Any recruitment consultants here?

Watch this thread
Proxenus
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So ive just graduated in an engineering degree and im hunting for jobs

I came across recruitment consultants position in various companies and they all seem to be offering a high salary due to uncapped commission

look at the image it seems to good to be true

im going to apply for the trainee as i dont have the commerical skills

what are the chances i would be getting the figures as shown in pic? Image
username738914
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Proxenus)

I came across recruitment consultants position in various companies and they all seem to be offering a high salary due to uncapped commission

Recruiting is sales. Literally, sales.

If you're comfortable with that and all the requirements that come with doing sales then go for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
To learn all those complex mathematical formulae just to end up telling other people they're perfect for X company. Sounds like a waste.
Engineering is one of those fields that aren't short of jobs where your knowledge will be applied to practical situations.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Very slim, unless you are a social butterfly with the gift of the gab.
Black Cat
Badges: 20
Report 3 years ago

Recruitment positions are rife one of the fields that you could easily get into after graduating. I nearly ended up in a recruitment role last year, but decided to take another job. I'd say it's a good place to get started for short term gains and experience not so much long term.
Joshyouare
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I've been in recruitment before - there's a lot of money in it.

I'd say there's more money in recruitment than investment banking.

However like any other sales job - if you're not a natural and have no confidence then those figures which you are seeing are not really realistic.

Recruitment is a harsh industry with the highest turnover in staff - however if you're good at it, you'll be rich.
username738914
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Joshyouare)

I'd say there's more money in recruitment than investment banking.
LOOOOOOOL good one

I'm sure the MDs recruiters place are making less than the recruiters themselves... (hint: they aren't).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joshyouare
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
LOOOOOOOL good one

I'm sure the MDs recruiters place are making less than the recruiters themselves... (hint: they aren't).

Posted from TSR Mobile
LMAO THANKS.

In terms of employees, recruitment has more potential short term in my opinion.
username738914
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
LMAO THANKS.

In terms of employees, recruitment has more potential short term in my opinion.
Who goes into a career for the short term?

Expected value of a career in recruiting is much lower than in any traditionally well paying jobs.. It's a sales gig, end of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joshyouare
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Who goes into a career for the short term?

Expected value of a career in recruiting is much lower than in any traditionally well paying jobs.. It's a sales gig, end of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just as an example, Investment Banking positions usually start off about the 30k mark - and that's graduate positions - maybe 20k for trainees.

However recruiters are uncapped.

A good friend has 2 house mortgages, an 18 plate Mercedes C Class and has travelled the world and he's just turned 19. Earning over 100k in his second year of recruitment. So I guess these are the people who are looking short term - and it's not exactly short term because he can continue at that level.

On the other hand I do know some people who are high up in Investment Banking firms (JP Morgan mainly) and are earning 600k+

But it's taken them 20 years to get there. Plus, the higher the wage of an Investment Banker, the more a recruiter gets.
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
usually these companies have a series of unattainable targets they expect you to meet to get even your basic salary..quite often they are scams
hannah00
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Just as an example, Investment Banking positions usually start off about the 30k mark - and that's graduate positions - maybe 20k for trainees.

A good friend has 2 house mortgages, an 18 plate Mercedes C Class and has travelled the world and he's just turned 19. Earning over 100k in his second year of recruitment. So I guess these are the people who are looking short term - and it's not exactly short term because he can continue at that level.

On the other hand I do know some people who are high up in Investment Banking firms (JP Morgan mainly) and are earning 600k+

But it's taken them 20 years to get there. Plus, the higher the wage of an Investment Banker, the more a recruiter gets.
graduate and trainee is the same thing... salary is more like 37k+ than 20k

Recruiter only gets paid 10% of the wage of the first year, its not recurring income.

Secondly, when you start of a recruitment consultant you wont be placing people in senior investment banking jobs, most likely be working on finding people to work as receptionists who earn 16k
username738914
Rep:
Report 3 years ago

All of this is wrong.

Analysts (graduates) start on £50k base, all-in £75-90k first year. By their third year, they make £110-125k all-in. 10 years after that 2nd/3rd, ~£650-750k. Numbers get very nice if they make it to the buyside instead of staying.

Most people wash out though (as they also do in recruitment consuling), but at least they can wash out into a comfortable corporate job that would yield ~£200-250k a year by the time they'd have made MD if they stayed in finance.

Recruiters wash out into whatever they can scramble to find.

Even back office people start on way more than your supposed "graduate" number at £35-45k, progressing to comfortably over £100-150k by the time they're ~30+. All for very chill hours and work that doesn't require much thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joshyouare
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
All of this is wrong.

Analysts (graduates) start on £50k base, all-in £75-90k first year. By their third year, they make £110-125k all-in. 10 years after that 2nd/3rd, ~£650-750k. Numbers get very nice if they make it to the buyside instead of staying.

Most people wash out though (as they also do in recruitment consuling), but at least they can wash out into a comfortable corporate job that would yield ~£200-250k a year by the time they'd have made MD if they stayed in finance.

Recruiters wash out into whatever they can scramble to find.

Even back office people start on way more than your supposed "graduate" number at £35-45k, progressing to comfortably over £100-150k by the time they're ~30+. All for very chill hours and work that doesn't require much thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not at all; this is some absolute garbage.

Firstly, the most incorrect statement in this is "for very chill hours". If you think investment banking or recruitment is chilled hours then the rest of your points should not be taken into account.

And you have to be extremely high up to reach the 600k+ salaries. Not many people at all get there.
Joshyouare
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hannah00)
graduate and trainee is the same thing... salary is more like 37k+ than 20k

Recruiter only gets paid 10% of the wage of the first year, its not recurring income.

Secondly, when you start of a recruitment consultant you wont be placing people in senior investment banking jobs, most likely be working on finding people to work as receptionists who earn 16k
Well, a trainee can be after A Levels. I just forgot to put A Level in front of the trainee.

And that very much depends, I was placing people in senior positions at Jet 2 within 3 months. And yes, 10% of that is a lot of money.
username738914
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Not at all; this is some absolute garbage.

Firstly, the most incorrect statement in this is "for very chill hours". If you think investment banking or recruitment is chilled hours then the rest of your points should not be taken into account.

And you have to be extremely high up to reach the 600k+ salaries. Not many people at all get there.
1. i've done an internship at a bank, i know what I'm talking about.

2. your reading comprehension sucks, "chill hours" is for back office roles

3. "extremely high up" in banking means head of a group or division.. those guys are on mid 7 figures or more. a regular newly promoted line MD with 12-15 years experience is not 'extremely high up'.
Joshyouare
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
1. i've done an internship at a bank, i know what I'm talking about.

2. your reading comprehension sucks, "chill hours" is for back office roles

3. "extremely high up" in banking means head of a group or division.. those guys are on mid 7 figures or more. a regular newly promoted line MD with 12-15 years experience is not 'extremely high up'.
Reading comprehension isn't really going to end well for you if you're trying to get at me with that.

Anyhow, people doing "chill hours" don't earn 40k my friend. By back office people who do you mean?

And I do indeed know what high up in a banking firm means, and I would say that being head of a division in one of the biggest investment banking firms is "extremely high up". And that's where these mid 7 figures are.

BUT hold on a minute everyone, you've done an internship. ahahahahaha typical.
username738914
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Reading comprehension isn't really going to end well for you if you're trying to get at me with that.

Anyhow, people doing "chill hours" don't earn 40k my friend. By back office people who do you mean?

And I do indeed know what high up in a banking firm means, and I would say that being head of a division in one of the biggest investment banking firms is "extremely high up". And that's where these mid 7 figures are.

BUT hold on a minute everyone, you've done an internship. ahahahahaha typical.
back office = operations, corporate functions etc. i would consider 8am-5/6pm chill hours vs the 6am-5/6pm traders/salespeople pull or the 65-80+ hour weeks bankers pull.

tbh, this is a waste of time. you literally have 0 personal experience of this industry - who tf suggests anyone in I-banking makes £20k? it's like I'm arguing to myself.
Joshyouare
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
back office = operations, corporate functions etc. i would consider 8am-5/6pm chill hours vs the 6am-5/6pm traders/salespeople pull or the 65-80+ hour weeks bankers pull.

tbh, this is a waste of time. you literally have 0 personal experience of this industry - who tf suggests anyone in I-banking makes £20k? it's like I'm arguing to myself.
Seen as we're on the topic of reading comprehension, this topic is actually about recruitment. I only mentioned Investment Banking to compare - and I still stick by my comparison.

And yeah, but to most people (especially graduates) I think 10 hours a day is definitely not your so called chill hours. Anyway that's beside the point so lets leave that one hahahaha.

I actually have as much experience as you, if not more, doing placements at Barclays in Leeds and JP Morgan in London.

And in recruitment, i'm sure my experience outweighs yours So I can speak for both.

Whereas you seem to have done one internship and think you're already an investment banker. Not the case.
hannah00
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Well, a trainee can be after A Levels. I just forgot to put A Level in front of the trainee.

And that very much depends, I was placing people in senior positions at Jet 2 within 3 months. And yes, 10% of that is a lot of money.
I doubt you were.

10% is alot of money, but you are relying on factors outside of your control like you candidate being offered the position and meeting the minimum threshold each month. Recruitment consultant jobs are not real jobs or advertising achievable incomes, glorified multi level marketing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
41.58%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
18.56%
No (116)
39.86%

Watched Threads