Professional Practice Dissertation help - LPC LLM University of Law

Watch
LawTofu
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi there

I am looking to do the a dissertation to bump my LPC diploma up to a Masters. I've had my first dissertation proposal rejected because it was too much of an "academic" dissertation. The feedback that I got was that I need much more of a practice focus. Apparently the purpose of the dissertation is a report to fellow lawyers rather than an academic discussion of something.

I'm having trouble getting my head round the practice thing. Is it just always making sure you refer back to what you would advise a client?

The other thing I'm worried about is being too descriptive. I'm aware that you don't get marks for just describing the law but surely you have to describe the law in order to explain how you would advise a client?

Any help from anyone who's already done one of these would be really appreciated. I feel like there's not really much guidance from my uni (I'm doing the distance learning course) and I'm really stuck! Thanks very much
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LawTofu)
Hi there

I am looking to do the a dissertation to bump my LPC diploma up to a Masters. I've had my first dissertation proposal rejected because it was too much of an "academic" dissertation. The feedback that I got was that I need much more of a practice focus. Apparently the purpose of the dissertation is a report to fellow lawyers rather than an academic discussion of something.

I'm having trouble getting my head round the practice thing. Is it just always making sure you refer back to what you would advise a client?

The other thing I'm worried about is being too descriptive. I'm aware that you don't get marks for just describing the law but surely you have to describe the law in order to explain how you would advise a client?

Any help from anyone who's already done one of these would be really appreciated. I feel like there's not really much guidance from my uni (I'm doing the distance learning course) and I'm really stuck! Thanks very much
If you have done the LPC then you will notice the difference in that it is more vocational knowledge. Less judgments and more how it will take effect in real life. It is a different type of knowledge.

You are concerned with law, but you are always looking at how it works in practice, procedures, deadlines and what is effective. No idea what your title is, but you should just appreciate if its meant to be of interest to a practitioner, then they need to be shown why its relevant and how they can take advantage of it. It is a change of emphasis.
Academic Booster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi , i can help you
Clavers
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What'sapp me +1 (518) 655-9794
SKuLaw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Clavers)
What'sap
Hi - I am in exactly the same position as LawTofu above in respect of the dissertation, can you please help? I'm stuck and have apparently exhausted all my chances of getting feedback on my proposals!
LawTofu
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by SKuLaw)
Hi - I am in exactly the same position as LawTofu above in respect of the dissertation, can you please help? I'm stuck and have apparently exhausted all my chances of getting feedback on my proposals!
Hi there, OP here

I finished my dissertation in the end and passed it etc. What a weight off.

The way I got my head round it was to frame my advice as if it were to a law firm. So I picked a topic...let's call it X (don't know how much I can say without getting in trouble?) and then used the question "How will X affect law firms". Then in the report I described what X would need to do and how X would affect advising their clients and stuff.

I can't remember exactly why I decided to do it that way. I think it was because talking about what the law firm had to do and what it would do in relation to its clients reinforced or doubled-down on the PRACTICE element. I think, sorry, it's been a year since I did it.

But I hope that helps? Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.
SKuLaw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by LawTofu)
Hi there, OP here

I finished my dissertation in the end and passed it etc. What a weight off.

The way I got my head round it was to frame my advice as if it were to a law firm. So I picked a topic...let's call it X (don't know how much I can say without getting in trouble?) and then used the question "How will X affect law firms". Then in the report I described what X would need to do and how X would affect advising their clients and stuff.

I can't remember exactly why I decided to do it that way. I think it was because talking about what the law firm had to do and what it would do in relation to its clients reinforced or doubled-down on the PRACTICE element. I think, sorry, it's been a year since I did it.

But I hope that helps? Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.
Hi -

Congratulations! That must be such a relief.

That is actually really helpful.

Thanks so much!! Really really appreciate your response
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (186)
29.06%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.56%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.06%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.44%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.97%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.84%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.94%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.13%

Watched Threads