The Student Room Group

Should I drop Further Maths?

I'm currently at the end of year 12 and deciding whether to continue on with further maths next year. My school does it so that you do most of the normal a level course this year with a few further topics but most of the further topics get covered in second year.

I do physics and chemistry alongside. I'm being predicted A*s in maths and physics, an A in chemistry and then a D in further maths. I want to apply for mech engineering at some top unis (e.g. oxford and imperial).

I'm worried that if I continue going it'll look bad having a D in my predicted grades and it'll be better to have A*A*A rather than A*A*AD? and i can focus more on my normal maths a level.

the only reason i'd keep going is because it would probably be extremely helpful to know all this stuff as I'll have to learn it all anyway once i get to uni.
Reply 1
It's possible that you will get an offer for just 3 A-levels. In which case, it wouldn't make a difference if you dropped it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by peacheyroses
I'm currently at the end of year 12 and deciding whether to continue on with further maths next year. My school does it so that you do most of the normal a level course this year with a few further topics but most of the further topics get covered in second year.

I do physics and chemistry alongside. I'm being predicted A*s in maths and physics, an A in chemistry and then a D in further maths. I want to apply for mech engineering at some top unis (e.g. oxford and imperial).

I'm worried that if I continue going it'll look bad having a D in my predicted grades and it'll be better to have A*A*A rather than A*A*AD? and i can focus more on my normal maths a level.

the only reason i'd keep going is because it would probably be extremely helpful to know all this stuff as I'll have to learn it all anyway once i get to uni.

If you are not enjoying further maths or are struggling with it, it might be better to drop it regardless of how it might impact your Oxford or Imperial applications. You will have plenty of options with your other subjects, especially with those grades.
Drop it and re take your AS to improve that D
You’ll find that the 2nd year Maths work may make it look easy

Quick Reply

Latest