Access to HE- Science

Watch this thread
Anonymous061299
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone could tell me about the structure and content of the access to he course in science. I am currently signed up to begin a health access course in September but after going to the uni open day it sounds as if they want more chemistry than I thought? Also wondering how hard it is to actually get distinctions in the units? I am prepared to work hard as the uni requirements are high for the course I want to do (nutrition) but some chemistry and all of physics I struggle with and it does not come naturally to me. TIA
SettlerOfRatan
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Contact the university to check that they will actually accept the access course you plan to do, the uni I want to go to wouldn't accept some access courses (the OU's one particularly but there were a couple of others it said didn't have enough maths or physics content for the course I planned to do!) so it would have been a massive waste to do one in the sciences and then find out that it was unacceptable.
DCDCo
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I have read a fair bit about this on TSR and there have been various posters suggesting that Access Courses are not sufficient for Undergraduate study. I'll provide an example for you also:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...s/physics-bsc/

UCL, when selecting Access to HE as the qualification, say that this is not sufficient for entry. Therefore - I would highly suggest that you contact your target Uni's before enrolling on your Access Course. They will be able to advise you. If you are targeting a certain Uni, you may have to study A-levels in your own time. It can be done, so don't fret!

Ref Distinctions. There are a number of users on this board who scored 45/45, its possible. Once you get into the groove you kind of know what is required to get the marks. I also scored 45/45. Any specific advice you may want, please feel free to drop me a PM.
Confusedunicorn
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Nutrition has a fairly high level of chemistry which maybe why they need more chemistry than access to health offers? I found for my access course youtube videos were perfect for trying to understand concepts I struggled with. Bozeman science had the perfect selection for my access course. Access starts right at the begining and it is designed for people with no clue on subjects like chem and physics, most of your course will be in the same boat as you, try not too worry yet!

Distinctions are not impossible to get at all, I managed 42/45 at distinction and I'm one of those with no GCSEs and left school at 14 so I had no clue on the science but I still did it and it wasn't too hard to achieve as long as I didnt let myself fall behind and asked for help when needed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
20.43%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
11.83%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.38%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (16)
17.2%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (22)
23.66%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
21.51%

Watched Threads