The Student Room Group

Any non-native English speakers taken GCSE English?

My boyfriend, who is Italian, is looking to apply to uni next year and needs a B in GCSE maths and english and unfortunately his Italian equivalent grades are too low so he will need to take these here.

Maths he is ok with, but I am worried English will be difficult due to it not being his native language - has anyone else taken this and what grade did you get?

He does speak English fluently and has lived and worked here for nearly 2 years, but it obviously isn't his native language and he hasn't studied it since school over 5 years ago so I am not sure how much of an impact that will have.
Reply 1
I'm not English and I did GCSE this year. I don't know what are my grades yet, but my English language predicted grade is 5-6. I moved to England in 2016 and I started my education in year 10. At the beginning of year 10 I understood about 30% of what are people talking about. My English was horrible and I had a huge language barrier. Now I understand 95% of English and my English has been much improved so your boyfriend have to believe that he will pass his GCSE English language and it doesn't matter if he is English or Italian because the knowledge and skills are the most important :smile: He is lucky because you are English native speaker so you can help him. Just go to visit AQA website and find there past papers for your boyfriend and then try to correct mistakes if he did any mistakes. If he speak fluently English he will probably pass:smile:
Is taking IELTS not an option instead?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending