The Student Room Group

PSA: Most Degrees are worthless!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
how about architecture
Reply 21
Original post by Duncan2012
Well, when/if you do eventually get to university please make a point of telling all non-STEM lecturers what you think of their chosen careers and paths. I’m sure they’d give your opinion the due consideration it deserves. Presumably you’d also want them to shut all social science faculties, arts faculties, language labs, English departments...

I recognise that humanity subjects have academic value and I am more than happy for people to study them and become professors. However, I hate that my parents have to subsidise these subjects which do not produce anything of value for themselves. They have worked hard all of their lives so that they can fund middle class poshos to become 'enlightened' etc.
Reply 22
Original post by nepalm
how about architecture

I haven't looked into architecture much but I imagine it is quite oversaturated. Not sure about it unless you get into a good uni.
Reply 23
Original post by JB2001
I haven't looked into architecture much but I imagine it is quite oversaturated. Not sure about it unless you get into a good uni.

wbich unis are the best to go in the midlands
Reply 24
Original post by nepalm
wbich unis are the best to go in the midlands

It varies from subject to subject. If you want to study architecture, just search for 'top universities for architecture', then pick the best one closest to you I guess.
You are aware that not everyone with a STEM degree will have a career as a scientist or engineer forever? People change over time. Is their degree now worthless to you (and your parent’s money) because they don’t work in the field?
A degree is a degree, it gets respect - some jobs just require that level of education without any further specifics. There’s very little use forcing everyone to study STEM subjects when there aren’t enough jobs going in that field to make the hard work worth it.
Reply 26
Original post by Conniestitution
You are aware that not everyone with a STEM degree will have a career as a scientist or engineer forever? People change over time. Is their degree now worthless to you (and your parent’s money) because they don’t work in the field?
A degree is a degree, it gets respect - some jobs just require that level of education without any further specifics. There’s very little use forcing everyone to study STEM subjects when there aren’t enough jobs going in that field to make the hard work worth it.

Hard question. I would argue that people studying STEM want to actually work and produce something in society. So even if they are not working in their field they are probably doing something else worthwhile. Also, the fact that jobs like marketing etc require degrees is absolutely ridiculous - it is keeping people ages 16 - 22 from working! And I do not want everyone to study STEM. Obviously if you hate STEM you shouldn't study it. But if you don't study it it is pointless going to university, just work.
Original post by JB2001
I recognise that humanity subjects have academic value and I am more than happy for people to study them and become professors. However, I hate that my parents have to subsidise these subjects which do not produce anything of value for themselves. They have worked hard all of their lives so that they can fund middle class poshos to become 'enlightened' etc.

I can’t tell if you’re an arrogant t**t, a clueless idiot with a chip on your shoulder, or an unfunny troll. I hope no-one out there takes any notice of your ‘advice’. I hope that one day you’ll be mature enough to see what a ridiculous thread this is.
Original post by JB2001
Hard question. I would argue that people studying STEM want to actually work and produce something in society. So even if they are not working in their field they are probably doing something else worthwhile. Also, the fact that jobs like marketing etc require degrees is absolutely ridiculous - it is keeping people ages 16 - 22 from working! And I do not want everyone to study STEM. Obviously if you hate STEM you shouldn't study it. But if you don't study it it is pointless going to university, just work.

See, that’s what I’m saying. Your idea of other subjects being excluded means we’ll have a less varied society, and some people who excel in humanities or languages wouldn’t end up as educated as they could be. It also means that (as some people naturally would want to attend university to get good jobs) lots of people studying the STEM subjects wouldn’t actually have a passion for them. This would result in over-saturation of the field, and lots of students who lose their passion for learning.

Your opinion on jobs like marketing requiring degrees is purely your own. It makes sense that companies would want to hire people who have proven they understand their job and can work hard in something that relates to their chosen field of work (business, economics, perhaps even media). Going to university also proves that, to some extent, you’re relatively smart. But once again, under your system, those without an aptitude for the sciences cannot be smart.

Overall, there’s just not enough full time jobs with training (and progression opportunities) to stick every 18 year old in one if they don’t want to study STEM or Law. Our economy doesn’t work that way. As it is, there’s a lack of part time jobs for students.
Reply 29
For the record I forgot to add accounting to my list, so there is that. I'm noticing alot of negativity from people who either study liberal arts or who are proffesional students. The reality is that you do not need a degree to work your average office job. I'm sorry if I offended anyone who refuses to live outside the sheltered society of higher education. This thread has made me realise how stupid people who study this worthless crap actually are! Acting as if paying a university £40,000 to read a few books proves you are smart. SMART! HAHAHAHAHAH
(edited 5 years ago)
Ah yes love hearing my degree, my parents degrees being called worthless. Makes all the hard work worth it

Dude I know I ain’t smart, took me three years to do alevels, but I got where I want to be
Reply 31
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Reply 32
Original post by Pugglet
Ah yes love hearing my degree, my parents degrees being called worthless. Makes all the hard work worth it

Dude I know I ain’t smart, took me three years to do alevels, but I got where I want to be

I'm glad you got to where you want to be.
Good post, however I believe that all the waste subjects like media studies, art, drama etc they should need upfront payment to the government/uni and no loans should be given out because people that study these subjects will never earn more than £20,000!

Some uni subjects are so pointless, I think to myself why do people study that sort of thing... it's their choice but a bad life decision at best.
(edited 5 years ago)
ITT:
The funniest word-sparring sessions I have ever seen in my life.
The level of competence of subjects involved in the debates whoose debating skills are in-and-of-themselves debatable are in the overly-vocal minority.
(edited 5 years ago)
Well I’m not exactly but it’s close enough
(resit life)
As someone with a first class law degree and masters from a red brick university.. can totally agree with this post with Law being oversaturated and jobs scarce and low paid. Wish I had known this beforehand and have so many friends with Biomedical degrees who can’t even find entry level lab jobs due to the NHS getting smaller. Nightmare
You added accountancy , oh my days ! Obviously not a bad degree but with regards to it’s utility , loads of firms offer the qualification onsite . I agree that not all degrees are worth it and grants should not be given to people wanting to study them, but you’ve disregarded degrees that can be many times more respected in a certain field , or from a specific uni
Original post by JB2001
The reality is that you do not need a degree to work your average office job.

But what you overlook is that for many of them you need a degree to be hired.

You can scream and shout about this all you want, little boy, but that is the reality of much of the labour market in the UK.

And although you may not need a degree to flip a burger, you do need one (or experience of running a business) to organise the flipping of burgers.

https://people.mcdonalds.co.uk/early-career-opportunities/trainee-manager/
I agree that there are other options and that universities aren't for everyone; that's the only part of the OP I agree with. Everything else about it is utter crap. What a great way to kill peoples' ambitions!

My sister had no GCSEs. In fact, I am the only sibling in the family to have actually completed my GCSEs. My sister went to uni and ended up graduating with a Midwifery degree and is intending on going back to uni next year to do a Masters degree. She left her former job as a midwife for a reason I won't mention (it's personal and I don't know the exact details myself). Nevertheless, midwifery is a very important field of work...but I don't see that in your list. Should we not be encouraging midwives? That would be catastrophic cause the NHS is already short of staff as it is.

What about teaching? I don't see that in the list either. Since when wasn't teaching a worthwhile profession? Posts like this are why pupils arte brainwashed into thinking only STEM degrees matter and that GCSE grades are the be-all-end-all. Sure, GCSE grades are important and it's useless denying that...but they don't dictate the whole of your life. I know you didn't mention GCSE grades but it's a worthwhile mention as, like these, your degree doesn't dictate your life either.

It shouldn't matter to you what anyone else studies at university. Some professions don't earn as much money as STEM professions but so what? More money for people like you to earn. Money isn't the only motivator. Just let people study what they're passionate in. Life is what you make of it, so if people pursue what they enjoy rather than what they're told to enjoy, they're gonna fulfil their potential in life. People like you are why people take subjects they don't even like and get bad grades. Stop demotivating people.

Sorry if that turned into a rant but that's my two cents. You don't have to change your opinion of non-STEM degrees if you don't want to...just stop spouting lies to people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending