legallyblind
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am thinking of applying to do Law at Oxbridge (haven't decided which of Oxford and Cambridge I want to apply to yet). About choosing colleges, what should I look for? I am not so concerned with the whole social life/city aspect, I'll be lucky to even get in! i've been told to look at the admission rates for each college from different parts of the world (context: I'm an asian girl from Malaysia). Anything else? Thanks!
Pvdinf111
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by legallyblind)
I am thinking of applying to do Law at Oxbridge (haven't decided which of Oxford and Cambridge I want to apply to yet). About choosing colleges, what should I look for? I am not so concerned with the whole social life/city aspect, I'll be lucky to even get in! i've been told to look at the admission rates for each college from different parts of the world (context: I'm an asian girl from Malaysia). Anything else? Thanks!
Wadham at Oxford is very liberal. I had an interview there and found loads of down to earth people who weren’t snobby or anything
StevetheIcecube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are you going to get a chance to visit the two universities? that's the best way to see which ones you want to apply to.
OxFossil
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For Oxford, there should be absolutely no need to look into admissions statistics for different colleges. Whether or not you are an international student, your chance of getting an offer is independent of the college you apply to, and only Medicine has a quota for the number of international students they take.

Although the year-by-year statistics will show variations between colleges, when averaged out, there is no distinction. If you think about this, you will see why this is so. Oxford is massively oversubscribed for every college and every subject. If one college was known to be easier to get into than another for any reason, it would immediately get inundated by applications for that subject/type of student. It would also lay itself open to legal action by people claiming discrimination according to race, gender and so on.

So choose your college on the basis of common sense criteria like what the accommodation is like, whether the location and buildings appeal to you and so on. Put your main energies into preparing the strongest possible application, rather than trying to 'game the system'.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i've been told to look at the admission rates for each college from different parts of the world
Your sample sizes for that will be absolutely tiny! There are 33ish colleges - i doubt there were even 33 acceptances from Malaysia!

(Original post by OxFossil)
For Oxford, there should be absolutely no need to look into admissions statistics for different colleges. Whether or not you are an international student, your chance of getting an offer is independent of the college you apply to, and only Medicine has a quota for the number of international students they take.

Although the year-by-year statistics will show variations between colleges, when averaged out, there is no distinction. If you think about this, you will see why this is so. Oxford is massively oversubscribed for every college and every subject. If one college was known to be easier to get into than another for any reason, it would immediately get inundated by applications for that subject/type of student. It would also lay itself open to legal action by people claiming discrimination according to race, gender and so on.

So choose your college on the basis of common sense criteria like what the accommodation is like, whether the location and buildings appeal to you and so on. Put your main energies into preparing the strongest possible application, rather than trying to 'game the system'.
That's... just not true though. And i don't think its productive pretending it is.

Maybe over decades the differences average out. But over say the last decade - colleges such as Brasenose and Worcester have been consistently much more competitive than others, and colleges such as Hilda's and LMH have been consistently undersubscribed (although i notice Oxford has removed the stats showing this from their website...).

And while it may not be very true and/or productive to suggest that college choice affects your choice of getting in overall, suggesting that candidates ignore college competitiveness and apply to Worcester anyway when perhaps they like another college just as much, just means more people get pooled to random colleges and the choice is lost entirely.

I think it is a factor to consider among the others.
OxFossil
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Your sample sizes for that will be absolutely tiny! There are 33ish colleges - i doubt there were even 33 acceptances from Malaysia!

That's... just not true though. And i don't think its productive pretending it is.

Maybe over decades the differences average out. But over say the last decade - colleges such as Brasenose and Worcester have been consistently much more competitive than others, and colleges such as Hilda's and LMH have been consistently undersubscribed (although i notice Oxford has removed the stats showing this from their website...).

And while it may not be very true and/or productive to suggest that college choice affects your choice of getting in overall, suggesting that candidates ignore college competitiveness and apply to Worcester anyway when perhaps they like another college just as much, just means more people get pooled to random colleges and the choice is lost entirely.

I think it is a factor to consider among the others.
I am grateful to m'learned friend.

As you say, there is nothing readily available online on admissions data that shows some colleges are undersubscribed. The success rates by college and subject here all appear to show that for every subject, all colleges receive more 'direct applications' than they award places. So how would you substantiate the notion that 'over the last decade...some have been consistently undersubscribed'?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by OxFossil)
I am grateful to m'learned friend.

As you say, there is nothing readily available online on admissions data that shows some colleges are undersubscribed. The success rates by college and subject here all appear to show that for every subject, all colleges receive more 'direct applications' than they award places. So how would you substantiate the notion that 'over the last decade...some have been consistently undersubscribed'?
Semantics. I meant relatively less applied to.

Look at the numbers - less than half of Brasenose applicants who were accepted into Oxford actually got into Brasenose. Whereas 42 out of 49 Hugh's acceptances did.

For many this will be irrelevant but if there is someone who is very torn between say Brasenose and Hugh's, then the only answer is apply to Hugh's. That's both better for the applicant as they get an almost double chance of being accepted into their college of choice, and better for everyone else as another of Brasenose's many fans will be able to get a place there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (114)
15.53%
Uncertainty around my education (120)
16.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (70)
9.54%
Isolating with family (50)
6.81%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (28)
3.81%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (64)
8.72%
Loneliness (78)
10.63%
Financial worries (29)
3.95%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (65)
8.86%
Exposure to negative news/social media (47)
6.4%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (69)
9.4%

Watched Threads