Elly_H
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Ok, so I was desperate to go to Uni in London, applied to UCL and KCL and got rejected despite having all the right qualifications (I did consider applying to some of the less popular London Universities just for the lifestyle but decided that I wanted to go to the best University that my grades could get me into). I've accepted that this isn't happening, and as I'm not prepared to take another gap year I want to go somewhere else with plenty of stuff to do.

I'm now holding unconditional offers from Leicester and Birmingham, and I'm quite keen on the latter as it has a lot of the things that attracted me to living in London - big city atmosphere, good nightlife, a few theatres (I'm studying English Lit). Thing is, I've never actually been to Birmingham apart from to visit the University, and I'd like to know more about student life (or just life in general) in the City. Do people tend to stick to the areas around the campus or do they venture further afield? I don't want to be constantly in the 'Student Bubble' of the campus and was wondering what there is to do in Birmingham itself - I know it's got a bad rep as some kind of 1960's concrete dump but I'm sure that it's not as bad as everyone says. Is there enough to keep me busy there for 3 years? :confused:
Kitty Pimms
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Bad luck on not getting into your first choices, but in some ways it's a great opportunity - as you say, Birmingham has lots going on, it's only an hour and a half from London on the train, and it's a lot cheaper - which you will appreciate as a student It's not as busy as London but it's also a lot less manic, and you don't have to use the tube!! I'm told the English department at the uni is also excellent, although I can't comment on that personally.

Okay, to take this in turn, the theatres are generally very good. There is obviously less range than London, but you can usually find interesting shows on at the Rep and the Hippodrome is another favourite of mine (mainly I have to confess because of the ballet - possibly less useful for the English degree, but definitely worth checking out nonetheless). There's a really busy student-oriented nightlife, with some kind of club night on pretty much every night of the week. A lot of the students flock to broad street, but the place can get a bit chavvy at times, but there's plenty for the more alternative-inclined - like snobs, subway city, the med bar as was, the sanctuary, subculture etc etc.

Most of the students go into Brum a lot - Selly Oak is great for amenities, but it's not exactly bangin' - and central Birmingham's only about 5-7 minutes from University station (it's normally about £1.20 a ticket with your railcard). It's really not a bubble at all, in fact it's a nice combination of campus atmosphere but with the amenities of Brum on your doorstep.

The city itself is pretty cool - there's been a heck of a lot of regeneration since the 1960s, with new buildings going up seemingly every day. Most of the concrete's gone now, and has been replaced by loads of shops and eateries and such. You can always find something to do, and if you get bored of the centre of Brum, some of the suburbs are great - Moseley is about 10 minutes on the bus and has some gorgeous Victorian architecture, great pubs and some nice left-field shops.

Have fun!
Elly_H
Really helpful, thankyou!
Yusuf.T
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Broad Street is where all the clubs are though most are shut due to building works, so the ebst place to go for clubs in OCEANA.. God i love that place, good music, right next to the defunkt-ish china town
Bull Ring is where everyone normally hangs, its funky postmodern touch if really cool, plus if your bored, just go into selfridges, theres enough there to past the time
Avoid Lozzells & Perry Barr, biggest loads of kack.. full of drama which you dont need
For Desi Food (yum yum) Ladypool Road is the place
AMC Cinema which is just off broad street is like the best cinema ever, £3.50 for a ticket
Brindley Place is a nice little area, you will find loads of emos and skaters there though but they dont bite so its all good.

Errm thats all i casn think of atm, if you need anymore info just PM me.
Kitty Pimms
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Elly_H)
Really helpful, thankyou!
No problem. If there's anything else you want to know about the city or university, feel free to ask - I'm sure between us the forum-goers will know the answer!
dandon_30
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
why does everyone seem to hate brum? My firm offer is brum and since then i've been hearing shocks after shocks about the uni and the city itself! I am starting to have nightmares!
Kitty Pimms
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
By the way, I've just trawled the wiki entry and (hopefully) added some useful information. I'm planning to add a culture section when I get round to it to reflect the questions asked in this thread.
Kitty Pimms
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dandon_30)
why does everyone seem to hate brum? My firm offer is brum and since then i've been hearing shocks after shocks about the uni and the city itself! I am starting to have nightmares!
Basically Birmingham was decimated in World War II (as it was the country's main industrial centre) and was then rebuilt very hastily and cheaply in the 1950s-60s, as the Government of the time's focus was on regenerating London. As a result, a lot of the new buildings around that period were really rather grim. Most of them have been replaced since with some really lovely new buildings, and the Victorian gems left have been rediscovered and regenerated, but Birmingham has changed hugely in the last ten years. Abut 10-20 years ago Birmingham was known as being a really ugly city (and was a popular source of mockery because of it) and a lot of the people who still believe it to be full of concrete simply haven't visited it since. It's not full of dreaming spires, but there are plenty of beautiful bits in both the uni and the city.

If you want any specific advice, Dandon, feel free to PM me.
Gaara.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Yusuf2007)
Broad Street is where all the clubs are though most are shut due to building works, so the ebst place to go for clubs in OCEANA.. God i love that place, good music, right next to the defunkt-ish china town
Bull Ring is where everyone normally hangs, its funky postmodern touch if really cool, plus if your bored, just go into selfridges, theres enough there to past the time
Avoid Lozzells & Perry Barr, biggest loads of kack.. full of drama which you dont need
For Desi Food (yum yum) Ladypool Road is the place
AMC Cinema which is just off broad street is like the best cinema ever, £3.50 for a ticket
Brindley Place is a nice little area, you will find loads of emos and skaters there though but they dont bite so its all good.

Errm thats all i casn think of atm, if you need anymore info just PM me.
£3.50 a ticket
lol sounds pretty good overall

Now to Get that C in physics :p:
HJV
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Yusuf2007)
Bull Ring is where everyone normally hangs
Meh, I don't know anyone who "normally hangs" in the Bull Ring. Thankfully. Sounds awful... :rolleyes:

"Hanging" in a Selly Oak pub is a lot better :p:
Yusuf.T
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by HJV)
Meh, I don't know anyone who "normally hangs" in the Bull Ring. Thankfully. Sounds awful... :rolleyes:

"Hanging" in a Selly Oak pub is a lot better :p:
if not in the bull ring then around it
daman982
Report 11 years ago
the only people i see hanging around the bullring are 15 year old emo kids and the big issue guy with the dog outside waterstones
Elly_H
Yeah, I decided to go and have a look around the place today and I must admit there were a suspicious amount of emo kids! They seemed pretty amiable though, not the scary kind, so it's all good. I was actually quite surprised by Birmingham, it wasn't at all like I expected/had been told it was like. There were even a few pretty buildings I'm so relieved.
Gaara.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
see dont knock it till you try it
Saff
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by daman982)
the only people i see hanging around the bullring are 15 year old emo kids and the big issue guy with the dog outside waterstones
:rofl: how true

yeah Brum is ok... improved a lot over recent years and many people seem to be pleasantly surprised when they visit
dandon_30
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
what are emo kids?
Kitty Pimms
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dandon_30)
what are emo kids?
I apologise in advance for subjecting you to this visual assault of bad taste.

http://www.luv-emo.com/emopic.html
largebrandon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by IlexAquifolium)

I wish my grass was emo, so it would cut itself. . .
Kitty Pimms
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by largebrandon)
I wish my grass was emo, so it would cut itself. . .
*chuckle*
dandon_30
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by IlexAquifolium)

emo could be a synounym for creepy! Emo i like not! lol!
thnx for the defination!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)
3.83%
Classical (46)
5.87%
Hip-Hop (148)
18.88%
Electronic (53)
6.76%
Indie (128)
16.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise