Are GCSE's Important for Economics LSE and Warwick? Watch

username3671370
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am planning to reapply to these Uni's after receiving my A2 results. I just have a bad feeling that my GCSE's will let me down.
GCSEs: 2A*s 3As 4Bs 2Cs
Suppose for A-Level I got 3A*s 1A and and A* in my EPQ and also a good personal statement.

Please be honest and realistic. These courses are VERY competitive, so would I still stand a chance with these horrible GCSE's?
username3671370
Rep:
?
bump
username3671370
Rep:
?
bump
username3671370
Rep:
?
bump
chesterman123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What subjects did you do in A-levels?
qw1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chesterman123)
In a word, yes, they are important. However, A-levels are obviously the MOST important. So don't worry too much.
username3671370
Rep:
?
(Original post by chesterman123)
Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry
username3671370
Rep:
?
(Original post by qw1234)
In a word, yes, they are important. However, A-levels are obviously the MOST important. So don't worry too much.
Thanks
Professional G
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Guava Juice)
Thanks
Got an offer for Warwick in biomed and my highest GCSE grade is a B so you’ll be fine. 😊
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username3671370
Rep:
?
(Original post by ProRoadman)
Got an offer for Warwick in biomed and my highest GCSE grade is a B so you’ll be fine. 😊
But competition varies from course to course, and so will the entry standard. Economics is one of the most competitive courses at Warwick, hence why i'm worried about my GCSE grades. Thanks for the optimism though
NiceEconTeacher
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, LSE does place significance in GCSE grades for Economics. See the section under "assessing your application" for the LSE Econ course page.

"Applicants should also have already achieved a strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A and A*, or equivalent. Your GCSE (or equivalent) English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B. We also consider your overall GCSE subject profile, and your AS grades, if available."

However, you have got 5A*/As i.e. majority, so I would not worry too much. Also, like the others suggested, having an A* in A-Level Maths and doing well in other A-Levels is actually much more important.
ln._.xn
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In my opinion your GCSEs are not too bad, and your A level grades sound amazing so I don’t see why you wouldn’t be a strong candidate to unis. However LSE’s process of giving out offers is quite odd and unpredictable so there’s no saying if you stand a chance with them or not. In my experience, I’ve had classmates apply to LSE and Warwick for economics and be rejected by LSE but made an offer by Warwick, which gives me the impression that it is probably more likely that Warwick will give you an offer. However this is based on just a few people I know so don’t take it too seriously.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jeffrey8770
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by username3671370)
I am planning to reapply to these Uni's after receiving my A2 results. I just have a bad feeling that my GCSE's will let me down.
Suppose for A-Level I got 3A*s 1A and and A* in my EPQ and also a good personal statement.

Please be honest and realistic. These courses are VERY competitive, so would I still stand a chance with these horrible GCSE's?
Hey I'm a second year econ student at warwick and i got 1A*5B1C in my IGCSE's. So no as much as people on TSR want you to believe you 'need' 7A*'s or more, my guess is that other aspects of your application such as your personal statement and A levels probably matter quite a bit more.
Jeffrey8770
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by username3671370)

As with LSE, I did get rejected in the second round (this was for actuarial science) but they told me this was actually due to my personal statement and not my grades. So I wouldn't say that you don't stand a chance even with LSE despite what some people may say about needing all those A*'s hahaha. And since you have further math i think that might help with your app (i've done it myself) but that might be a bit of a rumor people just like spreading aroud about how FM helps. Good luck and if u get predicted 2A*'s+, id say definitely give it a shot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.49%
Excited (156)
9.1%
Worried (306)
17.85%
Terrified (381)
22.23%
Meh (169)
9.86%
Confused (37)
2.16%