
17.74%
It's just nice to be back! (204)
26.81%
Not great so far... (273)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (149)
19.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed