The Student Room Group

Masters abroad or UK

I'm going into my third year of uni this September (studying Sociology) and am starting to think about what to do come this time next year when I've finished. I know I want to do the Government Social Research civil service fast stream, but I'm also tempted by the idea of a Masters degree in social research (quantitative). I'm undecided where I would want to do this, potentially stay in Liverpool where I am now or maybe Manchester. But I'm also tempted by Holland as it is much cheaper and they do a lot of English taught courses. However, would I be eligible for student finance at masters level if I study abroad? (I'm a British citizen). I've found an MSC Social Sciences Research course at the University of Amsterdam I really like the sound of, and its only around 2000 euros.
Original post by bjf23817
I'm going into my third year of uni this September (studying Sociology) and am starting to think about what to do come this time next year when I've finished. I know I want to do the Government Social Research civil service fast stream, but I'm also tempted by the idea of a Masters degree in social research (quantitative). I'm undecided where I would want to do this, potentially stay in Liverpool where I am now or maybe Manchester. But I'm also tempted by Holland as it is much cheaper and they do a lot of English taught courses. However, would I be eligible for student finance at masters level if I study abroad? (I'm a British citizen). I've found an MSC Social Sciences Research course at the University of Amsterdam I really like the sound of, and its only around 2000 euros.

You won't be eligible for student finance if you do your masters abroad (maybe do some research yourself). If unsure about a masters maybe work for a bit and see if you need it/still want to do it.

Up to you whether you want to work or study, we're not going to make that decision for you.

As for your question, I copy and pasted it into google and the first link gave the answer. Just saying.
I wasn't asking anybody to make a decision for me but simply stating that I am undecided. No need for rude responses.

Original post by Duncan2012
Up to you whether you want to work or study, we're not going to make that decision for you.

As for your question, I copy and pasted it into google and the first link gave the answer. Just saying.
I did do so thanks. Read a lot of mixed information, hence why I came here.

Original post by alleycat393
You won't be eligible for student finance if you do your masters abroad (maybe do some research yourself). If unsure about a masters maybe work for a bit and see if you need it/still want to do it.
I did do so thanks. Read a lot of mixed information, hence why I came here.

I study at University of Nottingham right now, im an EU student...so i totally plan on doing a masters in the netherlands as its much cheaper and pretty prestigious, i think the university of amsterdam is 55th globally and even in the top 100 in US news rankings so well worth it. Besides even if an employer didnt know the university, they are gonna think its the Uni of Amsterdam, cant be trash.

There are ways around the costs, for example if you work about 20 hours a week you can get a grant from the dutch government for study to get some help with living costs, you can also get a loan for the tuition fee, obviously its not the same kind of SFE support you would get in the UK, but if you really think about it, to do a proper masters at a nice university your looking at minimum 7-8k in fees, and you ONLY get the postgrad loan its like £10,000 so you will need to work NO MATTER what decision you make. If you do some research into it i think it would be a great idea to do a master in the netherlands as it looks amazing on the CV, you can definitely find a little job somewhere in the netherlands to hold you over water im sure. Obv easier if your a girl but either way.

Me personally, i have already a decent salary coming in from my rental property (10 flats) so no matter WHAT im def doing my master in the netherlands, so i am a bit biased.
Thank you for your detailed reply! And good luck with your studies!

Original post by Realitysreflexx
I study at University of Nottingham right now, im an EU student...so i totally plan on doing a masters in the netherlands as its much cheaper and pretty prestigious, i think the university of amsterdam is 55th globally and even in the top 100 in US news rankings so well worth it. Besides even if an employer didnt know the university, they are gonna think its the Uni of Amsterdam, cant be trash.

There are ways around the costs, for example if you work about 20 hours a week you can get a grant from the dutch government for study to get some help with living costs, you can also get a loan for the tuition fee, obviously its not the same kind of SFE support you would get in the UK, but if you really think about it, to do a proper masters at a nice university your looking at minimum 7-8k in fees, and you ONLY get the postgrad loan its like £10,000 so you will need to work NO MATTER what decision you make. If you do some research into it i think it would be a great idea to do a master in the netherlands as it looks amazing on the CV, you can definitely find a little job somewhere in the netherlands to hold you over water im sure. Obv easier if your a girl but either way.

Me personally, i have already a decent salary coming in from my rental property (10 flats) so no matter WHAT im def doing my master in the netherlands, so i am a bit biased.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending