The Student Room Group

Rejected for being shy

There is a guy who I've been in an on-off FWB with for a long time. It's strange though as we hardly see each other. I've always been rubbish with guys and at first when I see him I maybe come across a bit giddy and nervous, but I think it's also because I know I like him more than he likes me, and I just need a bit of time to relax, but we hardly see each other.

He has always kept a certain emotional distance from me and is himself a little shy/uneasy and this in turn makes me feel awkward around him, whereas if I'm fully confident that a guy likes me, then I'm ok.

He has always said he doesn't want a relationship, which is fair enough. But if I've ever dated anyone else or whatnot he's always acted jealous about it. And he keeps on stopping and starting the FWB and it's just been a vicious circle now for a long time.

Yesterday, I kind of lost my temper. I asked him why I was good enough to speak to pretty much daily, to sleep with/send explicit photos etc. to be there for him when he needed me (lending him money etc.) but that I wasn't good enough for him to have the slightest interest in me; we clearly got on, had things in common and were attracted to each other, yet he never even wanted to give me a chance.

He told me that he'd ever date me as I'm shy and he wanted to date someone who actually had self-confidence. Then afterwards he was asking for me to send him a "last photo"

I admit I took it badly, especially that he's shy too and has confidence issues, especially about his appearance which I always try to help him with.

I had a go at him and I told him where he could put his photos. I felt really bad for acting like that and eventually calmed down, I explained that I was just a bit awkward at first given the circumstances (plus he's foreign and I speak his language well but it is not my first language.. so that also restricts me a little), that we hardly saw each other and that obviously with time that would have faded; we spoke daily online etc. so he obviously knew I liked to talk, have a laugh etc.

I feel hurt to be judged for something like that which isn't my fault, and that I try my best with. I wonder if it was a way for him to say that he doesn't have a lot of fun with me..

has anyone else been turned down for this reason? I know I just have to accept it and move on, I cannot change what he thinks. I think it just hurts deep down as I've been bullied a lot for being shy, I've had therapy etc. and I have vastly improved, but i'll always be a bit reserved, though it doesn't mean I don't like having a laugh..
Reply 1
Sounds like a ****. End of story.
He sounds like what Mr Bean would have been if he had been called Mr ****.
Reply 3
and the thing is that I am confident in the other aspects of my life, work etc. it's just that I haven't had a lot of luck with guys. Previously I was in an abusive relationship with a guy who told me constantly that I was boring, people didn't want to know me, another girl he knew was way more interesting etc.. and those words have stuck.

The thing is when I see this guy we discuss all kinds of things, we have a laugh, we've been in a nightclub twice together and we've had a laugh. I've never been a screaming ,squealing type and never will be, I just need a bit of time to relax and I feel like I've been unfairly judged, he told me I'm a "beautiful person" inside and out and I feel like it's a shame he rejects me based on this.
Original post by Anonymous
There is a guy who I've been in an on-off FWB with for a long time. It's strange though as we hardly see each other. I've always been rubbish with guys and at first when I see him I maybe come across a bit giddy and nervous, but I think it's also because I know I like him more than he likes me, and I just need a bit of time to relax, but we hardly see each other.

He has always kept a certain emotional distance from me and is himself a little shy/uneasy and this in turn makes me feel awkward around him, whereas if I'm fully confident that a guy likes me, then I'm ok.

He has always said he doesn't want a relationship, which is fair enough. But if I've ever dated anyone else or whatnot he's always acted jealous about it. And he keeps on stopping and starting the FWB and it's just been a vicious circle now for a long time.

Yesterday, I kind of lost my temper. I asked him why I was good enough to speak to pretty much daily, to sleep with/send explicit photos etc. to be there for him when he needed me (lending him money etc.) but that I wasn't good enough for him to have the slightest interest in me; we clearly got on, had things in common and were attracted to each other, yet he never even wanted to give me a chance.

He told me that he'd ever date me as I'm shy and he wanted to date someone who actually had self-confidence. Then afterwards he was asking for me to send him a "last photo"

I admit I took it badly, especially that he's shy too and has confidence issues, especially about his appearance which I always try to help him with.

I had a go at him and I told him where he could put his photos. I felt really bad for acting like that and eventually calmed down, I explained that I was just a bit awkward at first given the circumstances (plus he's foreign and I speak his language well but it is not my first language.. so that also restricts me a little), that we hardly saw each other and that obviously with time that would have faded; we spoke daily online etc. so he obviously knew I liked to talk, have a laugh etc.

I feel hurt to be judged for something like that which isn't my fault, and that I try my best with. I wonder if it was a way for him to say that he doesn't have a lot of fun with me..

has anyone else been turned down for this reason? I know I just have to accept it and move on, I cannot change what he thinks. I think it just hurts deep down as I've been bullied a lot for being shy, I've had therapy etc. and I have vastly improved, but i'll always be a bit reserved, though it doesn't mean I don't like having a laugh..

Don’t let him get you down. There’s nothing bad about being shy. I think shy girls are cool and would be willing to take things further. This guy doesn’t respect who you are.
Reply 5
and the thing is that I am confident in the other aspects of my life, work etc. it's just that I haven't had a lot of luck with guys. Previously I was in an abusive relationship with a guy who told me constantly that I was boring, people didn't want to know me, another girl he knew was way more interesting etc.. and those words have stuck.

The thing is when I see this guy we discuss all kinds of things, we have a laugh, we've been in a nightclub twice together and we've had a laugh. I've never been a screaming ,squealing type and never will be, I just need a bit of time to relax and I feel like I've been unfairly judged, he told me I'm a "beautiful person" inside and out and I feel like it's a shame he rejects me based on this.

He's coming up with excuses. He wants to use you without the commitment.

Chances are he doesn't actually think you're shy, but because you'll have likely talked about it in the past he's using it as an easy excuse.

It's his issue. Not yours.

Sounds like he has Autism ,does he like going out to parties and clubs?
If he clearly said he is not interested in dating you, I suggest ending the ****buddy thing asap. Unless you can cut any remaining emotional ties and treat is as gym equivalent.
Reply 8
Thanks a lot for the replies! They're really helpful :smile: Now he's told me i'm "not sociable enough". The thing is, it's not even true. I'm in my late 20s with a full-time job; a job in which I am in constant contact with people. When I don't work, I go out, see my friends, hobbies, usual stuff. I'm always chatting to people online too. I really have no idea what he's comparing me to, I told him I'm no longer 18 and a student, I don't go out on the lash every night and I live a typical life that most adults live.
Reply 9
Obviously neither of you are shy if you have been in a FWB relationship. So why are you believing any BS that either of you are shy?
yeah most men like dating mouthy b itches. its the sad truth. they say they don't like them but really they do. so become a loud mouthed b itch and watch the offers rolling in
I ain't got time for loud *****es. If hold so little decency to know when it is right to speak and when it is right to shut the **** up then you ain't for most reasonable people.
This guy is not your type.

Find someone your type.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending